Installed extra kit of ram, cant get them to run on 3200hz

Go to solution Solved by zipspence,
56 minutes ago, Dubski said:

I would love for some help with that, because that sounds like a good in between 2666. The model of ram is: cmw16gx4m2c3200c16 (Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 2x8)

My mobo is Rog strix b450-f gaming with a ryzen 5 3600.

Hope this is enough information if u need more i would happely send that your way! thank you!

SPD Speed: 2133MHz so their speed out of the box is naturally 2133. You have to change their speed manually.  A NON OVERCLOCKED speed for the board is considered 2666. The ram itself can run XMP 2.0. But with all that considered. I would personally run at 2666 to elongate the performance for the longest time possible. the real ordeal with overclocking always stands to reason is. Why overclock if the stock speed is good enough for what you are doing. Its a huge trend to go faster and faster past what the stock specs of equipment are. But all things considered test it at the speed it has already and see if you actually had any issue running anything you want to. Unless you are doing some crazy rendering where something is ram intensive there isnt really a need for speed boosting anything. 

So TLDR if you dont have a huge reason to dont overclock or modify speeds, secondary to that, run at 2666 if you do want a boost. (IMO)

In bios just go to your AI tweaker, set Ai Overclock Tuner to DOCP Standard and select your memory speed to 2666

Hallo Everyone,

I just bought an extra kit of 2x8gb ram from corsair so i could upgrade to 32gb of ram. But after inserting they would not run at 3200hz, but they ran at 2133. I have enabled XMP/DOCP (DOCP in my instance) and they still wouldnt run at 3200. If i changed to 3200 docp the pc would have problems booting. Its it normal for 4 sticks to just run at 2133?

If anyone got tips on how i can fix this or if its just normale for it to do so. that would be amazing!

with friendly regarts,

Duski

What's the model/part number of the RAM? (Both the new pair and your old pair.)

Are the new DIMMs the same as your old ones?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

12 minutes ago, Dubski said:

Hallo Everyone,

I just bought an extra kit of 2x8gb ram from corsair so i could upgrade to 32gb of ram. But after inserting they would not run at 3200hz, but they ran at 2133. I have enabled XMP/DOCP (DOCP in my instance) and they still wouldnt run at 3200. If i changed to 3200 docp the pc would have problems booting. Its it normal for 4 sticks to just run at 2133?

If anyone got tips on how i can fix this or if its just normale for it to do so. that would be amazing!

with friendly regarts,

Duski

Install only the new kit of RAM and remove the old, does DOCP work then?

30 minutes ago, Dubski said:

1. What make and model of motherboard?
  2. Do the old and new RAM modules match in terms of model numbers?
  3. Does the motherboard manual give any information on DIMM slot utilization and speeds that can be used?

29 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

What's the model/part number of the RAM? (Both the new pair and your old pair.)

Are the new DIMMs the same as your old ones?

Both are the same part number and speeds

28 minutes ago, Naijin said:

Install only the new kit of RAM and remove the old, does DOCP work then?

Gonna try that in a minute

7 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:
  3. Does the motherboard manual give any information on DIMM slot utilization and speeds that can be used?

ROG Strix b450-f gaming by asus
Yes
Gonna check that rn!

45 minutes ago, Dubski said:

Hallo Everyone,

with friendly regarts,

Duski

Bump the dram voltage ( select it hit the + key one or twice) 

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

13 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

I checked the manual and cant find anything about not being able to do 3200 using all the slots.

1 minute ago, lotus10101 said:

Bump the dram voltage ( select is hit the + key one or twice) 

Oke ill try this will get back to you

1 minute ago, Dubski said:

Oke ill try this will get back to you

The sticker on the side of the ram should say its rated voltage, start there then bump it +, ram can take more power than cpu, just don't go crazy, if its still not working after 4 + stop, something else is the matter, some cpu's just hate certain ram for no good reason

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

20 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

My models don't match, one is vengeance the other is vengeance RGB pro 🤣 

1 minute ago, lotus10101 said:

My models don't match, one is vengeance the other is vengeance RGB pro 🤣 

The difference in specifications is probably only the RGB.

59 minutes ago, Dubski said:

Hallo Everyone,

I just bought an extra kit of 2x8gb ram from corsair so I could upgrade to 32gb of ram. But after inserting they would not run at 3200hz, but they ran at 2133. 

The more sticks, the more difficult it is to run even rated speeds, you could also try looking in the docp and see if there's options for lower Mhz

for instance 3200Mhz CL16 vs 3000Mhz Cl14 isn't much difference, not any that you would notice daily driving it 

49 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Go to the motherboard support page.

Here is the list if you're using a Ryzen 3rd generation CPU.

