Let's talk about 'Bottlenecks'

Sarra

There are many, many threads where people ask the same question: "Will this cause a bottleneck?" Often, there's a little bit of hardware sprinkled in with the question, typically a CPU and a GPU. Sometimes, an entire build. Maybe even a diagram, PCPartpicker list, or copy of an invoice...

The answer is "Yes. Yes, there IS a bottleneck."

The answer isn't wrong, the question is.

The question everyone should be asking is: "Will this cause a noticeable degradation in performance?"

And almost always, the answer is 'No, you won't notice a problem."

A modern CPU and a modern GPU will almost invariably give reasonable performance. Pairing a high end CPU with a low end GPU might give a limited performance, but a low end CPU and high end GPU will likely be fine for gaming. A low end CPU and low end GPU will make a fine budget system, and a high end CPU and GPU will provide a good gaming experience while also being usable for productivity, if needed.

When asking about pairing mismatched hardware, generationally (example, a CPU from 2016 and a GPU from 2022), instead of asking 'is this going to bottleneck?', consider asking "Will this give satisfactory performance?" The answer is going to be more applicable than asking if it'll bottleneck.

Always keep in mind, there are factors beyond your GPU and CPU that effect performance. Having a 13900k and 4090, but having Windows 11 sitting on a budget 5600RPM hard drive from 2009 is going to cause some issues in performance. Running a 13900k with a 4090, but having DDR4 2133 RAM is going to hurt performance. The key is a balanced system, you can pair old parts and new parts, if you ask the right questions, or know what you're doing, and still have a usable gaming experience.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Will my 4090 system be bottlenecked by a 7950x with 3dvache phase change cooled and run at 6GHz? 128GB RAM running at 6GTS with tight timings and 3.2TB of RAID10 Optane p5800x for storage. 25Gbps networking connected to a NAS with 2TB RAM caching files off of a ~100TB array of nvme 4.0 drives.
Using a 24" 480Hz 1080p monitor. Also an 85" 4K 120Hz Oled.

I'm playing mine sweeper on windows 3.1.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

1 hour ago, cmndr said:

Will my 4090 system be bottlenecked by a 7950x with 3dvache phase change cooled and run at 6GHz? 128GB RAM running at 6GTS with tight timings and 3.2TB of RAID10 Optane p5800x for storage. 25Gbps networking connected to a NAS with 2TB RAM caching files off of a ~100TB array of nvme 4.0 drives.
Using a 24" 480Hz 1080p monitor. Also an 85" 4K 120Hz Oled.

yes... your pocket

7 hours ago, Sarra said:

There are many, many threads where people ask the same question: "Will this cause a bottleneck?" Often, there's a little bit of hardware sprinkled in with the question, typically a CPU and a GPU. Sometimes, an entire build. Maybe even a diagram, PCPartpicker list, or copy of an invoice...

The answer is "Yes. Yes, there IS a bottleneck."

The answer isn't wrong, the question is.

The question everyone should be asking is: "Will this cause a noticeable degradation in performance?"

And almost always, the answer is 'No, you won't notice a problem."

A modern CPU and a modern GPU will almost invariably give reasonable performance. Pairing a high end CPU with a low end GPU might give a limited performance, but a low end CPU and high end GPU will likely be fine for gaming. A low end CPU and low end GPU will make a fine budget system, and a high end CPU and GPU will provide a good gaming experience while also being usable for productivity, if needed.

When asking about pairing mismatched hardware, generationally (example, a CPU from 2016 and a GPU from 2022), instead of asking 'is this going to bottleneck?', consider asking "Will this give satisfactory performance?" The answer is going to be more applicable than asking if it'll bottleneck.

Always keep in mind, there are factors beyond your GPU and CPU that effect performance. Having a 13900k and 4090, but having Windows 11 sitting on a budget 5600RPM hard drive from 2009 is going to cause some issues in performance. Running a 13900k with a 4090, but having DDR4 2133 RAM is going to hurt performance. The key is a balanced system, you can pair old parts and new parts, if you ask the right questions, or know what you're doing, and still have a usable gaming experience.

there a lack of what is a bottle neck and a list of what can this + this do.  how to set all the stings for the best option. what monitor to use at what restorations. 

then there other things like drivers and os then amd vs nvidia.

how to set gpu fan profiles oc/under volt, how to set cpu fan profiles, how to set ram profiles, what programs to use to monitor what temps are normal for gpu / cpu

there post all around bout this stuff but nothing in one spot is the problem... there might be a list of psu but it dose no good if people cant find it.

i dont even no how to setup my stuff haha... 🤔 and i been playing / building pcs for 15+ years now

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links