AMD Announces "From Scratch" Next Generation High-Performance x86 & ARM Cores

Are these like the FX 8350 and not some APU? :)

I think if they could put a R9 series graphics on the APU then it will be a big thing. Then fix the dual graphics setup. or maybe i'm daydreaming again LOL

There are already R9 290 cores in the newest APUs.

*sigh*  I was hoping on seeing a CPU with hyper-threading. Am I the only one who would love to see a hyper-threaded AMD CPU, that outputs less heat than the current FX line?

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

*sigh*  I was hoping on seeing a CPU with hyper-threading. Am I the only one who would love to see a hyper-threaded AMD CPU, that outputs less heat than the current FX line?

Hyper-threading, cache, frequency all meaningless as long as the chip performs like crap.

The Pentium 4 Netburst architecture supported Hyper-threading but it did not help it suck any less.

It doesn't matter what branded technology a processor has, as long as the performance is there everyone will be happy,

8 true cores > 4 cores with HT

The reason current FX processors aren't the greatest is because of the module architecture.

8 true cores > 4 cores with HT

The reason current FX processors aren't the greatest is because of the module architecture.

when you say module architecture what does that mean?

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

when you say module architecture what does that mean?

Physical hyperthreading..one "module" that can be accessed as two cores..

Physical hyperthreading..one "module" that can be accessed as two cores..

Ah, got it. Thank you

Also the title said that amd is going back to "made from scratch", was amd not making them from scratch 

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

Well this is some weird news for me. I am a big fan of AMD's enthusiast chips as they are high performance for their price. However, this is sort of a last hurrah which means they'll be gone after this and we won't be getting "vanilla" chips anymore. Hopefully by that time APUs are sophisticated enough to rival plain chips.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790S 3.2/4.0 GHz  GPU: HIS AMD Radeon R9 285 2GB GDDR5  Motherboard: ASUS Pro Gamer H97  RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz  

PSU: NZXT HALE82 700W  Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS5X Performa  Case: NZXT H230 

Woho great news!

Finally we might be able to get some decent single threaded performance CPUs from AMD. The fact that Intel has been taking baby steps CPU performance wise for the last 2 generations means AMD now has the chance to make a really good comeback.

I'll keep my expectations as low as possible though, and I suggest everyone else to do the same. It's better to get a glad surprised by it exceeding very low expectations, than it is to have it not meet unrealistic expectations.

Interestingly Rory Read referred to the new high performance x86 and ARM architectures as sister cores. They probably are very similar.
And the fact that they're combining the insanely high 5Ghz+ frequencies of Bulldozer with the efficiency and small size of Jaguar means AMD can pack a lot of cores on a single slab of silicon. Perhaps this new core will be in the future consoles.

Oh God I hope not. All ARM cores sucks ass in terms of performance.

It's also too soon for new console hardware, unless they expect to launch this architecture like 5-10 years from now (which I sure hope not). I mean, the slide says 2016+ but the new consoles won't be here until at least 2020.

My inner fanboy is currently partying. ;)

All aboard the AMD hype train!

1349618399963.gif

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

Ahh, who am I kidding, I always vote for the underdog. I'm super psyched for a new AMD chip!

Finally something can could actually be interesting. Let's face it APU's are not interesting. High performance CPU's are.

I think the reason APUs aren't interesting is the numbers. The idea of a CPU/GPU combo at a cost effective price, that would make small form factor gaming rigs extremely viable, to me, is interesting. At present though, their APUs deliver a console experience, not a PC Gaming experience. They fell short, and let's face it, how many times has AMD made bold claims and then fell short?

I hate to be the skeptic here, but I'll believe their bold claims when I see it

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

So from what I could gather AMD is combining the benefits of both Cat (small efficient cores in the PS4,XB1) and Bulldozer (very high frequency design) into one design. And is no longer going to develop two separate low power & high performance cores like they did with Bulldozer & Jaguar.
They're going to consolidate their efforts into one new core design.

The new x86 core will address the desktop, laptop and server spaces.
AMD will address the tablet space with tuned A57 ARM core and will address micro-servers with the new ARM K12 core.

what about high performance APUs? Probably won't exist, but hey.  ^_^

They are called Intel I3 I5 and I7

An APU is a processor with graphics cores on the chip.. thats your average intel I series processor in a nutshell.. they may not call them APUs.. but that does not make any real diference in what they are.

They are called Intel I3 I5 and I7

An APU is a processor with graphics cores on the chip.. thats your average intel I series processor in a nutshell.. they may not call them APUs.. but that does not make any real diference in what they are.

Actually there's one big difference, which is that Intel's approach is two fused dies, rather than a single stacked die. Also the the memory controllers are completely different.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Actually there's one big difference, which is that Intel's approach is two fused dies, rather than a single stacked die. Also the the memory controllers are completely different.

No actually the graphics component of all of Intel's processors is built within the same die as the processor.

201wsVr.jpg

http://www.itpro.co.uk/desktop-hardware/19975/intel-haswell-vs-amd-richland-head-head/page/0/1

Even the Iris Pro (GT3e) parts are on-die parts. The only off-die element is the eDRAM which Intel adds to its Iris Pro graphics for additional memory bandwidth.

The only time Intel fused a graphics die to a CPU die was with Clarkdale about five years ago. Fusing two separate CPU & GPU dies is no longer economically feasible.

All of Intel's LGA 1150/1155 processors are APUs by AMD's definition.

No actually the graphics component of all of Intel's processors is built within the same die as the processor.

Posted Image

http://www.itpro.co.uk/desktop-hardware/19975/intel-haswell-vs-amd-richland-head-head/page/0/1

Even the Iris Pro (GT3e) parts are on-die parts. The only off-die element is the eDRAM which Intel adds to its Iris Pro graphics for additional memory bandwidth.

The only time Intel fused a graphics die to a CPU die was with Clarkdale about five years ago. Fusing two separate CPU & GPU dies is no longer economically feasible.

Most are. But you doo have versions that are without the iGPU. Namely the suffix P ones

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I just noticed that I worded it quite stupidly, albeit a tad too late. It is indeed a single die, but completely different in the implementation.

Also die area comparisons don't prove parity.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

AMD has those as well, they're sold under the 700 series (740, 750K, 760K) & 300 series (370K) Athlon brand.

Yeah i know i just pointed that intel has dedicated cpus too

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Yeah i know i just pointed that intel has dedicated cpus too

Perhaps the LGA 2011 parts present a better example for CPU only parts, much like AMD's AM3+ FX series.

Those parts lack an integrated GPU by design unlike the Athlon series on FM1/2/2+ & the i5 suffix p series on LGA 1150/55 which actually have an integrated GPU that's been disabled due to defects.

Perhaps the LGA 2011 parts present a better example for CPU only parts, much like AMD's AM3+ FX series.

Those parts lack an integrated GPU by design unlike the Athlon series on FM1/2/2+ & the i5 suffix p series on LGA 1150/55 which actually have an integrated GPU that's been disabled due to defects.

perhaps you are correct. Tho im not sure but there may also be some celerons pr pentiums that dont have a gpu ondie

i barely see any more huge proformence boosts in these days and we need that not just more ssd space and a faster pci-e bus.

CA-RIP, Cz up hoes down, bang these hoes out with my rounds.