What is the detail idea of Net Neutrality?

Monchi
Go to solution Solved by Vitalius,

Because that's not the problem. 

The problem is that the ISP is double-triple-quadruple billing. 

US consumers have already paid $$$ for our connections and bandwidth.

Netflix paid $$$ to their ISPs for their connections and bandwidth.

Now our ISPs (not Netflix's) are forcing Netflix to pay them or have video streaming throttled on our network side, even though we already paid for that bandwidth which is ours to do with what we wish.

This is double billing, or the ISP getting paid twice for the same product/service. It's triple billing when they were paid $200 Billion dollars to improve the infrastructure in the US by way of the 1996 Telecoms Act. And they didn't do it. They took the money and just said... "Nope."

Quadruple billing comes in when they make you pay for data caps. 

Our ISPs are the devil.

Monchi qwertywarrior smjpl hawthorne

okay here is my perspective.

for 30$ i can get 2-3 mbps in the philippines.

for american verizon subscribers you get 15mbps.

i can't stream HD quality videos, i can't download a huge game in a matter of a few minutes or hours and i always lag except locally within the philippines.

so! why did i give you my perspective of my "Poopy" net? Because my way of understand Net Neutrality is that you pay for the road you want to drive in.

so basically the philippine's bandwidth is like this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1d/MMLNorr1.JPG

while in other countries there bandwidth is like this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/US_131%2C_M-6%2C_68th_St_interchange.jpg

for the same price! therefore shouldn't Netflix pay more for driving slow moving trucks filled with HD videos? i really don't understand the problem! D:

The more that companies pay the ISP's the more bandwidth they get, this means it is hard for smaller websites to gain promotion and also bandwidth. This mean it would be harder for emerging websites and communities to gain promotion.

Taken from this petition (take this with a pinch of salt) : https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/maintain-true-net-neutrality-protect-freedom-information-united-states/9sxxdBgy

"True net neutrality means the free exchange of information between people and organizations. Information is key to a society's well being. One of the most effective tactics of an invading military is to inhibit the flow of information in a population; this includes which information is shared and by who. Today we see this war being waged on American citizens. Recently the FCC has moved to redefine "net neutrality" to mean that corporations and organizations can pay to have their information heard, or worse, the message of their competitors silenced. We as a nation must settle for nothing less than complete neutrality in our communication channels. This is not a request, but a demand by the citizens of this nation. No bandwidth modifications of information based on content or its source."

Twitter | Steam |

Now our ISPs (not Netflix's) are forcing Netflix to pay them or have video streaming throttled on our network side, even though we already paid for that bandwidth which is ours to do with what we wish.

This is double billing, or the ISP getting paid twice for the same product/service. It's triple billing when they were paid $200 Billion dollars to improve the infrastructure in the US by way of the 1996 Telecoms Act. And they didn't do it. They took the money and just said... "Nope."

Our ISPs are the devil.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

The more that companies pay the ISP's the more bandwidth they get, this means it is hard for smaller websites to gain promotion and also bandwidth. This mean it would be harder for emerging websites and communities to gain promotion.

Taken from this petition (take this with a pinch of salt) : https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/maintain-true-net-neutrality-protect-freedom-information-united-states/9sxxdBgy

"True net neutrality means the free exchange of information between people and organizations. Information is key to a society's well being. One of the most effective tactics of an invading military is to inhibit the flow of information in a population; this includes which information is shared and by who. Today we see this war being waged on American citizens. Recently the FCC has moved to redefine "net neutrality" to mean that corporations and organizations can pay to have their information heard, or worse, the message of their competitors silenced. We as a nation must settle for nothing less than complete neutrality in our communication channels. This is not a request, but a demand by the citizens of this nation. No bandwidth modifications of information based on content or its source."

i still don't get it... they are just paying MORE bandwidth to support their hungry customers .____. like imagine im a 15mbps user and you're a 2mbps server and i start pulling your bandwidth to near 0.... isnt that what they are doing right now? pay more to support a hungry 15mbps user?

[editing]

what is? tell me please!

what you are experiencing has NOTHING to do with net neutrality

ur ISP just sucks

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Are you sure you have the correct?

Net neutrality as I know it means that all packets of data should treated equally. Video data is to be treated equally as any other data (emails etc). ISPs are stating that because people are downloading (streaming) huge amounts of data from a specific source (videos tend to be large), that the video provider/consumer should be charged more. People are using most of their data allowances on one site so there is a huge amount of traffic passing over a specific network to get to that site which is causing congestion. The thing is, we can't really be sure if that is true, or if ISPs are artificially creating congestion by mismanaging the network in order to get extra money out of the producer/consumer. Comcast said they needed huge infrastructure upgrades to fix the problem but seemingly all they needed was a cheque from Netflix and somehow the problem was solved. Netflix speeds increased dramatically without all those infrastructure upgrades.

Source: Tek Syndicate

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

ur ISP just sucks

i knooooow but what i want to understand isnt  a server cost a lot of bandwidth for it to work?

ur ISP just sucks

This is true.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

i knooooow but what i want to understand isnt  a server cost a lot of bandwidth for it to work?

This makes no sense. 

What are you trying to say?

A server only uses a lot of bandwidth if it downloads/uploads a lot of data. If it sits there and does nothing it uses no bandwidth. If it people access a website hosted on that server it will require X amount bandwidth per user per second. If loads of people suddenly go on it then it will require a large amount of bandwidth to upload website so that users can download it from server.

This makes no sense. 

Just correct me if i'm wrong. Let us say that you created your server for a website you created for your home videos, when people want to download the videos your server will use your bandwidth to meet that demand but then a hundreds started downloading at the same time, throttling down your bandwidth giving your viewers a horrible download rate.

Just correct me if i'm wrong. Let us say that you created your server for a website you created for your home videos, when people want to download the videos your server will use your bandwidth to meet that demand but then a hundreds started downloading at the same time, throttling down your bandwidth giving your viewers a horrible download rate.

That's right. 

However, that's not our ISP's problem. Our ISP's problem is all their users (that's us) watching HD video which their network can't support even though they promise all of us the bandwidth we pay for. So they throttle the server even though it's not the server's fault. It's the ISPs fault. 

Or they artificially slow the Server's connection (Netflix's) so that they can get more money out of them, and then they blame Netflix instead of telling the truth. That it's them.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Our ISPs are the devil.

now that's information i was looking for! :) thanks!

The whole issue is that Netflix and the customer has paid for their required amount of data but ISPs are not throttling it, but sending it over a congested network to appear as if it is being throttled. (don't quote me on that though)

Check out these videos

There are more on there too.

Check out these videos

There are more on there too.

Pretty much the whole idea is that ISP's are a bunch of greedy bastards that want more money, it's not about law it's all about money.