LTX '23 Out-of-country visitors

astrazoa

I am from the UK and Toronto 🙂

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️

Hey we're planning a happy hour Friday before the event, come join us. It'll be fun and we can see some familiar faces the next day!!

Here's the discord link:

https://discord.gg/xJyp2SQq

• 2 weeks later...

It's been like a month now since I realized I'm not gonna make it to this one. I haven't been so emotionally crushed by missing out on something so non-critical (vs something like life essentials & the love of my family) in current memory.😭  I guess it's been a really long time since I've been so amped for something I was planning on doing/attending for as long as I was mentally excited for this.

Why? Passport.  ...combination of not getting started on it soon enough, not understanding the time requirements for the application process soon enough, & not getting my current, yet expired, passport from my parents soon enough.  Yes, my folks still had my original from when I was 2 & we went to the caribbean for something they were doing & I never bothered to get it until, 'oh crap, I need my passport to properly get a passport again' -basically.  I'm not very far away either; just south of the border in Washington State.  I wasn't gonna be making any of the plans set in stone though until I knew I had what I'd need to cross the border properly in both directions & by the time I got my application in, it's minimum/optimal processing/shipping time put me at 'getting it AFTER the event'.  I'm so incredibly disappointed.

I REALLY hope it's an awesome/safe event for everyone that gets to go.  I'll look forward to going next year. 🥲

On 7/1/2023 at 2:10 AM, Mr.Nelf said:

It's been like a month now since I realized I'm not gonna make it to this one. I haven't been so emotionally crushed by missing out on something so non-critical (vs something like life essentials & the love of my family) in current memory.😭  I guess it's been a really long time since I've been so amped for something I was planning on doing/attending for as long as I was mentally excited for this.

Why? Passport.  ...combination of not getting started on it soon enough, not understanding the time requirements for the application process soon enough, & not getting my current, yet expired, passport from my parents soon enough.  Yes, my folks still had my original from when I was 2 & we went to the caribbean for something they were doing & I never bothered to get it until, 'oh crap, I need my passport to properly get a passport again' -basically.  I'm not very far away either; just south of the border in Washington State.  I wasn't gonna be making any of the plans set in stone though until I new I had what I'd need to cross the border properly in both directions & by the time I got my application in, it's minimum/optimal processing/shipping time put me getting it AFTER the event.  I'm so incredibly disappointed.

I REALLY hope it's an awesome/safe event for everyone that gets to go.  I'll look forward to going next year. 🥲

You could try scheduling with a passport agency for an urgent travel appointment see

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast.html

as for your original I want able to get my childhood passport but just pretended the new passport to be my first

Why? Passport.  ...combination of not getting started on it soon enough, not understanding the time requirements for the application process soon enough, & not getting my current, yet expired, passport from my parents soon enough.  Yes, my folks still had my original from when I was 2 & we went to the caribbean for something they were doing & I never bothered to get it until, 'oh crap, I need my passport to properly get a passport again' -basically.  I'm not very far away either; just south of the border in Washington State.  I wasn't gonna be making any of the plans set in stone though until I new I had what I'd need to cross the border properly in both directions & by the time I got my application in, it's minimum/optimal processing/shipping time put me getting it AFTER the event.  I'm so incredibly disappointed.

Yup, if you're desperate to go you can make an urgent travel appointment at a passport agency. I've had a missing passport replaced a week before a trip that way. There's a location in Seattle, where you'd have to make an appointment, and the passport will be prepared either same day or can be picked up within a day or two.

It costs more, and might take same time to get to/from the appointment, but I actually found the whole process worked surprisingly well

I am looking to attend sometime in the future as I live in the UK! 

Maybe LTX 24 🤔

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

This is really a lesson to something key: Just get a passport.

No, don't get a passport in preparation for an event somewhere around the world, just get it now, put it in a drawer, that way you already have it.  In the US it's USD$130 for a 10 year passport.  In Canada it's CAD$120 for a 5 year or CAD$160 for a ten year.  Prices and efforts vary by country of course, but just go get your passport.

