Whats your favourite specific PC component of all time

Adam1984

Mine would be the i7-4790K. My first CPU I used to build in my first DIY PC. Used it for about 4-1/2 years before upgrading to X299 (that was a mistake and misinformed decision). 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Voodoo3, my first GPU that I paid for myself. Would kill to have another PCI one to put in my retro PC, this TNT2 M64 is so junk.

Main Rig:

Ryzen 5800x, ASUS Crosshair Hero VII Wi-Fi, 32gb of Corsair Vengence Pro SL 3600 CL18, MSI Ventus 2 OC RTX 3060 12gb, Corsair H115i Pro AIO cooler, Soundblaster AE-7, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition 600Ohm headphones, Creative Giga Speakers, 1tb ADATA SX8200 NVME SSD, 1tb Intel 665P NVME SSD, 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD, 8tb WB Black SATA HDD, LG SATA Blue Ray Drive, Corsair CX850M PSU, Coolermaster Stryker case, ROG ARGB strips, China ARGB fans, China ARGB SSD heat sink. 🤣

HTPC:

Erying 11800 ES CPU/Mobo combo, 32GB of Corsair LPX 3200 CL16, Gigabyte 4060 8gb LP, Thermalright AXP90 full copper cooler, WD Black SN770 500gb NVME SSD, WD Black SN770 1tb NVME SSD, Crucial MX500 2tb SATA SSD, WD Blue 2tb SATA HDD, Pioneer Blu-Ray burner, Intel AX200 WiFi/Bluetooth, Seasonic 300w TFX PSU, Silverstone ML11 case. STILL NO RGB! 😭

Retro Gamer PC:

VIA C3 1000Mhz, VIA Epia PD-10000 LVDS, 1gb of Kingston DDR, PNY Geforce FX5500 128mb PCI, WD 80GB HDD, Random CD-ROM, Random 250w mini psu, Mini ITX case 🤣

7C4BBCC1-D11A-4FB5-A720-45049ED0DE8F.thumb.jpeg.845f008d2add3404cb5b7dad71663cfd.jpegC2CD5C46-4D15-4AF3-9DA8-7F6C0F4E8BC7.thumb.jpeg.888c57a804ab0ec6cfcdb0a8bb815368.jpeg

Pixelview PDFII GeForce FX 5900 XT

This is the gpu that I saw years and years ago online and set as this kinda holy grail for rare hardware collecting. Especially from the era I’m most interested in, this gpu was the top of my list. And it took literally 8 years but I did finally find one.

Its the centerpiece of my collection now.

1 hour ago, OU812 said:

Voodoo3, my first GPU that I paid for myself. Would kill to have another PCI one to put in my retro PC, this TNT2 M64 is so junk.

Such a cool graphics card, I remember when I was a kid dreaming about having a voodoo card (may have been the first one). I think they were £500 at the time if I remember right, all we had was an 4mb onboard video and couldnt run anything good. Back then it was like a 3d accelerator card wasnt it? Lol I do miss those days

Geforce 8800 GTS, Was the first card I bought with my own money. It died on me after a few year's but always have fond memories of it.

CPU: Ryzen 5900x | GPU: RTX 3090 FE | MB: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: 32gb Ballistix | PSU: Corsair RM750 | Cooler: Sythe Fuma 2 | Case: Phanteks P600s | Storage: 2TB WD Black SN 750 & 1TB Sabrent Rocket | OS: Windows 11 Pro & Linux Mint

idk i would have to say my 3570k... still in use in my brothers pc to this day

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700x  (evga 240 AIO cooling)
PBO Settings:
Boost Override CPU: +200
CO: -17 all core
PPT: 140
TDC:  110
EDC: 150
Scalar: Auto

Mobo: Asrock x570 steel legend wifi ax

GPU: asrock challenger 7800xt 16 gb

Ram: 32 gb @3600 mhz

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-1000

Storage: 1tb Samsung 860 ssd, 1tb nvme, 2tb Hitachi HDD, 3tb HDD for media

Display: Samsung 27" CHG70 1440p QLED Monitor

Mine has to be the Sapphire Radeon HD 6950.

I remember buying BF3 and wanting to play it on an crappy PC and then building my first Gaming PC together with my father with an i5-2400 and an HD 6950.

2 hours ago, Ohundreds said:

Mine has to be the Sapphire Radeon HD 6950.

I remember buying BF3 and wanting to play it on an crappy PC and then building my first Gaming PC together with my father with an i5-2400 and an HD 6950.

I remember when they released the 6990, what a beast of a card that thing was

P8Z77i-Deluxe

It was my first ITX board and I still regret selling it with my 2500k. Back then, this thing was amazing and very unique. It had one of those daughter boards so you had more space for all the VRMs and thus was able to oc the snot out of my little i5.

1393410791_ASUSP8Z77-IOblique3.png.ce512e1737aba0200b2a57d658b3c339.png

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

Well, I still love my MSI GX70 3BE, sadly have to decommission due to battery and keyboard issue...

https://asset.msi.com/resize/image/global/product/five_pictures7_2808_20130708171618.png62405b38c58fe0f07fcef2367d8a9ba1/1024.png.

