Apple unveils new iPad 10th generation with price hike, M2 iPad Pros, and new Apple TV 4K

AlTech
14 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Why not make it system-wide just like in the Mac? Why does the app dev have to do all the work of making the cursor an arrow instead of the stupid and imprecise circle?

Why do you need a system-wide precise pointer on an iPad?

Logic is such - you need it in specific instances/apps, so it should be implemented only there. When you need to edit text - round-pointer (touch) transforms into an I-cursor when in the editing area. When you want to click a button, the pointer transforms to outline the shape of a button. When scrubbing a timeline the pointer is not dragged - scrolling is used... etc

On 10/18/2022 at 12:41 PM, porina said:

I'm playing spot the difference between the new iPad and the current Air model. The only thing of note to me is A14 vs M1, so wouldn't the Air be a generally better buy assuming similar pricing? 

Edit: ok, I didn't realise the pricing of the Air has shot up recently. New iPad starts £499 and the current Air starts £669. Even a few months ago I'm sure it was closer to 500.

Edit 2: Air was £570 in June.

There's also the 120hz screen on the pro models, which is a huge plus. The prices are crap though. Nothing changed from what you had last year. M1 vs M2 = same on iPadOS. Not even the redesign came through. I guess most Apple consumers don't really know or care for what they get once shopping for iPads.

10 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

There's also the 120hz screen on the pro models, which is a huge plus. The prices are crap though. Nothing changed from what you had last year. M1 vs M2 = same on iPadOS. Not even the redesign came through. I guess most Apple consumers don't really know or care for what they get once shopping for iPads.

M2 is faster than M1 and for some iPadPro users this is meaningful, there are apps out there were on the Curren tipadpro you might be sitting around for 5+ minutes whirling for it to process. I have experience of high res 3d scanning if you do on device texturing of that scan and what a high quiallyt output these apps take a good amount of time when you scan a room, rock face etc.  I expect the M2 will be unto 15% faster that means you will be able to do quite a few more scans in the same time as after each scan you need to wait for it to process all the images to generate the high poly mesh and textures (yes you get a low quietly preview live while scanning but the high quality one takes time after).

There are other use-cases that also push the M1 chip to its Macs. iPadOS does not limit the ability for an app to use the full chip, in fact apps that existing on iPadOS and macOS tend to run unto 5% faster on the iPad as there is much less background system utilisation getting in the way.  

The limitations of iPadOS come if your doing multi tasking, but even on a Mac most of the time were your doing multi tasking your not pegging the cpu or GPU for extend times.  In fact if you look at the categories of apps that fully peg your system they resist the same as those that peg a PC, be that gaming, video editing, image editing etc all of these also existing on iPadOS and on that platform they make full use of the chip. 

If you're looking for a powerful portable device the iPadPro is a very good option if your software runs on it, any laptop that fits within the weight and size of the iPad is way less powerful and has a fraction of the battery life.  

Updating the iPadPro to the new chip is a good thing it keeps it updated, do remember that users tend to keep iPads in use for well over 7 years so people looking at buying the M2 iPad Pro that are upgrading are coming from a 5 to 7 year old device not from the M1 iPad Pro!  While the `I hate apple camp` like to think that all apple users upgrade to the latest shiny product that is in fact quite the opposite most apple users upgrade less frequently than PC tec-enthusits, I would bet very very few M2 iPads are sold as upgrades to exiting M1 iPad Pro users and apple has no issue with that has they have millions upon millions of people with older 2019 and 2018 or even 2015 generation iPads that apple can convince to upgrade. Apple relay does not need people to upgrade every year they have more than enough consumers that it works very well for them if users upgrade every 5+ years this way users are much more willing to spend a primume as they look at a device and consider how long it will last for them. Users that do upgrade more frequently tend to re-sell the old devices for a reusable re-sale value as well. 

1 hour ago, Obioban said:

A better question may be, why not move the iPad to M2.

It doesn't need that much power, especially since if they did that, they will increase the price more than they already have.

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

57 minutes ago, Lightwreather JfromN said:

It doesn't need that much power, especially since if they did that, they will increase the price more than they already have.

