Car blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic system

Lurking
5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

So the guy was a moron.

I'm not sure how common "backup alert sounds" are in Australia, but here in Canada, literally only certain classes of large delivery trucks might have those. I've literally never seen a regular car with a backup alert. Even most pickup trucks, and pretty much all SUV's wouldn't have that either. Cargo van, maybe.

Not external reverse alarms, the beep in the dash when you get too close to an object behind you. Nearly every car made in the 10 years has them as standard.

Yes he was a moron, but morons are quite common theses days.

I really don't think this is the slam dunk argument you're making. People are idiots. They were idiots before.

As noted, literally *no* car in Canada has backup alerts, and people still walk in front of your reversing car (eg: in grocery store parking lots) literally all the time and expect you to see them and stop.

This also happened all the time in the 90's when there weren't even backup cameras. This is not new.

Your anecdotal example shows that it can cause the same idiocy I've seen for decades.

How can you say this happened before this tech arrived? he literally told me he walked behind the car because he assumed all cars had the same tech.  Who would assume reverse sensors were on a car before they were a thing?

Blind spot sensors are passive in the sense that all they do is warn you if it detects an obstruction. Personally, I feel that Blind spot sensors and backup cameras in particular are incredibly valuable safety tools for modern cars.

For some, perhaps.

They are  active because they tell you information that you once had to turn your head to know, now people are lazy and just look for a little light on their mirror,  no light = no car so I'll change lanes.   

The thing of it is, many drivers were already shit drivers, and were already dangerous. You taking away safety tech doesn't magically just make these idiots pay more attention. No. They just end up in even more dangerous situations.

IMO it seems to me that your main issue is with whatever driver licensing laws you have (and many other countries have). Make the test harder. Make it require a certain number of hours driven with an instructor, etc. Have occasional retests every 10 years or something.

Banning safety tech will not save lives, even if you think it makes drivers more complacent.

I guess you didn't read my other post:

10 hours ago, mr moose said:

I am definitely not saying we should be ditching all this new tech,  It definitely will save lives no doubt about that.  I'm just not convinced it won't also have a negative effect on many people.  I kinda liken it to how mobile phones now mean people can't remember phone numbers or shopping lists.  Back in the 80's and early 90's everyone would have memorized at least 10-15 phone numbers (3-4 family, 5 friends, school, doctors, 2-3 work related etc). Now the only number majority of people know is their own.

As you can see, my argument is not an absolute and never was,  my point is that tech makes people lazy, always did and always will do,  you can see it with smartphones, calculators, tills and so on.  I really don't think car tech is any different.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Ok so as someone who actually installs systems like this for a living let me help out a bit. The Boyo frame is useless and annoying, camera is fine but the monitoring sucks, dont bother. The brandmotion system is the only one on your list I have installed but can confirm that if you take your time and be careful when mounting your sensors it works exceptionally well. I know its the most expensive but when dealing with systems like this the lower priced ones tend to go off more randomly and that just makes people start to ignore them.

20 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

Ok so as someone who actually installs systems like this for a living let me help out a bit. The Boyo frame is useless and annoying, camera is fine but the monitoring sucks, dont bother. The brandmotion system is the only one on your list I have installed but can confirm that if you take your time and be careful when mounting your sensors it works exceptionally well. I know its the most expensive but when dealing with systems like this the lower priced ones tend to go off more randomly and that just makes people start to ignore them.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate this insight.

I came to the conclusion to re-think my future car plans and maybe plan to buy a new car in 1-2 years. There are other reasons for a new car. That and the fact that OEM systems seem to be in the mirrors (which seems to be the best position) makes me think it may not be worth investing so much in my car. But I may change my mind on this. I'm still curious if someone has experience with the other system son my list. if nothing else, I think we learned something here. 

At least I now know the license plate system is out and i can focus on a separate camera upgrade independent on radar. Yes the Boyo system sounds to be a good value and easier to install.. but if something sounds to good to be true, it often is. it looks like the corner systems at least have a chance to "see" a car next to me. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro