AMD Announces "From Scratch" Next Generation High-Performance x86 & ARM Cores

Games don't utilize APU's to their full extent which is why I don't like APU's. For gaming it's just better to have a strong CPU and a strong GPU. Having a weak CPU and a strongish GPU is a bad idea. APU's are not very good CPU's but are ok GPU's that is the problem. Try and play any CPU intensive game example Planetside 2) and tell me that APU's are a good idea. I have an i7 2600 and my CPU is a bottleneck in that game with a 680. I get frame rate below 60 in intensive scenarios. 

And why can't you just see a future when APU's has the same performance as separate GPU/CPU? All it takes is that it would be more expensive.. The future wont contain PC's in the form that they are today that's for sure. 

Stop looking at the performance today and start looking at the potential the concept holds.

And why can't you just see a future when APU's has the same performance as separate GPU/CPU? All it takes is that it would be more expensive.. The future wont contain PC's in the form that they are today that's for sure. 

Stop looking at the performance today and start looking at the potential the concept holds.

That still doesn't resolves the architectural problem of different types of memory: since they share RAM choosing either side (gddr or normal ddr) would hurt the other part. Now if we could have a dual chip but on a motherboard chipset that would allow 2 sets of completely different memory modules (2 DDR dimm slots and 2 gddr slots) now THAT could take off in a hurry.

-------

Current Rig

-------

How do you know PC's won't be in the same form factor. I can't see a future without PC's existing in a similar form-factor to what we have today. I don't see why it has to change other than improving on standards like SATA, PCI and any other PC standard. And if you are saying it will change then please tell me what it will change into because I can tell you now it won't be anything like Razer's modules that you plug into a tower I can tell you that much at least. I honestly see no reason to change the PC form-factor if you can call it that as there are many form factors for a PC. HTPC, Small, large and medium there is a size and shape for everyone which is why it doesn't need to change. Oh and the thing about AMD's APU's. I don't think it's the right time for AMD to be making APU's. TO start with they aren't very good at the moment when they are developed enough and have good software support I am sure they will perform very well to a CPU but I still think a CPU will make a better CPU then an APU ever weill. Besides we are talking 5+ years. 64-bit has been a thing for so long now and only just recently have games and other software started to be released in a  64-bit client. Most of which though are still in 32-bit.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

get in amd. athlon 64's were beast. these better smash broadwells, like the athlon 64 did to p4's!

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I'm so exited and i just can't hide it, AMD coming back! Finally some competition.

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

That still doesn't resolves the architectural problem of different types of memory: since they share RAM choosing either side (gddr or normal ddr) would hurt the other part. Now if we could have a dual chip but on a motherboard chipset that would allow 2 sets of completely different memory modules (2 DDR dimm slots and 2 gddr slots) now THAT could take off in a hurry.

Yesas kuddlesworth states, it's a long way to go. And as we move towards the future we'll be able to see where we're going to stand with memory speeds and latencies,  and I would actually be totaly fine with buying a motherboard with integrated/dedicated memory for the iGPU.

How do you know PC's won't be in the same form factor. I can't see a future without PC's existing in a similar form-factor to what we have today. I don't see why it has to change other than improving on standards like SATA, PCI and any other PC standard. And if you are saying it will change then please tell me what it will change into because I can tell you now it won't be anything like Razer's modules that you plug into a tower I can tell you that much at least. I honestly see no reason to change the PC form-factor if you can call it that as there are many form factors for a PC. HTPC, Small, large and medium there is a size and shape for everyone which is why it doesn't need to change. Oh and the thing about AMD's APU's. I don't think it's the right time for AMD to be making APU's. TO start with they aren't very good at the moment when they are developed enough and have good software support I am sure they will perform very well to a CPU but I still think a CPU will make a better CPU then an APU ever weill. Besides we are talking 5+ years. 64-bit has been a thing for so long now and only just recently have games and other software started to be released in a  64-bit client. Most of which though are still in 32-bit.

I might have been unclear, I'm tired and I'm writing on a netbook which makes things a bit more tedious than otherwise. I'm talking more about the size, not the functionality or the "conpcept" of the PC, and as we move to smaller computers we will see more and more SFF computers with the same performance as larger PC's but it might be without the expandability, and I haven't actually made this clear as of yet but I'm conflicted about the idea about APU's whether to have one chip contain both CPU and GPU or just put them on the same PCB, or atleast make something smaller than an ITX and having the PCI-e port facing downwards, then the cpu and GPU would be able to utilize the same cooler and have the performance of a true gaming machine but in a case smaller than the "next gen" consoles. Not just trying something that looks garage made like the tiny Raven case.

I feel like this is what they said about not just Bulldozer, but also Piledriver. I mean sure, I own an 8350, but I still think they received too much hype, and not enough performance to deliver it.

