AMD Announces "From Scratch" Next Generation High-Performance x86 & ARM Cores

I think if they could put a R9 series graphics on the APU then it will be a big thing. Then fix the dual graphics setup. or maybe i'm daydreaming again LOL

I'm fairly certain that won't work, at least not on the 28 nm manufacturing process.  The Hawaii GPU is a rather large die that puts out a lot of heat and Steamroller, and likely Excavator to follow, put out a lot of their own heat.  You would be looking at a rather impressive cooling solution to make this work, something like a water block the size of a conventional air cooling heatsink, not to mention the minimum twin 240 mm radiators.  There is also the die size issue; you might remember that the original Titan was a big deal, not only for its performance and price, but for the GK110 GPU using the largest die that TSMC could make, combining 4-8 steamroller or excavator cores with a Hawaii class GPU would definitely run over that size limit.  This may be possible if they moved to a 14 nm manufacturing process (or even 16 nm), but currently the only company even close to that capability is Intel, and they aren't just going to let AMD use their fabs.

Something I'd advocate for though, is having a socketted GPU, much like the CPU, and still go with the HSA paradigm.  Taking this even further, one could have socketted x86-64 CPU(s), ARMv8 CPU(s) and GPU(s) all accessing the same memory.  By the time they got that far, that is IF they decide to go that direction, /*IF*/, DDR4 will likely be out and hopefully offer all of the high bandwidth goodness of GDDR5 for the GPU(s) and low lantency goodness for the CPU(s).

Finally AMD, hope this is on the fm2+ socket

Will likely launch with a new socket and platform.

even if it did, i'm sure if the new cpu yields better performance, most people won't care if they need a new mobo

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

Yes, Yes, Yes, Jim Keller is the boom, he made AMD kick Intel's ass back in the day, I wonder if he will be able to do it again

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

@LinusTech @Slick I just finished watching the livestream and I'm very surprised you guys didn't talk about this... ?

8 true cores > 4 cores with HT

The reason current FX processors aren't the greatest is because of the module architecture.

Thanks for clearing that up!

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

@LinusTech @Slick I just finished watching the livestream and I'm very surprised you guys didn't talk about this... ?

The show was kinda all over the place, and split up into a couple pieces. Their guest didn't even show up and a good chunk of the time was just BS'ing around. So yeah, not really much content got covered. 

Niiiice, finally going to see something new. I just hope they ship them with better stock coolers this time round.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

8 true cores > 4 cores with HT

The reason current FX processors aren't the greatest is because of the module architecture.

Bulldozers family is rather complicated.

It is NOT 8 true cores. It is not 8 individial cores.

AMD is using an technology called CMT (Cluster-core, what AMD calls modules).

This is "fusion" two cores into one, removing redundant parts.

An CMT core (FX 8350 have 4 CMT cores) is an single frontend for two backends.

Bulldozers family is rather complicated.

It is NOT 8 true cores. It is not 8 individial cores.

AMD is using an technology called CMT (Cluster-core, what AMD calls modules).

This is "fusion" two cores into one, removing redundant parts.

An CMT core (FX 8350 have 4 CMT cores) is an single frontend for two backends.

You do understand not reading the thread in its entirely can make you look like a fool. My post is talking about K16 architecture, not K15.

8 true cores > 4 cores with HT < K16

The reason current FX processors aren't the greatest is because of the module architecture. < K15

You do understand not reading the thread in its entirely can make you look like a fool. My post is talking about K16 architecture, not K15.

AMD was talking about having bigger individual cores, so I doubt if we will see an 8 core with their next generation.

AMD was talking about having bigger individual cores, so I doubt if we will see an 8 core with their next generation.

Intel could be launching 8 core Haswell-E's this year, so AMD really has no choice if they want to stay in the enthusiast market. Especially once you consider it will be 2016 at least before we even see this new architecture. Game ports from next gen consoles will be favoring 8 cores as well. So really, I don't see K16 not having a 8 core variant regardless to how good the architecture is.