I only found the CMW16GX4M2C3600C18 on that list. But my CMW16GX4M2C3200C16 2x8gb has been working flawlessly. But i see those are not supported for 4 dimm? so mabye i just cant get the full speed on 4 dims? on this mobo?

1 hour ago, lotus10101 said:

Bump the dram voltage ( select it hit the + key one or twice) 

I tried this and it didnt work sadly

1 hour ago, Falcon1986 said:

Go to the motherboard support page.

Here is the list if you're using a Ryzen 3rd generation CPU.

Okey wait i found them on the list, and they dont seem like they have 4 dim socket support? is that why i cant have the speeds

2 hours ago, Dubski said:

Hallo Everyone,

with friendly regarts,

Duski

4 x DIMM, Max. 128GB, DDR4 3600(O.C.)/3466(O.C.)/3400(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

4 x DIMM, Max. 128GB, DDR4 3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory *
AMD Ryzen™ Processors
4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 3466(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
* Refer to www.asus.com for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Processors

Your max stable non O.C. is 2666 for 4 DIMM. If you want a more clear path on what to do you will need to post the exact model of ram so us nerds can deep dive the compatibility of the MoBo and Ram. 

Did you turn it off and back on again?

3 hours ago, zipspence said:

4 x DIMM, Max. 128GB, DDR4 3600(O.C.)/3466(O.C.)/3400(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

4 x DIMM, Max. 128GB, DDR4 3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory *
AMD Ryzen™ Processors
4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 3466(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
* Refer to www.asus.com for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Processors

Your max stable non O.C. is 2666 for 4 DIMM. If you want a more clear path on what to do you will need to post the exact model of ram so us nerds can deep dive the compatibility of the MoBo and Ram. 

I would love for some help with that, because that sounds like a good in between 2666. The model of ram is: cmw16gx4m2c3200c16 (Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 2x8)

Hope this is enough information if u need more i would happely send that your way! thank you!

56 minutes ago, Dubski said:

SPD Speed: 2133MHz so their speed out of the box is naturally 2133. You have to change their speed manually.  A NON OVERCLOCKED speed for the board is considered 2666. The ram itself can run XMP 2.0. But with all that considered. I would personally run at 2666 to elongate the performance for the longest time possible. the real ordeal with overclocking always stands to reason is. Why overclock if the stock speed is good enough for what you are doing. Its a huge trend to go faster and faster past what the stock specs of equipment are. But all things considered test it at the speed it has already and see if you actually had any issue running anything you want to. Unless you are doing some crazy rendering where something is ram intensive there isnt really a need for speed boosting anything. 

So TLDR if you dont have a huge reason to dont overclock or modify speeds, secondary to that, run at 2666 if you do want a boost. (IMO)

In bios just go to your AI tweaker, set Ai Overclock Tuner to DOCP Standard and select your memory speed to 2666

42 minutes ago, zipspence said:

I will try this tomorrow! thank you very much!

14 hours ago, zipspence said:

Question that came up in my mind. if i would upgrade to this motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING. Would i be able to then run it at 3200? because i was thinking of upgrading to a ryzen 7 5800x but that would cost more then a mobo change. and i would be able to do 3200hz because i think that would benefit with the ryzen 7 in the future.

TLDR: If u upgrade to a B550-F would i be able to run 3200hz on 4 dimm?

image.thumb.png.6c1a58336c088881960d82c40925d720.png

1 hour ago, Dubski said:

Question that came up in my mind. if i would upgrade to this motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING. Would i be able to then run it at 3200? because i was thinking of upgrading to a ryzen 7 5800x but that would cost more then a mobo change. and i would be able to do 3200hz because i think that would benefit with the ryzen 7 in the future.

TLDR: If u upgrade to a B550-F would i be able to run 3200hz on 4 dimm?

image.thumb.png.6c1a58336c088881960d82c40925d720.png

Yep, you are right on the money, the 550 board will run 3200 in a non-overclocked fashion. Remember the memory itself will still pop up at a lower speed, you will just have to tune the system to run 3200. 

6 minutes ago, zipspence said:

Yep, you are right on the money, the 550 board will run 3200 in a non-overclocked fashion. Remember the memory itself will still pop up at a lower speed, you will just have to tune the system to run 3200. 

Just turn on DOCP in that instant right?

As a side note, microcenter has the bundle listed with that CPU and MoBo so it is a recommended combo to get. 

8 minutes ago, zipspence said:

As a side note, microcenter has the bundle listed with that CPU and MoBo so it is a recommended combo to get. 

Ahha! Then i think ill order that mobo and then run the 32gb. Thank you i will tag your comment above as Solution thank you all!