PC randomly crashes on high GPU use

ShovonKhan
Go to solution Solved by ShovonKhan,

So, I think I found out the reason. I guess I have some problem with my RAM or RAM slot.

I have 8x2 G.Skill RAM sticks and I ran various GPU/CPU stress benchmarks without issues. But when I tried stress testing the RAM, my PC froze. So, I pulled one stick out and tried gaming on it. Now I can play all the games without crashing! Not sure why it's behaving like this as the 16GBs of RAM works fine for normal tasks.

PC config:

Intel Core i5 8400 (Windows 11)

ASRock Z370m Pro4 (Latest possible BIOS)

AMD rx 480 8GB (Sapphire) (latest driver)

GSkill 2400MHz 8x2 GB

Thermaltek 530W 80 Bronze PSU

So, the problem is, when I play games the PC crashes suddenly. The screen freezes and static glitches are visible. The speaker makes a constant static noise like "Krrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr". Can't do anything until I restart pressing the power button. I used to use the GPU with 6th gen i5 before and faced no issues back then, but now I'm not sure if it's the GPU itself or the driver that's causing the issue. I tried updating the BIOS to the latest, but no luck.

Last month I played COD MW remastered without any problem. I also played some other AAA titles without any issues but when I installed Valorant for my brother, it was crashing. Then it crashed while playing Far Cry 4 and Primal too. After that I reset the BIOS settings, cleared CMOS, then those games were not crashing for a while. But some other games were crashing that didn't crash before, like Sniper Elite III, Tomb Raider Franchise etc. Should mention that before resetting BIOS Shadow of the Tomb Raider benchmark was crashing at a certain point, but after the reset the benchmark wasn't crashing anymore. But some of the other games are crashing now.

Now I'm just confused regarding the issue. What do you guys suspect? Could it be AMD driver issue? Or Windows 11? Or could it be that the PSU cannot provide enough power? This shouldn't be the case though. I'm kinda sure that the GPU is behind this somehow, but not sure how. Give me some ideas, it will be really helpful.

Are you sure your cpu isn't the one getting maxed out at 100% this seems like issue that happens when the cpu reaches 100% etc

ok, it sounds like it could be psu (seems just weak all around and probably its old too?)

windows 11 maybe , but id change the psu first . a 600w corsair or something (not even the expensive ones) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

valorants anti cheat (vanguard) could be causing issues in your system if this all started with a valorant install but is persisting. try removing valorant and vanguard possibly.

5 minutes ago, GrizzlyBear0 said:

Are you sure your cpu isn't the one getting maxed out at 100% this seems like issue that happens when the cpu reaches 100% etc

why? shouldn't the pc just like get slow with 100% cpu instead of outright crashing?  

2 minutes ago, matt0725 said:

valorants anti cheat (vanguard) could be causing issues in your system if this all started with a valorant install but is persisting. try removing valorant and vanguard possibly.

thought of that as soon i read valorant, but i wasn't sure if that could be it, definitely a possibility! 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, GrizzlyBear0 said:

Yeah, I was monitoring via Afterburner. The GPU usage was around 100%, CPU usage is around 60% usually and the temp was around 80 for GPU and around 70 for CPU

4 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

ok, it sounds like it could be psu (seems just weak all around and probably its old too?)

windows 11 maybe , but id change the psu first . a 600w corsair or something (not even the expensive ones) 

It is old PSU (got in 2016), yes. But it supported me so far without any issues, so didn't think of changing it.

3 minutes ago, ShovonKhan said:

It is old PSU (got in 2016), yes. But it supported me so far without any issues, so didn't think of changing it.

right, i mean it could be valorant anti cheat. id go with that first (always choose option thats free first lol) 

make sure to uninstall both, the game and the anti cheat. see if you can find a tutorial, maybe you also have to DDU the drivers or something.  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, matt0725 said:

I will try uninstalling it then. In the beginning Valorant itself used to crash after a few minutes into the game. But now I can play for a while without issues, but it crashes at some point.

7 minutes ago, ShovonKhan said:

Yeah, I was monitoring via Afterburner. The GPU usage was around 100%, CPU usage is around 60% usually and the temp was around 80 for GPU and around 70 for CPU

temp seems high for your cpu/gpu then again im not expert

but ever since i changed my thermal paste on my cpu and changed fans my cpu temp goes to 50 max even when oc

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

right, i mean it could be valorant anti cheat. id go with that first (always choose option thats free first lol) 

make sure to uninstall both, the game and the anti cheat. see if you can find a tutorial, maybe you also have to DDU the drivers or something.  

I did use AMD's DDU too thinking that it could be some kind of conflict between old driver files, but even after clean install it didn't help.

2 minutes ago, ShovonKhan said:

I will try uninstalling it then. In the beginning Valorant itself used to crash after a few minutes into the game. But now I can play for a while without issues, but it crashes at some point.

Download malwarebytes premium trial and do a scan

and download ccleaner and do a scan for registry only[multiple times] and repair/fix[multiple times]

you can delete them after.

