Need to get back into modern PCs.

whm1974

My current Rig it getting long in the toot and planning on doing a new build in 2022. I watched this Best  CPUs of of 2022 video from Gamer's Nexus.

How to get back track on what is current tech, as I prefer to read PC Build Guides then watch some long video. Used to read The Tech Report Build Guides a few times a year. In fact I watch a video by the them before even buying the parts.

So what are good Sites to get started on Learning? I can use LTT Forum to ask questions.

Did you mean on doing a new build in 2023? Or were you planning on doing all of this next month?

As for tech guides, I can't really suggest since I don't need guides, but I do like to be brought up to speed on all the latest tech. But for me it's easier to consume via YouTube video. 

There is that "last PC build guide you'll ever need" or whatever video it's called from LTT. Although I know you said you prefer to read, and that video is extra long.

24 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Did you mean on doing a new build in 2023? Or were you planning on doing all of this next month?

As for tech guides, I can't really suggest since I don't need guides, but I do like to be brought up to speed on all the latest tech. But for me it's easier to consume via YouTube video. 

Yes I meant 2023, can't believe I did that.🤦‍♂️ Well when I got started with DIY PCs, YouTube wasn't a thing, Neither was Google(Year 2000). My First build was Socket A...

32 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Thanks if you can post a link please.

I have a Corsair 300R case. Was going to get a 200R but Newegg was out at the time. Speaking of Newegg, can anyone tell why they using Third Party Sellers in the first place? Used to be a great place to buy PC Parts from, but now I'm sure if I can trust them to give me anything I ordered.

I had a friend ordered a Windows 7 DVD and he gotten it broken. Should have had him get the USB Stick instead... They sent him a EVGA 750W Bronze 80+ PSU instead of a Good Disc. First time I had to deal with customer service...

What are some good online PC parts vendors?

36 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

My First build was Socket A...

Nice, that was technically my first build as well that didn't have any of the family computers parts in it.

20 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Speaking of Newegg, can anyone tell why they using Third Party Sellers in the first place?

Not sure when this started, but it seems to be the norm for some online retailers now. Like I've seen it with Amazon (obviously) and Walmart. When I shop at Newegg, I always check for the, what is it, "shipped by newegg" badge. Just in case. 

21 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

What are some good online PC parts vendors?

Where are you located? My go to places are usually local Canada Computers, then Newegg/Amazon.  I get my watercooling from EKWB, but that stuff is probably not what you were talking about.

23 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Thanks if you can post a link please

I don't have a specific link, maybe perhaps check on some of the latest generation gear from your fav youtuber. Like maybe look at reviews for the new platforms like AM5 and LGA1700. Maybe pros and cons of DDR4 vs DDR5 for different use cases. I know places like LTT and GN have had videos around all of these topics. Oh yeah don't forget we have new GPUs, nvidia just released their 4090 and 4080, I highly recommend you check some reviews on those products. As well as some of the controversy around the pricing / unrelease of the 4080 12gb. Not to mention AMD has a new video card(s) that should be in the hands of reviewers in a couple weeks (7900xt and xtx) that I am excited to see the results of in benchmarks.

Hope that helps give you some idea of the things you can catch up on. I'm sure I am missing a ton; others will surely fill in what I missed.

2 hours ago, Bad5ector said:

Not sure when this started, but it seems to be the norm for some online retailers now. Like I've seen it with Amazon (obviously) and Walmart. When I shop at Newegg, I always check for the, what is it, "shipped by newegg" badge. Just in case. 

How about Newegg shipping your order to you without getting it broken? Had a nasty experience dealing their customer service for my friend and I. Don't care to repeat that.

Amazon I can see using Third Party Sellers. But not sure about ordering Computer Parts from them.

3 hours ago, Bad5ector said:

I don't have a specific link, maybe perhaps check on some of the latest generation gear from your fav youtuber. Like maybe look at reviews for the new platforms like AM5 and LGA1700. Maybe pros and cons of DDR4 vs DDR5 for different use cases. I know places like LTT and GN have had videos around all of these topics. Oh yeah don't forget we have new GPUs, nvidia just released their 4090 and 4080, I highly recommend you check some reviews on those products. As well as some of the controversy around the pricing / unrelease of the 4080 12gb. Not to mention AMD has a new video card(s) that should be in the hands of reviewers in a couple weeks (7900xt and xtx) that I am excited to see the results of in benchmarks.

Well I'm building next year. Aside from the time to do research, I have to save money and there other stuff I need to get as well.

