Discussion: Are older, vintage gaming PC cases (2005-2015) better built than more expensive, new cases?

Go to solution Solved by Mihle,

Most of those unique cases is cases that is more expensive that cases mosy people buy, and is also more special looking than what most people are willing to buy. And some of them were just made as showcase cases that were just for sale for a limited time/quantity.

That's why you don't se more of them.

I have an itch to talk about this. It seems there was more variety of PC case designs in that certain era I mentions, and nowadays you are getting the same, boring thing, same dimensions, and no changes. Would an old Alienware case from the 2010's be more favorable by price and quality than a new one? I would think so, but would anyone else have a clue?

Basically, would older, high-end cases be better for building a new PC? 

My examples:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.engadget.com%2F2016-08-16-hp-omen-2016-revamp.html&psig=AOvVaw2J1HhuRZf0uO5RO2nsn0xB&ust=1667927503031000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAkQjhxqFwoTCND9r6PInPsCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAE

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcmag.com%2Freviews%2Fcyberpower-trinity-xtreme&psig=AOvVaw1IM8v-q3ZpbMOZnPpRcuPx&ust=1667927528942000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAkQjRxqFwoTCJje3rDInPsCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwhatifgaming.com%2Fmost-unique-pc-cases%2F&psig=AOvVaw2JL_iJ2kpn6EbtjSsHLQ_K&ust=1667927575197000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=2ahUKEwjHq6jGyJz7AhXUghUDHTdMBUQQr4kDegQIARBO

Depends on what you mean by "Better"....
That's a term with different meaning to different folks.

Some say actual durability is better, some say it's about the style so a fancier case to them is better, some want one with plenty of fans AND style, some want fans but don't care for style.....

If talking about what "Better" is supposed to mean by the context of the thread title, I'd have to say the older ones are more durable due to being made from better materials meaning they will last longer.

As an example, My Tt Core X5 to me is perfect - Not too big (Or small) with plenty of room inside and can be loaded up to the hilt with case fans too, has provisions to add watercooling to the system build if you want "As is"... There is alot you can do with it.

It's a case from after the end of the timeline (2005-2015) but it's still a good quality case for most anybody - Only caveat is it does take up some space so you'd have to do some measuring to plan on it's setup or if it would even go where you'd want it to.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Alienware cases are remarkably bad, so avoid those at all costs. Most OEM ones are, because this is the part where the OEM tries to save as much money as possible on.

I'd say that cases improved in quality over the past several years, so it's still pretty much "you get what you pay for" 🙂 For example I had a Phanteks P400 and it was pretty decent for what it cost, but it was clearly a budget case. I'm on Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic and its quality is better than I've ever seen on a case. It was appropriately more expensive though, so that's probably the reason.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

All of the examples you link to are from the mid 20-teens or are still basically current (like the Lian Li O11 family), yet the timeframe in the subject line goes back much earlier, so it's unclear on what we're actually supposed to be comparing.

Stuff like the Cyberpower Trinity and Omen X were basically showpieces designed to accommodate specific prebuilt configurations, and you can't compare them to "off the shelf" cases designed to let anybody build their own system inside. They will work with the (often highly proprietary) prebuilt hardware designed to go inside them and basically no other hardware.

In general, while there was more variation in aesthetic style of computer cases 10-20 years ago (NZXT went from making cases that looked like Transformer faces to making featureless glass boxes), by any measure of practical usability and performance - air flow, cable management, etc. - modern cases are generally superior. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Must agree - Design of the case itself matters too.
As said above by me :

3 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

the older ones are more durable due to being made from better materials meaning they will last longer.

And while this is true, design related to functionality matters as well.
If you can find an older case that's well constructed and designed for functionality, you're probrably set.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

All of the examples you link to are from the mid 20-teens or are still basically current (like the Lian Li O11 family), yet the timeframe in the subject line goes back much earlier, so it's unclear on what we're actually supposed to be comparing.