You never know when the opportunity to travel abroad will appear and it may not wait for you to wait for your respective government agency's delivery times.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

On 6/30/2023 at 10:10 PM, Mr.Nelf said:

You live in Washington, you can get an Enhanced driver's license...

https://www.dol.wa.gov/driver-licenses-and-permits/enhanced-driver-license-edl/get-enhanced-driver-license-edl#:~:text=Total %241-,What is an enhanced driver license (EDL)%3F,or sea port of entry.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

22 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

Does that let you into Canada?  I only see where it lets you back into the U.S.

6 minutes ago, Erioch said:

Does that let you into Canada?  I only see where it lets you back into the U.S.

Not by plane, but land or sea yeah.

I grew up down there and we used to go to Canada on them a lot.

https://www.dol.wa.gov/driver-licenses-and-permits/enhanced-driver-license-edl/guide-enhanced-driver-licenses-edl#:~:text=You can use your EDL,Border Services Agency website

BC, Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec can also use them to come to the states under the same rules. 

https://fdfa.ca/border-crossing-information/border-identification-requirements/

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

On 7/2/2023 at 3:45 PM, CerealExperimentsLain said:

This is really a lesson to something key: Just get a passport.

No, don't get a passport in preparation for an event somewhere around the world, just get it now, put it in a drawer, that way you already have it.  In the US it's USD$130 for a 10 year passport.  In Canada it's CAD$120 for a 5 year or CAD$160 for a ten year.  Prices and efforts vary by country of course, but just go get your passport.

You never know when the opportunity to travel abroad will appear and it may not wait for you to wait for your respective government agency's delivery times.

^100%  Amen!

On 7/2/2023 at 5:39 PM, IkeaGnome said:

I have one but don't trust it alone for this since I lack such experience.  I may look further into that later, but everything I read so far points me to the Passport being my best butt-cover, haha.  I feel it's too late for any of the other necessary plans to be made & events filling up these next 2 weeks for me cement my attendance of this event in its grave.  At work, for instance, I'm scheduled to work the weekend in question & they're making me take my turn acting as a certain level supervisor for 30 days & it's too late to put in for annual leave(& no, I wouldn't be 'calling out sick' when I'm not actually sick.  My integrity isn't worth whatever anyone thinks I might gain by sacrificing it), so I can't just up and go.

@CerealExperimentsLain is absolutely right, as an adult, it's wise to just get the darn thing.  It's cheaper than even the FCC radio license I got many years ago & let expire.  I greatly appreciate everyone's feedback, tho.  Thanks much yall! ^_^

Hey Friends,

I am flying solo to LTX and just like anything in life, think the experience would be more fun with friends. I am going to set up a happy hour at a bar close to the convention center Friday evening with the intention of seeing some familiar faces the next day. I'm buying the first round!***

https://discord.gg/SxEYjHcv

I'm 18 and haven't had a passport before. I stopped listening to WAN and only heard about LTX a few months ago. I then procrastinated and turned in the papers for expedited service and shipping on May 30.

Despite all of this, while I had accepted it might not come in time, my parents woke me up with a blue USPS package a couple days ago.

We're planning on taking a road trip Wednesday to Wednesday, only stopping in Canada for the convention. Plans are in an alarming state of nonexistence so we'll have to pull something together. My family did do an 8 hour overnight drive into 3 days of rainy December Disneyland 18 months ago - I don't think we can top that - but it's going to be hectic. It will be interesting to see how few other Utah license plates are in Canada though 😀

Oh, wow! That's pretty hectic! I thought about taking my motorcycle from WNY, but I don't want to take that much time off of work when I could pay less for a flight which will also save me a lot of time.

May the Bits ever flip in your favour

On 1/4/2023 at 8:34 PM, theRadFazzle said:

Hello! I'm really hoping to make it to LTX this year from Seattle (long journey, I know). I would definitely be interest in meeting up with some of you good folks. I've been to Vancouver a handful of times but not enough to have good recommendations for where to stay, where to eat, etc.

I’m going from Seattle area too, because of that probably not gonna stay the night. I’m going to go on Sunday, leave Sunday evening. Are the border lines anything to leave early? Are they like 5 minutes or 50 minutes?