Main Rig:  FX-8320 || EVGA 650 Ti BOOST || AsRock 970 Extreme3 || Corsair 800D || 8 Gb Crucial Ballistix || Antec HCG 520M || Noctua NH-D14
LAN Party Rig: FX-4100 || EVGA 550 Ti || ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS || Cooler Master 430 Elite || 4 Gb Corsair Vengeance || Antec HCG 400 || Cooler Master Gemin 2 
Staples EasyTech Associate since September, 2013

Yesas kuddlesworth states, it's a long way to go. And as we move towards the future we'll be able to see where we're going to stand with memory speeds and latencies,  and I would actually be totaly fine with buying a motherboard with integrated/dedicated memory for the iGPU.

I might have been unclear, I'm tired and I'm writing on a netbook which makes things a bit more tedious than otherwise. I'm talking more about the size, not the functionality or the "conpcept" of the PC, and as we move to smaller computers we will see more and more SFF computers with the same performance as larger PC's but it might be without the expandability, and I haven't actually made this clear as of yet but I'm conflicted about the idea about APU's whether to have one chip contain both CPU and GPU or just put them on the same PCB, or atleast make something smaller than an ITX and having the PCI-e port facing downwards, then the cpu and GPU would be able to utilize the same cooler and have the performance of a true gaming machine but in a case smaller than the "next gen" consoles. Not just trying something that looks garage made like the tiny Raven case.

I have a good idea. Intel and AMD should implement a two socket system. One socket for the CPU and the other for integrated graphics. That way if you don't want to waste your money buying something you won't use then don't use the socket or just put another CPu in the socket. And if you do then you can save some money and buy a cheap CPU and a fairly good GPU for the other socket. However I don't think people are buying small cases over large cases I just think people are buying both, the small case is for lan sessions or putting it in front of your TV. It's not like people are running out of room for a large PC's are they. There is no reason to buy a tiny PC case unless you just feel like having a small PC or you want it to be easy to pick up. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Still waiting for Multi-socket processor boards for APU's :)

^2x Quad 7850K APU's, /w Hybrid Xfire

Or 2x the one without the iGPU (Model?) /w Dedicated GPU

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I have a good idea. Intel and AMD should implement a two socket system. One socket for the CPU and the other for integrated graphics. That way if you don't want to waste your money buying something you won't use then don't use the socket or just put another CPu in the socket. And if you do then you can save some money and buy a cheap CPU and a fairly good GPU for the other socket. However I don't think people are buying small cases over large cases I just think people are buying both, the small case is for lan sessions or putting it in front of your TV. It's not like people are running out of room for a large PC's are they. There is no reason to buy a tiny PC case unless you just feel like having a small PC or you want it to be easy to pick up. 

That's the same thing I was thinking, except also include gddr memory slots so you can add those yourself and forget about normal pci-e form factor: I'd be all for a modular GPU design when I can select my combinations of GPU, cooler and possibly memory available for the system.

-------

Current Rig

-------

interesting, but still.. we know it's gonna stand second to intel :(

i'm a cat :ph34r:

Details separate people.

That's the same thing I was thinking, except also include gddr memory slots so you can add those yourself and forget about normal pci-e form factor: I'd be all for a modular GPU design when I can select my combinations of GPU, cooler and possibly memory available for the system.

Also why would soldering a CPU onto a socket improve latency. If there is metal contact then the latency should be exactly the same if anything the latency should be better with a socket because you can use whatever metal you like. One without much electrical resistance. It just sounds like cost saving if I am honest btu in the long run it will be terrible to have soldered CPU's onto a motherboard as there will be limited models of motherboards and if your CPU dies you will have to change your mobo which can be a pain as some motherboards are rare. I know that you can't buy the EVGA SR-2 anymore and I check everyday on Amazon with no luck.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

Really awesome news, AMD is going back to its roots with the new K12 core.

If they can make a super high performance Sempron 145.2, I would be happy. :D

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I'm hoping to enter another athlon era of pure PC power.

Fingers crossed for actual improvements, the construction core family was a challenge too large to take on with some good results.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

phenom III x6 maybe? please?

Oh god yes. I remember back in 2010 with my X6... Those were the days. I prefer AMD, Intel just has bad better performance and motherboards lately... :/

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

Interestingly Rory Read referred to the new high performance x86 and ARM architectures as sister cores. They probably are very similar.
And the fact that they're combining the insanely high 5Ghz+ frequencies of Bulldozer with the efficiency and small size of Jaguar means AMD can pack a lot of cores on a single slab of silicon. Perhaps this new core will be in the future consoles.

we will have to wait and see, i mean carrizo will probably have a paper launch this year  shipping Q1 next year so we will have to wait and see what  their new post excavator design is like im hoping its per core performance is similar to intels even if they need 4.0ghz to match intels 3.5ghz especially if they offer an 8 core version.. id be all over that

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Two cores walk into a bar. One puts his ARM on the other core's motherboard. The second core calls 86 of his friends to beat the snot out of the first core.
Pretty much sums up Skybridge K12 & the new x86 core.

Ok AMD no need to go re-invent the wheel now. We don't need another bulldozer.

CPU : i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz. GPU : MSI Lightning GTX 770 @ 1300mhz. 16GB 1600mhz RAM