Stuff like the Cyberpower Trinity and Omen X were basically showpieces designed to accommodate specific prebuilt configurations, and you can't compare them to "off the shelf" cases designed to let anybody build their own system inside. They will work with the (often highly proprietary) prebuilt hardware designed to go inside them and basically no other hardware.

In general, while there was more variation in aesthetic style of computer cases 10-20 years ago (NZXT went from making cases that looked like Transformer faces to making featureless glass boxes), by any measure of practical usability and performance - air flow, cable management, etc. - modern cases are generally superior. 

I would think you would be able to put different stuff in an Omen X, it would just take some handywork, not just money and parts. Is it like trying to put another motherboard into a laptop it wasn't designed for?

The links are simply unique case designs. Not meant to be or not to be from that era.

4 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Alienware cases are remarkably bad, so avoid those at all costs. Most OEM ones are, because this is the part where the OEM tries to save as much money as possible on.

I'd say that cases improved in quality over the past several years, so it's still pretty much "you get what you pay for" 🙂 For example I had a Phanteks P400 and it was pretty decent for what it cost, but it was clearly a budget case. I'm on Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic and its quality is better than I've ever seen on a case. It was appropriately more expensive though, so that's probably the reason.

I have heard that Alienware cases don't hold up, but whats the issue if you never moved it once? Would it fall apart lmao? I just want a unique PC design, and being that if that hypothetical case was from 2009 you'd think it'd be dirt cheap.

1 minute ago, iNeedy said:

I have heard that Alienware cases don't hold up, but whats the issue if you never moved it once? Would it fall apart lmao? I just want a unique PC design, and being that if that hypothetical case was from 2009 you'd think it'd be dirt cheap.

I meant in terms of build quality, internal design etc. Alienware cases are mostly just cheap, generic metal boxes found in stuff like Dell's Optiplex PCs, but wrapped around with tons of unnecessary plastic. At least the ones that they make now. Example below:
71HS5vPpZQL.jpg

Notice how it's just a square made from cheap metal with giant plastic covers all around.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

7 minutes ago, iNeedy said:

The links are simply unique case designs. Not meant to be or not to be from that era.

Well it's confusing because the thread title gives the impression you're arguing cases were better or at least more interesting in the period 2005-2015 compared to what came after, but all of your examples of interesting cases did come after.

With some digging your certainly could find some wild-looking stuff from the 2000's to early 20-teens period.

d153224560.1.jpg

11-173-001-01.jpg

3fbdbf6d1ba5c5ac122c4d0c363b60a9--pc-cas

But you would have to be willing to make big sacrifices to do a modern build in any of these. For the practical things that matter to most people in choosing a case now, these things are strictly inferior to modern designs. 

3 minutes ago, iNeedy said:

The last post in that thread says they gave up on the build.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

i wouldnt say old cases were inherently better, but they did tend to have less trouble with going 'extreme' rather than just blindly catering to the current trends.

having recently dug around for a 'retro' case for a project, i'd say it's safe to assume that all the 'good ones' that survived are being well loved by their current owners.. and all the ones that suck have been turned into soda cans.

3 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Well it's confusing because the thread title gives the impression you're arguing cases were better or at least more interesting in the period 2005-2015 compared to what came after, but all of your examples of interesting cases did come after.

With some digging your certainly could find some wild-looking stuff from the late-aughts to early 20-teens period.

d153224560.1.jpg

11-173-001-01.jpg

3fbdbf6d1ba5c5ac122c4d0c363b60a9--pc-cas

But you would have to be willing to make big sacrifices to do a modern build in any of these. 

Awhile back I gave away a case similar to the first one shown (Red case) and it was complete with what it was supposed to have inside and out.
I also noted it wasn't of the best materials or construction - Kinda janky to open and work with TBH.

