Suggestions for quitet, mechanical keyboard?

Ja2016

Just looking around for a quiet mechanical keyboard to replace my corsair k55 rgb that's served me well for 3 years. I have very little knowledge of keyboards but are linear switches the right ones to go for?

Linear would certainly be quieter than clicky and tactile, but some keyboard brands are putting extra features to help with sound, like the Keychron Q series. I'm considering their full-size Q6 with tactile switches for my office work because my current Cherry MX Brown can be heard quite clearly on video calls. From their description:

In addition to the gaskets on the plates, we added silicone pads between the top and bottom cases to significantly reduce the sound resonance between the metals and reduce the noise of the impacted metals. This design allows the keyboard to maintain the flexibility of the gasket structure and improves the overall typing sound.

5600x/RTX 4080

“1. Never tell everything at once.” - Ken Venturi's Two Great Rules of Life

What is your budget?

If you want a more quiet mechanical keyboard, you should look into silent switches. They are just like normal switches, but their stems are padded to minimize the plastic on plastic thoc. Or, you can o-ring mod your current keyboard, but o-ring mod makes a mechanical keyboard feel like rubber dome keyboard in my opinion.

If you still want the mechanical keyboard feel, I will advise using lighter switches. If you are already using Cherry reds, then Cherry speeds are the only next lowest. I have speeds before. For me, it is a lot like touch typing. I rarely bottom out when typing.

The best option may be building out a keyboard. This is heavily depending on your budget of course. Usually it is in the $200 range, any lower you will have to go research around.

Full time technology enthusiast, part time IT.

For accurate typing I much prefer a good tactile switch so that I get a good feedback when typing.  

For tactile switches, I recently installed Kailh Box V2 Browns.   I think the "box" structure around the contacts help in quieting the noises in the switch.  Check my other recent post where I uploaded my photos of the Q3 I'm using.  Keychron also make a less expensive k and kPro  series too with similar pcb, plate gasket design but without the 4 lb aluminum chassis.

5 hours ago, benny_r_t_2 said:

Check my other recent post where I uploaded my photos of the Q3 I'm using.  Keychron also make a less expensive k and kPro  series too with similar pcb, plate gasket design but without the 4 lb aluminum chassis.

Do the K and K Pro also have the sound dampening material? I kinda assumed that was a perk of the Q series.

5600x/RTX 4080

2 hours ago, varrys said:

Do the K and K Pro also have the sound dampening material? I kinda assumed that was a perk of the Q series.

The k pro does have foam and silicon layers in addition to a metal plate and hotswap pcb, but without the gaskets and heavy aluminum frame of the Q Series.

And looking at their website i think you're right about k series.   The regular K series i don't think has the foam and layers of the K pro.

I think one will need to do the research to decide.  I really like my Q3 allot.  I think a Kpro might be a good compromise perhaps but i recommend Q Series if budget allows.

Typing this on a Keychron K10 with brown switches (works fine with a cable too, haven't even tried the wireless option - lol).

I did put silicone o-rings on keycaps, but it's surprisingly quiet compared to other keyboards I've used, even with the o-rings.

That's what I'd use if quietness was really important, out of all the keyboards I've tried (keep in mind that I prefer longer travel keys and mostly write, not a lot of fast-paced gaming).

The K Pro series should be even more quiet, but I haven't tried that (no full-sized options available, and I prefer full-sized keyboards).

I also use a Q6 keyboard with blue switches and a metal case. The metal case seems to make space bar sound louder (is "resonate" the right word for that?). Overall, it's super high quality and keys don't rattle, but it's not as quiet as the K10. Would it have been more quiet with brown switches (that would be a fair comparison)? I don't know, haven't tested. I like blue, clicky switches and use them whenever that's possible.  🙂

BikeGremlin
Mostly Harmless ™

31 minutes ago, BikeGremlin said:

Typing this on a Keychron K10 with brown switches (works fine with a cable too, haven't even tried the wireless option - lol).

I did put silicone o-rings on keycaps, but it's surprisingly quiet compared to other keyboards I've used, even with the o-rings.

That's what I'd use if quietness was really important, out of all the keyboards I've tried (keep in mind that I prefer longer travel keys and mostly write, not a lot of fast-paced gaming).

The K Pro series should be even more quiet, but I haven't tried that (no full-sized options available, and I prefer full-sized keyboards).

I also use a Q6 keyboard with blue switches and a metal case. The metal case seems to make space bar sound louder (is "resonate" the right word for that?). Overall, it's super high quality and keys don't rattle, but it's not as quiet as the K10. Would it have been more quiet with brown switches (that would be a fair comparison)? I don't know, haven't tested. I like blue, clicky switches and use them whenever that's possible.  🙂

Interesting feedback. My only mechanical experience has been the Logitech G610 Orion with Brown keys, and I do love it. It's simply loud for video calls that I now have to do for work. And I do need a full-size keyboard for my work, so I guess K Pro is out. For myself, seems I'm going either Keychron Q6 full with tactile silent, trying the G610 with Red, or maybe Logitech MX Mechanical.

5600x/RTX 4080

24 minutes ago, varrys said:

Interesting feedback. My only mechanical experience has been the Logitech G610 Orion with Brown keys, and I do love it. It's simply loud for video calls that I now have to do for work. And I do need a full-size keyboard for my work, so I guess K Pro is out. For myself, seems I'm going either Keychron Q6 full with tactile silent, trying the G610 with Red, or maybe Logitech MX Mechanical.

If silence is important, K series is probably a better choice based on my experience (yet to try blue keys in a K series for a more fair comparison).

Also, K seems to be a good quality. Q series seems to be about 30% better built, at about double the price - and in use, the difference is even less noticeable (in my opinion & experience).

While K comes in a full size, K Pro doesn't seem to be available in a full-sized version. Quality-wise, it should be somewhere between the K and the Q series, but I don't know where exactly it "lands" between the two.

BikeGremlin
Mostly Harmless ™

In another 'I own a Keychron' post (in my defence they make ISO boards, which few custom keyboard manufactures do)...

I put together a Q7, just before Christmas, with Gateron yellow North Pole switches, and it's no louder than many membrane boards. I could absolutely take it into the office, and not attract any murderous glances.

Gazzew Bobagums are supposedly the kings of the silent switches, but a PITA to get in the UK. Silent tactiles are also a thing if you like the feel of tactiles over linears. 

If you want a quiet pre-built, you should stick with linears. I'd probably go with whichever K-series Keychron board suits your needs, as if it is too loud for you, someone will have posted a solution somewhere.

I'm looking for almost the same thing the OP is - except for me, it has to be wireless.   What's the difference between the linear and tactical?  Is the linear type, more quiet?

Is this keyboard ok?:  Keychron K6-W1 V2 - Wireless Mechanical Keyboard Hotswap - Gateron Red (It's on Amazon - pretty expensive, though).

Amazon also has the Gazzew Bobagums - but, I don't know how to replace switches or how to know which switches are compatible with which keyboards - what do you look for to confirm it'll fit?

I want RGB and wireless - mechanical keyboard (red switches) - and as quiet as possible but my budget is under $150.   Buying quiet switches is expensive too - so, I might not do that right away but if I did, then yeah, keyboard has to be somewhat cheaper.

I don't care about the # of keys - can be something like 65-key with no num pad - that's fine.   I will be using the keyboard a distance away from the display so if it's a bit small/portable - that's actually good.    

I'll worry about a mouse later.  

On 12/29/2022 at 9:11 AM, varrys said:

Keychron just released today the k4 Pro which looks like a fullsize.