Plan to revive it, but the processor (AMD A10 5750M) is very obsolete in today's standard. I still have AMD Radeon HD 8970m 2GB MXM card with me. Still a decent card for 1080p gaming. Games that still play well are StarCraft 2, Crysis 3 (still manage about 45-55fps), FarCry3 (yes, RIP, my favourite game), Command and Conquer series (Tiberium War, TW Kane's Wrath, Tiberium Twilight, Red Alert 3), Civilization V and Beyond Earth (glitchy but playable due to graphic driver not supported because of the integrated AMD 8650G), Dead Space, Assassin's Creed 3 (30-45fps), Anno 2205, Mass Effect 1, 2, 3, and Need for Speed Most Wanted (Criterion Games).

Anyway, it's quite an affordable (probably the only affordable) gaming laptop at that time that gives quite a performance on GPU. It also replace my HP Compaq Presario CQ42 which just died the day before. Lucky for me it was near some extravaganza sales back then and I got it with a good price. The build is quite solid and quite powerful for my needs at that time, too bad AMD decided to axe 8650G support a year and a half later, and Windows keep on updating the graphic driver for my HD8970m which is incompatible with 8650G.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Voodoo 2 card. I had that in my PC after not having 1 for years, I basically sold my old one (Cyrix 150mhz system) to get a Playstation, because it was trash and the PSX had so many more cool games.

When I got back to PCs, my brother build me one with left over parts, which included the Voodoo 2, which worked fantastic in some games. For the first time I felt I had a PC that was really powerful.

2 hours ago, Neroon said:

Voodoo 2 card. I had that in my PC after not having 1 for years, I basically sold my old one (Cyrix 150mhz system) to get a Playstation, because it was trash and the PSX had so many more cool games.

When I got back to PCs, my brother build me one with left over parts, which included the Voodoo 2, which worked fantastic in some games. For the first time I felt I had a PC that was really powerful.

Voodoo 2 was also exactly what I wanted to write.

I remember having a Riva TNT combined with the Voodoo 2. My brother had a Voodoo 2. Later I bought a Voodoo 3 and gave the Voodoo 2 to my brother so he had both in his rig, which was actually faster than the 3. Crazy cool hardware acceleration at this time.

58 minutes ago, HAFBlade said:

Voodoo 2 was also exactly what I wanted to write.

I remember having a Riva TNT combined with the Voodoo 2. My brother had a Voodoo 2. Later I bought a Voodoo 3 and gave the Voodoo 2 to my brother so he had both in his rig, which was actually faster than the 3. Crazy cool hardware acceleration at this time.

Dual Voodoo 2 was insane, never had it, but it was so cool.

I don't even remember what kind of card I had next to it, I know it was a 2MB and just not very powerful. Remember playing Star Trek Elite Force on that Voodoo.

The GTX 690.

361-bottom.jpg

I got mine for $110, plus $10 for a replacement fan (it didn't have one at first). I then got it an EK backplate (cools the VRMs on the back), then some Kryonaut and the 12.8 W/mK thermal pads.

Someday I want to own a Titan Z, but the GTX 690 is dang close.

elephants

On 11/13/2022 at 7:06 AM, Adam1984 said:

Mine has to be the i7-2600k, that thing was good for years and years, and overclocked really well too 

Still run a 2500k in my main PC. Gets it done. I rank that family of CPUs on my list best of all time. After close to a decade it's still productive. 

The P3 Tualatin over 1ghz were also workhorses. In dual and quad configs they beat the snot out of P4 Xeons up to 2.5ghz and were viable servers for years. First gen Core Duos were actually quad pumped Tualatins 🙂

3com 3c908 NIC card. This was the server version of the 3c905(a-z) which I hated. The 908 was far more stable, reliable, and the drivers were built into all version of windows. No need to download NIC drivers for anything. Just toss a 908 in the box.

3com gear in general. Their 10/100 switches were workhorses, unlike Cisco Cats which blew power supplies if a mouse farted in the room next door.

I really liked the Intel E8400. I managed to get mine up to 4 GHz and it chewed through everything until GTA 4. It was used for so long for so many things and was just rock solid.

Here is a vote for the HD6850. It was my first PC component purchase along with a Phenom II Black Edition. My local repair shop helped me put it together free of charge, and showed me how to unlock the disabled fourth core and set a mild OC. That rig ran stable until i retired it around 2016.

Radion Cyclone.jpg

Phenom 2.jpg

My own? Probably the 1080Ti, the thing was such good value. Only really beaten by the 1070 and the RX4/580 as a value proposition which is impressive considering it was a flagship that was so good they had to relaunch the Titan. 

My first soundblaster card.  

Going from a shitty bleep bleep to stereo sound was like crossing into another plane of existence. 

Either the Intel Q6600 or SSDs. Quad core CPUs and 64bit OS was a massive step up and SSDs can revive even the oldest and slowest hardware. Everyone old enough to remember what boot times were like back in the late 90s early 2000s will know what I'm talking about.

21 minutes ago, abit-sean said:

Either the Intel Q6600 or SSDs. Quad core CPUs and 64bit OS was a massive step up and SSDs can revive even the oldest and slowest hardware. Everyone old enough to remember what boot times were like back in the late 90s early 2000s will know what I'm talking about.

Every time I see your forum name, I get nostalgic for my abit ic7 max3.