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

damn i should  have read it

age.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I meant in terms of build quality, internal design etc. Alienware cases are mostly just cheap, generic metal boxes found in stuff like Dell's Optiplex PCs, but wrapped around with tons of unnecessary plastic. At least the ones that they make now. Example below:
71HS5vPpZQL.jpg

Notice how it's just a square made from cheap metal with giant plastic covers all around.

the 'windows xp era' ones had some flair, but all the benefit that might have offered has been outdone by modern cases.

modern alienware cases are just a dell optiplex with a carnival store fat suit around them.

Most of those unique cases is cases that is more expensive that cases mosy people buy, and is also more special looking than what most people are willing to buy. And some of them were just made as showcase cases that were just for sale for a limited time/quantity.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

I guess if I really wanted to I could buy a used Aurora- but the proprietary parts issue most likely comes into play. There is one on eBay for 70 bucks but considering Dell likes their proprietary PSUs and other parts it would be tough to do anything with it like a modern build.

2 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Being that its for looks, you could say the same for expensive RGB fans. Although, if you were a crack addict and had a wild hair to buy an Omen X borg cube case and upgrade it, I would guess it would be possible, albeit expensive, and hard.

You would have to break out a saw to cut off janky parts preventing you from putting in non-proprietary parts. Also, if I had to guess, Dell put a proprietary PSU in it that is triangle shaped, which it impossible to replace.

Old cases are pretty bad to build in, they generally have terrible airflow, little to no cable management, won't be compatible with newer parts (2.5" drive bays, long GPUs, liquid cooling, fast front IO), and will have a bunch of obsolete features (CD and Floppy Bays, front panel firewire, etc). The only reason I can think of to get one is you like a specific design that they don't make anymore or someone is giving it away for free.

There's some classics from those days that were just fantastic to build in. Antec made some real treasures like the P180, 182 and 183. Even the smaller, cheaper Sonata was a decent case. 

Then you had the classic Chenbro towers that all the integrators were building in like Falcon and OG Alienware. Or Koolance and their built-in watercooled cases.

I 110% prefer modding an older case over new. I've spent a lot of time modding a P182 to handle a 240 rad for instance, and they tend to withstand cutting and drilling a lot better thanks to the thicker steel. You'd swear a P180 was made out of tank metal given how heavy a fully built system was.

There's a lot of stinkers from back then too of course, the cheapest made case today far outclasses the low end cases used 10 or 15 years ago, hands down. And fan support now is lightyears above what we had in 2009 or anywhere around that. 80mm exhaust fans? Why? Who thought that was a good idea? And those cheap plastic windows with fan grills. Ugh. 

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

As a long time builder i love the new cases.The old ones have lack of airflow,Sharp edges that will cut you.Psu at the top and none of them have the inside painted,And a window is a 3rd party kit.I'd much rather build in a new case then something old.

46 minutes ago, Erioch said:

The older ones were a pain in the ass to work in.  Cable management was non-existent.  Pieces would break all the damn time.

not to mention the scrapes you’d get if you nicked some skin on the sharp edges of the metal.

there older case that were cheap but now sell for 3x the new cost back then or more... like the antec lanboy is around $500 on ebay and was $100 new. so good case can go up based on what some one is willing to pay. i got a voodoo 5500 for $60 a few years ago sold it for $100 with wbs and now its worth $1000+ today... what can you do.

lian li cases were the best but no one could afford them and they took a long time to get 120mm fan support. at first they only catered to hi end servers but people keep bugging em to me cheaper cases.

antec of cores and serverstone were top company's then until corsair started making case they use to only make ram. zalman was another one Zalman Z-Machine GT1000 was the peek in cases after that they fell.

thermaltake was cheap case and they made some aluminum cases that kinda put them on the road map.

later on people wanted more cases with rad support. most of thow cases people still use and love today. but almost all case atlest allowed to mount a rad on the back fan out side the case.

the 5.25 bay case stil hold up as you can mount fans in em too and for thows nas. i had a thing about 5.25 back in the day...

i do miss the old days were people modded there case thow that the part i like most.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links