Intel could be launching 8 core Haswell-E's this year, so AMD really has no choice if they want to stay in the enthusiast market. Especially once you consider it will be 2016 at least before we even see this new architecture. Game ports from next gen consoles will be favoring 8 cores as well. So really, I don't see K16 not having a 8 core variant regardless to how good the architecture is.

Well, looking at the current architecture, they needed to include CMT to get the 8 "cores". They needed to remove redundant part, to be space efficient.

It doesn't really have much diespace to play around with, hence why APUs aren't featuring L3 cache.

Intels extreme processor would be an 8 core. My guess is that only the core I7 5960x(?) would be the 8 core.

AMD saying they will featuring bigger cores, and more cores simply doesn't sound logical for me. I might be missing some information.

Well, looking at the current architecture, they needed to include CMT to get the 8 "cores". They needed to remove redundant part, to be space efficient.

It doesn't really have much diespace to play around with, hence why APUs aren't featuring L3 cache.

Intels extreme processor would be an 8 core. My guess is that only the core I7 5960x(?) would be the 8 core.

AMD saying they will featuring bigger cores, and more cores simply doesn't sound logical for me. I might be missing some information.

die shrink? seems the only option apart from stacking resources. unless they go for stacked cache

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

About time AMD worked on IPC and stopped just shoving more cores :P

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

die shrink? seems the only option apart from stacking resources. unless they go for stacked cache

I did read somewhere that the next gen GPU's from AMD will use some new sort of stacked GDDR RAM. perhaps they can translate this to the new CPU's?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I did read somewhere that the next gen GPU's from AMD will use some new sort of stacked GDDR RAM. perhaps they can translate this to the new CPU's?

that is a similar concept but still different. with stacked DRAM you take the already made dram chips and stack them (hence the name) on top of the gpu, allowing a much more direct access to them.

with cache (L3 here, since L1 and 2 are an integral part of each core and cluster) its a bit different, since its already connected to the chip (being in it and all) its just that now you print the transistors in 2 layers. that can be done through some clever physics, but the point is, since you have the cache transistors right above the "working" ones, they are effectively using the same die space, hence more can be used for both working and cache transistors, increasing the power of processors immensly as you basically double the die area, so its (roughly) a processor with double the cache, AND double the IPC/cores

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

i would love having more cores  :lol: lol (i have no idea why people complain for this)

let's just say AMD decide do a new XX cpu multicore (with is actual technology)  :rolleyes:

old 8 cores was on 32nm, the new cores will be on 28nm, with more room for more cores or iGPU (yey)  ^_^

and new modules can have 4 cores for module i think (add that 4 modules are equal 16 cores)  :D

yea B) i want this

(don't ask why)  :ph34r:

http://www.techpowerup.com/199984/samsung-and-globalfoundries-to-deliver-multi-sourced-14-nm-finfet-offering.html

http://wccftech.com/amd-tapes-20nm-14nm-finfet-chips-1h-2014/

yap, SAMSUNG it's a partner of AMD in the HSA foundation, and GOFLO it's AMD major silicon provider, so i  think the next genaration of AMD X86 and X86+ARM will be in 14 nm finfet or something similar. so yap i can see 2+igpu,4+igpu,6,8 cores in the 2016 processor

i would love having more cores  :lol: lol (i have no idea why people complain for this)

let's just say AMD decide do a new XX cpu multicore (with is actual technology)  :rolleyes:

old 8 cores was on 32nm, the new cores will be on 28nm, with more room for more cores or iGPU (yey)  ^_^

and new modules can have 4 cores for module i think (add that 4 modules are equal 16 cores)  :D

yea B) i want this

(don't ask why)  :ph34r:

4-way CMT technology? No way, that would be terrible. Imagine the huge frontend you would need. They would run into way to many problems.

Finally something can could actually be interesting. Let's face it APU's are not interesting. High performance CPU's are.

This guy gets it. We're done here.

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

About time AMD worked on IPC and stopped just shoving more cores :P

BUT MORE CORE MEAN MORE MONEY

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

Now that Jim Keller is back and has worked on this for 2 years, intel will have a run for their money.

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V