I doubt Apple's cost on the M2 is any different than the M1 is at launch/now. Price increases are almost certainly the result of inflation, exchange rates, and supply chain issues-- aka, would have also happened if they stuck with the M1.

Historically, iPad processor upgrades did not result in price changes-- so I see no reason to think it's responsible now.

17 hours ago, hishnash said:

M2 is faster than M1 and for some iPadPro users this is meaningful, there are apps out there were on the Curren tipadpro you might be sitting around for 5+ minutes whirling for it to process. I have experience of high res 3d scanning if you do on device texturing of that scan and what a high quiallyt output these apps take a good amount of time when you scan a room, rock face etc.  I expect the M2 will be unto 15% faster that means you will be able to do quite a few more scans in the same time as after each scan you need to wait for it to process all the images to generate the high poly mesh and textures (yes you get a low quietly preview live while scanning but the high quality one takes time after).

There are other use-cases that also push the M1 chip to its Macs. iPadOS does not limit the ability for an app to use the full chip, in fact apps that existing on iPadOS and macOS tend to run unto 5% faster on the iPad as there is much less background system utilisation getting in the way.  

The limitations of iPadOS come if your doing multi tasking, but even on a Mac most of the time were your doing multi tasking your not pegging the cpu or GPU for extend times.  In fact if you look at the categories of apps that fully peg your system they resist the same as those that peg a PC, be that gaming, video editing, image editing etc all of these also existing on iPadOS and on that platform they make full use of the chip. 

If you're looking for a powerful portable device the iPadPro is a very good option if your software runs on it, any laptop that fits within the weight and size of the iPad is way less powerful and has a fraction of the battery life.  

Updating the iPadPro to the new chip is a good thing it keeps it updated, do remember that users tend to keep iPads in use for well over 7 years so people looking at buying the M2 iPad Pro that are upgrading are coming from a 5 to 7 year old device not from the M1 iPad Pro!  While the `I hate apple camp` like to think that all apple users upgrade to the latest shiny product that is in fact quite the opposite most apple users upgrade less frequently than PC tec-enthusits, I would bet very very few M2 iPads are sold as upgrades to exiting M1 iPad Pro users and apple has no issue with that has they have millions upon millions of people with older 2019 and 2018 or even 2015 generation iPads that apple can convince to upgrade. Apple relay does not need people to upgrade every year they have more than enough consumers that it works very well for them if users upgrade every 5+ years this way users are much more willing to spend a primume as they look at a device and consider how long it will last for them. Users that do upgrade more frequently tend to re-sell the old devices for a reusable re-sale value as well. 

I get your point, but you're still talking about the minority here. For the vast majority, Apple hasn't innovated the iPad Pro's capability in a meaningful way since the redesign of the current iteration of the iPad Pro. A new design would also potentially mean less bent iPads, which would be a huge plus. 

4 hours ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

I get your point, but you're still talking about the minority here. For the vast majority, Apple hasn't innovated the iPad Pro's capability in a meaningful way since the redesign of the current iteration of the iPad Pro. A new design would also potentially mean less bent iPads, which would be a huge plus. 

Majority of customers are targeted with Air and base models, with the Pro line being more like a 'luxury' upgrade, so it doesn't matter as much.

The 10th gen 10.9" iPad will flop badly because of its poor value proposition

Web capture_22-10-2022_114833_www.apple.com.jpeg

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Too expensive in Italy

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

The 10th gen 10.9" iPad will flop badly because of its poor value proposition

Web capture_22-10-2022_114833_www.apple.com.jpeg

And yet it will sell like hotcakes, maybe, probably

1 hour ago, rikitikitavi said:

I doubt it. The price is quite off putting to people.

The thing people liked about the base model iPad, among other things, was how cheap it was.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

11 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I doubt it. The price is quite off putting to people.

The thing people liked about the base model iPad, among other things, was how cheap it was.

Sure a price tag is a big selling point, however, a bigger screen will get the customers even at extra cost.

Air is still more expensive, with features that not many need; iPad 9th design feels dated with smaller screen; usbC;

While the pencil/kb value is questionable, not everyone cares.

15 hours ago, rikitikitavi said:

I'll believe it when I see it

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside