Ask me why I'm Mining in 2023

James
5 hours ago, nyeblocktd said:

I think its just pi like the math pi, definitely not feet

"pied" c'est en francais mon ami = "feet" in the "other" NA language

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

4 hours ago, Dracarris said:

Since when the heck do NA people use 'pi' for feet?? Why can't you guys just be remotely normal with units?

image.png.0ec6f96487d3f0b85aae491e2f582ec6.png

Most, if not all, products sold in Canada have both English and French on the packaging. That side of the box just so happens to be in all French (5:48 has a better view of the instructions):

image.png.f9f435178a36d978588dc538ac059c57.png

And so, as you have figured out, pi. really is ft., just in French.

The rest of the country puts up with this nonsense and flips the box around for the Installation Instructions.

CPU Intel i7-7700 | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 | Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z270F Gaming | RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 3.6GHz 32GB | GPU EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra Gaming |

Case Fractal Design Define R5 | Storage Samsung 980 PRO 500GB, Samsung 970 EVO+ "v2" 2TB | PSU Corsair RM850x 2021 | Display ASUS VP247QG + Samsung SyncMaster T220 | OS Garuda Linux

Great Linus is going to move from Coin-Mining to Folding but his using 1U risers is going to nerf his contribution with those high-end GPUs.

If he wants to maximize his performance then he'll want to look at a x16 to 4x m.2 break-out card and 4 m.2 to PCIe3x16 adapters.

Also moving to a better mining chassis that has brackets for fans will enable him to direct the airflow better:

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

1 minute ago, CWP said:

Most, if not all, products sold in Canada have both English and French on the packaging. That side of the box just so happens to be in all French (5:48 has a better view of the instructions):

image.png.f9f435178a36d978588dc538ac059c57.png

And so, as you have figured out, pi. really is ft., just in French.

The rest of the country puts up with this nonsense and flips the box around for the Installation Instructions.

did anyone (big tv made it easier to spot). combine 2 things that yavon loves... it becomes a jake.

well played video editors!

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

I might have a hypothesis as to why you're only getting ~+1°C change.

The inefficiency IS giving you heat, but since the electricity isn't going through a giant resistor after the GPU, the "efficient" part of that percentage is going straight to ground rather than giving you heat. A lot of energy is lost switching the transistors, but a decent amount is just flowing through the gates, or charging and discharging capacitors when the logic circuits change state.
ie, 85% efficiency is actually only 15% heating, and 85% of the energy is what's doing the 'mining' with

it doesn't really make a difference if you're using the flops for Folding@Home though. Just some thoughts on home heating via CPU's

1 hour ago, TheOtherLilith said:

The inefficiency IS giving you heat, but since the electricity isn't going through a giant resistor after the GPU, the "efficient" part of that percentage is going straight to ground rather than giving you heat. A lot of energy is lost switching the transistors, but a decent amount is just flowing through the gates, or charging and discharging capacitors when the logic circuits change state.
ie, 85% efficiency is actually only 15% heating, and 85% of the energy is what's doing the 'mining' with

it doesn't really make a difference if you're using the flops for Folding@Home though. Just some thoughts on home heating via CPU's

Watts used is heat produced. 1200 watts is somewhere around 4000BTU/hour of heat. It doesn't matter how it is accomplished. 100% agree with others, put it under your desk.

Sooo relieved you mentioned Folding@home.. I remember tweeting such a suggestion to u and Luke a while back. (

)

Beat this; SFF PCs, all CPU crunchers primarily for World Community Grid because cancer sucks, and they do not support GPU crunching. Yes I have a metal-bladed fan to the left to lessen the hot pockets🍞 Painter's tape labels FTW!

Garage Jan 2023.jpg

Troll much Linus???

1. Heat rises, so it would make smarter sense to place the rig UNDER the desk near the floor and have the heat rise right where you are sitting instead of warming the air above your head. Yeah, this whole project is probably above your head too.

2. Custom water cooling is the better way to extract that heat, granted, you won't be getting that when your objective is to go "off-the-shelf" only. But placing multiple rads near foot level along with the pump would ensure the heat is sent to where it can be most useful. That's easy to do if you are using an open rack as you have there.

3. The actual heat you get from just a single PC will be negligible and probably WON'T impact the temperature of the room. That's a large space and depending on the exact cubic feet of air in there I doubt a PC even with 7 cards will do anything for your personal comfort. For reference, I have four 3080Ti's and a 5960X custom water cooled by 5 massive 80mm thick rads and 22 fans in push/pull on a CaseLabs S8. Just the roof portion is enough to keep a plate of food warm, not hot, just warm enough to not need reheating in a microwave. It is not enough to keep the room it's located in (approx 450 sq. ft) from getting cold when the temperature outside falls below the temp. inside.

4. Install a few $180K+ A100 based 4U GPU servers - those things will kick off quite a bit of heat and also benefit from the cold ambient. You might not appreciate the NOISE they spit out, but hey, who cares at that point right??? You'll be folding like a banshee and heating with electricity like a true champion LOL

1 hour ago, TheOtherLilith said:

that is not how electricity works.

ANY energy pulled from the wall essentially turns into heat.

- caps that charge, store power. caps that discharge release that power. the power that comes out gets turned into heat *somewhere*, either in a discharge resistor, in a component it is smoothing the power output for, or in the cap itself.

- any power that goes trough transistors either goes to the output of the transistor (at which point, it drives the gate of another transistor in simple terms) or gets wasted as heat. this is the majority of power consumed in a modern computer. if the energy isnt lost in a transistor, the chip wouldnt be needing that power. essentially ALL of the power consumed by a CPU or GPU die *is* the power lost in transistor switching. power doesnt flow 'trough' it and then go somewhere else. it is consumed.

- power going into fans, hard drive motors, etc. essentially only serves to counteract the friction the spinning object encounters, resulting in.. you guessed it: heat.

- it can be argued that even if the power is going into RGB, all of that power turns to heat in the room as well, given that the light doesnt leave the room (e.g. trough a window) it's implied that the energy doesnt leave the room, so any light output eventually gets turned to heat as it loses intensity bouncing off surfaces.

also.. power doesnt "go to ground". current flows from the positive rail to ground, and in the process, power is consumed. 'power' is a result of a voltage difference between two points and a certain resistance between the two points, which causes a certain current to flow. the resulting power turns into another form of energy. (heat, light, force, etc.) 

or in short.. if the power supply is consuming 700 'real' watts, the heat output of the computer can be assumed to be 700 watts.

('real' watts to cover the argument of power factor. but it should be assumed the power factor is fairly good anyways. the target for PFC is 0.95-0.99.)

as for my guess why the temperature didnt increase much:

- horrid (lack of) insulation means a lot of energy leaves the room.

- a fairly high thermal mass of the room itself, meaning a lot of energy is needed to make temperature increase.

- even the shown rig is a fairly low heat output compared to a space heater.

my guess is that if he leaves the whole thing running a few days, it might inch up themperature more, but a lack of insulation means a particularly cold night will pull that heat RIGHT back out.

i do also want to add a detail about the "put it under your desk" argument:

yes and no. yes - it'll help keep the heat more local to the desk, but in the scope of heating (part of) a room the concept of "heat rises" is insignificant compared to the force of fans moving air. i have a heat pump in my room, and it's mounted to the ceiling as most of them are. but for heating i just point the vent down, and it blows the heat onto my desk just the same as a space heater on the floor does.. in fact - it does so better, because it blows heat onto the top side of my desk, instead of having it flow out from underneath.

2 hours ago, Luscious said:

Heat rises

Fans will overpower pretty much any kind of convective motion. Not in Linus' case because the system is not ducted, so lots of the heat does rise as his FLIR camera showed. Putting the contraption below the desk would make a difference in perceived heat.

3 hours ago, manikyath said:

as for my guess why the temperature didnt increase much:

- horrid (lack of) insulation means a lot of energy leaves the room.

- a fairly high thermal mass of the room itself, meaning a lot of energy is needed to make temperature increase.

- even the shown rig is a fairly low heat output compared to a space heater.

Also the concrete floor.  He's literally sitting on a giant heat sink.  I'd try carpet and pad under it or something at least to insulate from the floor a bit.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

could you not buy a far infrared panel hater as they warm up the room better and they cost less to run. 

*** Politics removed ***

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Sorry if this was already posted. Why not just put it under the desk? Curtin off and let the warmth flow in(to) your pants.