Just now, ShovonKhan said:

I did use AMD's DDU too thinking that it could be some kind of conflict between old driver files, but even after clean install it didn't help.

Also try defragment and Optimize Drives and optimize ur storage devices.

32 minutes ago, ShovonKhan said:

PC config:

Intel Core i5 8400 (Windows 11)

ASRock Z370m Pro4 (Latest possible BIOS)

AMD rx 480 8GB (Sapphire) (latest driver)

GSkill 2400MHz 8x2 GB

Thermaltek 530W 80 Bronze PSU

So, the problem is, when I play games the PC crashes suddenly. The screen freezes and static glitches are visible. The speaker makes a constant static noise like "Krrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr". Can't do anything until I restart pressing the power button. I used to use the GPU with 6th gen i5 before and faced no issues back then, but now I'm not sure if it's the GPU itself or the driver that's causing the issue. I tried updating the BIOS to the latest, but no luck.

Last month I played COD MW remastered without any problem. I also played some other AAA titles without any issues but when I installed Valorant for my brother, it was crashing. Then it crashed while playing Far Cry 4 and Primal too. After that I reset the BIOS settings, cleared CMOS, then those games were not crashing for a while. But some other games were crashing that didn't crash before, like Sniper Elite III, Tomb Raider Franchise etc. Should mention that before resetting BIOS Shadow of the Tomb Raider benchmark was crashing at a certain point, but after the reset the benchmark wasn't crashing anymore. But some of the other games are crashing now.

Now I'm just confused regarding the issue. What do you guys suspect? Could it be AMD driver issue? Or Windows 11? Or could it be that the PSU cannot provide enough power? This shouldn't be the case though. I'm kinda sure that the GPU is behind this somehow, but not sure how. Give me some ideas, it will be really helpful.

Update your drivers obviously and your bios! if you have any bios updates make sure to update them.

Just now, GrizzlyBear0 said:

temp seems high for your cpu/gpu then again im not expert

but ever since i changed my thermal paste on my cpu and changed fans my cpu temp goes to 50 max even when oc

Using the stock cooler. The temp is a bit high, yes. But it shouldn't crash when it's not even 100C.

Just now, GrizzlyBear0 said:

Update your drivers obviously and your bios! if you have any bios updates make sure to update them.

All are updated. I made sure of that. 

37 minutes ago, ShovonKhan said:

All are updated. I made sure of that. 

Well it's always good to keep your pc optimized so try malewarebytes premium trial and go into settings and check rootscan and other things and do a full scan

and registry scan with ccleaner multiple times and fix

+Defragment and Optimize Drives

this might be a virus as well

this is usually how u find the issue u try 1 thing and a try and narrow down the issue so try these first and we will see what's next.

Also choose performance plan in power plan settings.

1 hour ago, ShovonKhan said:

ok, well i think you should do this first before continuing with troubleshooting...

seems easy enough as long u use control panel (and im not sure if that's still up to date info)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 11/16/2022 at 4:35 AM, Mark Kaine said:

ok, well i think you should do this first before continuing with troubleshooting...

seems easy enough as long u use control panel (and im not sure if that's still up to date info)

Update: Uninstalling Valorant/Vanguard didn't solve the issue.

On 11/16/2022 at 4:00 AM, GrizzlyBear0 said:

Well it's always good to keep your pc optimized so try malewarebytes premium trial and go into settings and check rootscan and other things and do a full scan

and registry scan with ccleaner multiple times and fix

+Defragment and Optimize Drives

this might be a virus as well

this is usually how u find the issue u try 1 thing and a try and narrow down the issue so try these first and we will see what's next.

Also choose performance plan in power plan settings.

This didn't solve either. My PC is well optimized since the beginning.

Another update, I tried running Furmark stress test on the GPU and ran it for a while on full load, but this didn't crash the PC. So, I think it wasn't the PSU either! The GPU drew almost 150W during the test.

Now I'm kinda clueless! 

On 11/19/2022 at 4:46 PM, ShovonKhan said:

Another update, I tried running Furmark stress test on the GPU and ran it for a while on full load, but this didn't crash the PC. So, I think it wasn't the PSU either! The GPU drew almost 150W during the test.

Now I'm kinda clueless! 

does it only happen in specific games or all games that u play? atm?

On 11/23/2022 at 3:42 PM, GrizzlyBear0 said:

does it only happen in specific games or all games that u play? atm?

Kinda random. I completed COD MW remastered version without any issues. Played Sniper Elite 3 for first 5-6 missions without problems, but recently it's been crashing. Some plays smooth, some crashes. They the smooth games crash and others doesn't!

Those are abnormal temps you need to get your fans setup for cpu and gpu as follows: 50% at 40C, 100% at 60C.

If you still get high temps, replace the fans with one that give higher CFM.

17 hours ago, Cyberat said:

Those are abnormal temps you need to get your fans setup for cpu and gpu as follows: 50% at 40C, 100% at 60C.

If you still get high temps, replace the fans with one that give higher CFM.

I'll change the CPU cooler then, and let you know.