Gpu Watts requirement 850, but I only have 650w

O_Bsnacks
Go to solution Solved by IkeaGnome,
2 minutes ago, O_Bsnacks said:

The reason it doesn’t fit is because I have a liquid cooler and the tubing gets in the way. I have a Corsair 275R (It’s a bad case, need a new one)

Assuming you're using a 280mm or 360mm aio and can't top mount your AIO, if the 319 doesn't fit it doesn't fit. Would 20mm make the difference though? It's a lot less of a difference than you might think. If you're America, it's about 3/4 inch. A person could use a piece of cardboard, make it the length of the red devil and make sure tubes would clear before you went through the process of returning the gpu for another that might not fit still. If the 20mm isn't enough of a difference then you know you need a much shorter card, new case, or different AIO with longer tubes. 

Hi, so I know I already posted a topic on whether a 650w psu will be enough for the rx 6800 xt xfx 319 merc and everybody said I should be fine. But I deciced to trade that card in due to it being too long and it also had coil whine. So, I saw on amazon that the red devil 6800xt was on sale for 600$ and I know that this is overall a better card so I bought it (it still has not yet come). But I looked at the psu requirements and it says 850w and I only have 650w. 

PC Specs:

Gpu: Soon to be the Red Devil 6800 xt 

Cpu: Ryzen 5 5600x w/ stock cooler

Ram:2x8gb ddr4 ram 

Motherboard: asus strix rog b550-f

Psu: seasonic focus 650w gm 

HDD: 1

SSd:1

M.2:1

Honestly, I'd look into cancelling that order before it's sent ASAP and waiting for the 3rd of next month I think - for the RX 7700 XT. It will require a 695W PSU from what I've been seeing IIRC, and will likely edge that card out on several areas. Including price.

6 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Honestly, I'd look into cancelling that order before it's sent ASAP and waiting for the 3rd of next month I think - for the RX 7700 XT. It will require a 695W PSU from what I've been seeing IIRC, and will likely edge that card out on several areas. Including price.

That's just rumor so far.

The best GPU you can have, is the best GPU you can buy.

6 minutes ago, Motifator said:

So, basically my psu isnt enough and I should wait for a better card that requires less power?

1 minute ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

That's just rumor so far.

The best GPU you can have, is the best GPU you can buy.

That makes no sense whatsoever, if there's a better GPU out tomorrow, yours is obsolete in comparison when that one is out.

1 minute ago, O_Bsnacks said:

So, basically my psu isnt enough and I should wait for a better card that requires less power?

It will cut it likely, Focus units have tidbits with transient loads, but I'd still look into new Navi. 7900 is said to double 6900 and the 7700 might as well perform much better with FSR 2.0.

1 minute ago, Motifator said:

That makes no sense whatsoever, if there's a better GPU out tomorrow, yours is obsolete in comparison when that one is out.

It will cut it likely, Focus units have tidbits with transient loads, but I'd still look into new Navi. 7900 is said to double 6900 and the 7700 might as well perform much better with FSR 2.0.

Well, I think it’s too late to cancel the order. I mean if I use what’s the worse that will happen my pc shuts down.

5 minutes ago, O_Bsnacks said:

and it also had coil whine

The Red Devil will be just as bad. The reason 6800 XTs in general whine is that they have a very mediocre input filer, so the input inductors are under a ton of stress and therefore whine like crazy. There are a couple that were redesigned and should be better (the MSI and ASRock cards, for instance), but that Red Devil is not one of them (it's a reference PCB with some more power stages on it).

10 minutes ago, O_Bsnacks said:

I know that this is overall a better card so I bought it

Nope, they're both about equal. The Red Devil might have a slightly better cooler, but the coolers on 6800/6900 series cards are all pretty equal outside of the reference card.

If you can keep the Merc319 you currently have, do it, the red devil is overall just a side grade. All you're doing is saving 20mm of card length, which realistically if your case can't fit the Merc, it can't fit the Red Devil (not really aware of any cases that fit a 320mm card that don't fit a 340mm card). 

1 minute ago, O_Bsnacks said:

Well, I think it’s too late to cancel the order. I mean if I use what’s the worse that will happen my pc shuts down.

You can always buy a bigger boy PSU I guess... but I'd say it should be fine with a 5600X. Worst fan might work more aggressively on the PSU.

12 minutes ago, O_Bsnacks said:

Hi, so I know I already posted a topic on whether a 650w psu will be enough for the rx 6800 xt xfx 319 merc and everybody said I should be fine. But I deciced to trade that card in due to it being too long and it also had coil whine. So, I saw on amazon that the red devil 6800xt was on sale for 600$ and I know that this is overall a better card so I bought it (it still has not yet come). But I looked at the psu requirements and it says 850w and I only have 650w. 

PC Specs:

Gpu: Soon to be the Red Devil 6800 xt 

Cpu: Ryzen 5 5600x w/ stock cooler

Ram:2x8gb ddr4 ram 

Motherboard: asus strix rog b550-f

HDD: 1

SSd:1

M.2:1

High Estimate

PC Specs:

300W Gpu: Soon to be the Red Devil 6800 xt 

65W Cpu: Ryzen 5 5600x w/ stock cooler

6W Ram:2x8gb ddr4 ram 

100 (way over estimated) Motherboard: asus strix rog b550-f

15W HDD: 1

10W SSd:1

10W M.2:1

506W *1.25 (headroom) - 632W

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

Just now, ewitte said:

High Estimate

PC Specs:

300W Gpu: Soon to be the Red Devil 6800 xt 

65W Cpu: Ryzen 5 5600x w/ stock cooler

6W Ram:2x8gb ddr4 ram 

100 (way over estimated) Motherboard: asus strix rog b550-f

15W HDD: 1

10W SSd:1

10W M.2:1

506W *1.25 (headroom) - 632W

That's not how things work. A basic motherboard like that does not pull 100W, and you don't add up everything on top of each other tops.

HDDs pull the most power when they're spinning up, this is why you have staggered spin-up on server HW. SSDs also need to get up to peak load, and they won't consume that much power either...

you need some nonsensical load of programs taxing each and every component to pull 500W with that PC, in the configuration you spoke about.

11 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The Red Devil will be just as bad. The reason 6800 XTs in general whine is that they have a very mediocre input filer, so the input inductors are under a ton of stress and therefore whine like crazy. There are a couple that were redesigned and should be better (the MSI and ASRock cards, for instance), but that Red Devil is not one of them (it's a reference PCB with some more power stages on it).

Nope, they're both about equal. The Red Devil might have a slightly better cooler, but the coolers on 6800/6900 series cards are all pretty equal outside of the reference card.

If you can keep the Merc319 you currently have, do it, the red devil is overall just a side grade. All you're doing is saving 20mm of card length, which realistically if your case can't fit the Merc, it can't fit the Red Devil (not really aware of any cases that fit a 320mm card that don't fit a 340mm card). 

Well I already returned the merc319. I won’t be able to get a bigger psu until Christmas because Im broke at the moment, so if my system will be ok until Christmas then why return the card.

47 minutes ago, Motifator said:

obsolete in comparison

no, it's just not as good as the newer, more expense harder to get one.

Waiting is pretty much pointless.

Every part of my computer is at-least 3 years old. and it is entirely not obsolete.

Are transient load spikes a thing to worry about now?

Just now, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

no, it's just not as good as the newer, more expense harder to get one.

Waiting is pretty much pointless.

Every part of my computer is at-least 3 years old. and it is entirely not obsolete.

Are transient load spikes a thing to worry about now?

Expense here is not exactly true as the saying is telling the new cards will start from upwards of $350-400, they might be scalped though. There is point in waiting for them given the node and the DP 2.0 support, etc. You can't compare 3+ year old parts with 5 nm Navi stuff.

Transient load spikes have been a thing to worry about for long, especially on OP's PSU now.

Just now, Motifator said:

cards will start from upwards of $350-400

and you are absolutely sure of this rumor

Just now, Motifator said:

You can't compare 3+ year old parts with 5 nm Navi stuff

you can and you should. You don't need to upgrade from, say, an RX 580 if you only play CS:GO, rocket league, and such on a 1080p monitor.

1 minute ago, Motifator said:

You can't compare 3+ year old parts with 5 nm Navi stuff.

Yes you can. You can even compare a 4090 to a Vega 64 pretty easily.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-geforce-rtx-4090-strix-oc/39.html

Power consumption at V sync frame locks. Pretty level playing field if you ask me. 

The 7800 xt coming out isn't going to magically make my 6800 xt a shit card. You're looking at this way too acutely. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

and you are absolutely sure of this rumor

you can and you should. You don't need to upgrade from, say, an RX 580 if you only play CS:GO, rocket league, and such on a 1080p monitor.

...and you're saying this to a guy who's swapping 6800 XT's, yeah ok.

Just now, IkeaGnome said:

Yes you can. You can even compare a 4090 to a Vega 64 pretty easily.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-geforce-rtx-4090-strix-oc/39.html

Power consumption at V sync frame locks. Pretty level playing field if you ask me. 

The 7800 xt coming out isn't going to magically make my 6800 xt a shit card. You're looking at this way too acutely. 

What even is this garbage argument, by can't compare, I meant no comparison in performance. The new card will be so much more better, as if you're running TWO Vega's in Crossfire at full blast on a supportive title. The V-Sync 60 Hz test makes your argument even poorer, who even plays at V-Sync on 60 Hz? That's why TPU kind of sucks. They should be doing VRR tests at 100 and 144, not V-Sync at 60. 

It might not make it shit, but it will render it "more obsolete". Second hand value will drop, etc. It's not just about raw performance.

3 minutes ago, Motifator said:

who even plays at V-Sync on 60 Hz?

me. I do. Tearing sucks and I have a 60 Hz monitor, why would I want 300fps if i have a 60 hz monitor?

4 minutes ago, Motifator said:

I meant no comparison in performance. The new card will be so much more better

I hate to break it to you, but all the performance uplift things in hardware marketing are misleading. In reality you probably won't notice the difference.

5 minutes ago, Motifator said:

It might not make it shit, but it will render it "more obsolete". Second hand value will drop, etc. It's not just about raw performance.

Monetary value doesn't make a GPU you already have better or worse.

I don't think "obsoleteness" is a quantitative value. And I don't think a new GPU makes an old one any worse.

If a new game comes out that requires better hardware, that would make an old GPU obsolete.

9 minutes ago, Motifator said:

The V-Sync 60 Hz test makes your argument even poorer, who even plays at V-Sync on 60 Hz?

I do in games I can't get a steady 240, or single player games where I want to just crank the settings up and not worry about tearing. I'd bet a lot more people play at 60hz than you think. About the only game I don't play at 240 is Overwatch. 

10 minutes ago, Motifator said:

If the performance stays the same, but price drops doesn't that make it a better deal from a cost per frame standpoint?

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

5 minutes ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

me. I do. Tearing sucks and I have a 60 Hz monitor, why would I want 300fps if i have a 60 hz monitor?

I hate to break it to you, but all the performance uplift things in hardware marketing are misleading. In reality you probably won't notice the difference.

Monetary value doesn't make a GPU you already have better or worse.

I don't think "obsoleteness" is a quantitative value. And I don't think a new GPU makes an old one any worse.

If a new game comes out that requires better hardware, that would make an old GPU obsolete.

It sells harder at a less value, so yeah, it's sort of true. You might be playing on 60 Hz, but you CAN use Fast or Enhanced Sync. V-Sync is shit and does nothing more than increasing input lag massively, so 180 FPS would help a lot to you if you turned on a method of fast syncing on that PC, aka doubling+.

This kind of hardware is meant to be matched with higher refresh panels, 60 Hz makes no sense with them.

"I do in games I can't get a steady 240, or single player games where I want to just crank the settings up and not worry about tearing. I'd bet a lot more people play at 60hz than you think. About the only game I don't play at 240 is Overwatch."

-snip-

This is why you have VRR, check your monitor in AMD Freesync list and read up on how FS works.

51 minutes ago, Motifator said:

This is why you have VRR, check your monitor in AMD Freesync list and read up on how FS works.

If you don't quote, I don't know you replied to me.

The reason I mentioned V sync while just locking my frames with in game limiters, and why they probably use Vsync is because then they'd either have to find ways to make FS work on older cards that might not support Freesync. Using the same technology across the board makes it apples to apples.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

16 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

The reason I mentioned V sync while just locking my frames with in game limiters, and why they probably use Vsync is because then they'd either have to find ways to make FS work on older cards that might not support Freesync. Using the same technology across the board makes it apples to apples.

They no longer test those cards though... in fact, 2 gens no longer. The oldest card on their suite *has* FS, or even the one suite older one does. FS came out around 2014.

39 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

So, now that the arguing is over, What should I do?

For your information, I am running a 750W PSU to power a 5600X, an RX 6800, an AIO, and 8 case fans. So far I have had tons of headroom, then again, I think this setup is overkill for 1080p. I have yet to see my RX 6800 go above 63C while gaming.

Case: Lian Li O11-dynamic mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX6800 | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550 E-Gaming | Memory: 32Gb 3600Mhz G. SKILL Trident Z | PSU: Corsair SF750 Platinum | Cooling: Lian Li Galahad AIO 240 | Case fans: Lian Li Unifans

3 minutes ago, O_Bsnacks said:

So, now that the arguing is over, What should I do?

If the 319 is too long to fit in your case, but the red devil will, it would make sense to go with the red devil. There's only 20mm difference though. 

What case are you trying to fit this into?

AMD didn't have nearly as bad of transient spikes as Nvidia, and Nvidias were even largely solved with drivers (465.55). That PSU is tier A. I run my 6800 xt off a tier A SFF 600W Corsair with a 12900k. I'd be comfortable running your set up on the 650W. Worst case, you get shut downs and know you need the 850W. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?