I want what is current but not bleeding edge. And certainly not anything ridiculously overpriced.

Any Tech Sites that does multiple Build Guides a year? Like a webpage?

3 hours ago, whm1974 said:

How about Newegg shipping your order to you without getting it broken? Had a nasty experience dealing their customer service for my friend and I. Don't care to repeat that.

Amazon I can see using Third Party Sellers. But not sure about ordering Computer Parts from them.

Well I'm building next year. Aside from the time to do research, I have to save money and there other stuff I need to get as well.

I want what is current but not bleeding edge. And certainly not anything ridiculously overpriced.

Any Tech Sites that does multiple Build Guides a year? Like a webpage?

a price point and what you want to do with it helps. then people will make a list with good parts.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

34 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

a price point and what you want to do with it helps. then people will make a list with good parts.

OK. That will depend on how much money I save up by then. Maybe ~$1200 or so. I was just looking at This:

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-graphics-cards/

The AMD Rx 6600 and Rx 6650 XT looks looks to be lower cost. But MSI branded Card seems to reasonable.

2 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

OK. That will depend on how much money I save up by then. Maybe ~$1200 or so. I was just looking at This:

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-graphics-cards/

well that's a start but more info the better people can help. you can use pc part picker to pick parts in to a list and post a list of that that will give an idea of what case you like. other will tweak your list picking better ssd, psu, and stuff for the moeny. but i guess if you have not been fallowing pc stuff for years then i can be hard to start some ware... you might think sli is still a thing... or something. i wish there was a video of the histry of pc parts like pixselpipes for gpus... (thow old gpus) but the history, testing and content is top notch.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

2 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

well that's a start but more info the better people can help. you can use pc part picker to pick parts in to a list and post a list of that that will give an idea of what case you like. other will tweak your list picking better ssd, psu, and stuff for the moeny. but i guess if you have not been fallowing pc stuff for years then i can be hard to start some ware... you might think sli is still a thing... or something. i wish there was a video of the histry of pc parts like pixselpipes for gpus... (thow old gpus) but the history, testing and content is top notch.

Thanks. I thought about using PC Part Picker anyway. But I'm going to Build with current tech anyway. Such as AM5 and whatever Intel is using(Gen 12, 13?). Go with DDR5 and all that.

Didn't PCIe Gen 4 just came out fairly recently like last year with AMD chipsets, and AMD just release Gen 4 dGPUs this year? Don't see the point of motherboards supporting PCIe Gen 5 at the moment. Or Cards using it either.

Don't know if it will be worth it to upgrade my dGPU anyway. Have a Seasonic 550w 80% Gold PSU. Is that brand still one of the best PSUs?

4 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Well it is:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/whm1974/saved/9dkxgs

This is just a place holder for next year. By the time I build the parts will change.

ya i would pick out a case and other stuff and wate to pick up the gpu,cpu, mb and cpu cooler. but ya the curnet gen is more powerful and uses less power and is not too much in cost so...

i keep up with it a bit but mostly the fastest nvida gpu and that's about it... prats seems to come out like every 2 moths...

se sonic makes good psus. but might be a little bigger and cheaper option thats just as good but and psu expert will help with that.

Edited by thrasher_565

5 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya i would pick out a case and other stuff and wate to pick up the gpu,cpu, mb and cpu cooler. but ya the curnet gen is more powerful and uses less power and is not too much in cost so...

i keep up with it a bit but mostly the fastest nvida gpu and that's about it... prats seems to come out like every 2 moths...

se sonic makes good psus. but might be a little bigger and cheaper option thats just as good but and psu expert will help with that.

Well I already have a nice Corsair 300R that I can reuse. Looking the the parts list, do I really need a new PSU? Or should the current PSU be replace due it's age?

5 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Well I already have a nice Corsair 300R that I can reuse. Looking the the parts list, do I really need a new PSU? Or should the current PSU be replace due it's age?

might be too low of wattage but just depends on what you get. but if its really old i would just buy a new one... not that good psus cant last 10+ years

not only that it might not have enough connectors as some mb and gpus need alot...

Edited by thrasher_565

On 11/25/2022 at 8:06 PM, thrasher_565 said:

might be too low of wattage but just depends on what you get. but if its really old i would just buy a new one... not that good psus cant last 10+ years

not only that it might not have enough connectors as some mb and gpus need alot...

Thanks for mentioning having enough connectors there. As I posted before my Build was from ~June 2013.  I do have a ASRock Z87 Board. Didn't want some cheap ass MB that will fail on me. Had a 2nd BioStar Motherboard that did that. Ditto for a PSU.

Is SeaSonic still one of best, at least with 80%+ Gold?

9 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Thanks for mentioning having enough connectors there. As I posted before my Build was from ~June 2013.  I do have a ASRock Z87 Board. Didn't want some cheap ass MB that will fail on me. Had a 2nd BioStar Motherboard that did that. Ditto for a PSU.

Is SeaSonic still one of best, at least with 80%+ Gold?

seasonic is a bit expensive as they make psus for other company's that's cheaper and same quality. but psu and most pc parts are of way better quality then back then thow around z87 parts was good too. parts will alst so long you want to upgrade... witch is a good thing i guess. but there other people on here that have way more experience  about psus then me... but anything from corsair, bequiet, evga, asus, SeaSonic, silverston are all good options.

imo i would replace it. you can buy a psu tester to see if its still ok.

Edited by thrasher_565

12 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

seasonic is a bit expensive as they make psus for other company's that's cheaper and same quality. but psu and most pc parts are of way better quality then back then thow around z87 parts was good too. parts will alst so long you want to upgrade... witch is a good thing i guess. but there other people on here that have way more experience  about psus then me... but anything from corsair, bequiet, evga, asus, SeaSonic, silverston are all good options.

imo i would replace it. you can buy a psu tester to see if its still ok.

I'm aware that Seasonic does makes PSUs for other companies. I pick a Z87 board in 2013 to endure to ensure the motherboard that I get needed features. Now that PCIe x4 SSDs among other Cards exist, I may benefit by having those slots.

As of now, I do have Cable Internet, with modem plugged in the Ethernet Jack. but a WiFi Card might be needed later...

2 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I'm aware that Seasonic does makes PSUs for other companies. I pick a Z87 board in 2013 to endure to ensure the motherboard that I get needed features. Now that PCIe x4 SSDs among other Cards exist, I may benefit by having those slots.

As of now, I do have Cable Internet, with modem plugged in the Ethernet Jack. but a WiFi Card might be needed later...

the pci 4.0 is just a bit faster like everything els. it make sense to buy a mb with it thow i think the gpus that do use it are really expensive... and if you dont plan on upgrading all that offend then it might not even get used... but at some point all mb will have 4.0 anyway..

there alot more things to do on pcs other then gaming now days and thows use alot of these extra stuff.

PCIe 4.0 vs. PCIe 3.0 GPU Benchmark | TechSpot

11 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

the pci 4.0 is just a bit faster like everything els. it make sense to buy a mb with it thow i think the gpus that do use it are really expensive... and if you dont plan on upgrading all that offend then it might not even get used... but at some point all mb will have 4.0 anyway..

there alot more things to do on pcs other then gaming now days and thows use alot of these extra stuff.

I that at least what that game, there is only 1 or 2 frame differences between PCIe x16 and x8 Slots, with a high end card.

However with a few games at 4K Ultra settings, I've seen benchmarks where PCIe v4 has a noticeable difference.

But I am wanting to into other stuff besides games later.

* your thread was moved to the New Builds and Planning section *

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

4 hours ago, whm1974 said:

I that at least what that game, there is only 1 or 2 frame differences between PCIe x16 and x8 Slots, with a high end card.

However with a few games at 4K Ultra settings, I've seen benchmarks where PCIe v4 has a noticeable difference.

But I am wanting to into other stuff besides games later.

ya atm 4.0 seem pointless imo even with 4k and a 4090... but maybe drives will and ram might make use of it later on? i dont no when it comes to stuff like that... i just games so... i spend my moeny on argb and water cooling... just got 5x 580mm rads...temps are gona run sub ambient! haha i kid... 

Edited by thrasher_565

9 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya atm 4.0 seem pointless imo even with 4k and a 4090... but maybe drives will and ram might make use of it later on? i dont no when it comes to stuff like that... i just games so... i spend my moeny on argb and water cooling... just got 5x 580mm rads...temps are gona run sub ambient! haha i kid... 

Well there is already a much faster buss for RAM then PCIe v4 has. Unless you were referring to a I/O Card with Flash Memory on it.

Any Computer Tech Websites that does PC Hardware reviews? Preferably those that have a proper forum. Those that have a YouTube channel are almost a given. Not that this Forum isn't great, but it is easier to get details straight then watching some long video.

But I have to some buy some things first before doing a build.