Simple question, can I join the LTT team who makes the website?

BotDamian

I want to practicipate at something that is fun, I like programming and computers.

No idea who I should talk to about it so here I am writing this thread...

Intel NUC 13 | i3 1315U2x 8GB 3600/CL16

AMD 7950x3d | Sapphire 7800XT Nitro | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance 5600Mhz CL36 1R | MSI B650-P Pro Wifi | Custom Loop

AUNE X8 Magic DAC + SS3602

AUNE X7s PRO Class-A | Sennheiser HD58X

Schiit Rekkr ELAC BS243.3

There's many websites in LMG's portfolio. Off the top of my head: linustechtips.com, linusmediagroup.com, floatplane.com, lttstore.com... Probably missing something too. There's work ongoing on the new labs website.

Depending on which site you're talking about, you're talking about different teams. However, all jobs are listed on https://linusmediagroup.com/jobs

Remember though, working at LMG is still working. While everything seems fun-and-games on-camera, be ready to work your ass off 😉

Good luck.

Edit: ltxexpo.com

Do you have education in the position?
Do you live in Canada?
Are you at least 15, more reasonably 18?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 10/18/2022 at 12:49 AM, MG2R said:

There's many websites in LMG's portfolio. Off the top of my head: linustechtips.com, linusmediagroup.com, floatplane.com, lttstore.com... Probably missing something too. There's work ongoing on the new labs website.

Depending on which site you're talking about, you're talking about different teams. However, all jobs are listed on https://linusmediagroup.com/jobs

Remember though, working at LMG is still working. While everything seems fun-and-games on-camera, be ready to work your ass off 😉

Good luck.

Edit: ltxexpo.com

Work your ass off, how is that different from what I'm doing now? 😄

AMD 7950x3d | Sapphire 7800XT Nitro | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance 5600Mhz CL36 1R | MSI B650-P Pro Wifi | Custom Loop

On 10/18/2022 at 1:35 AM, dizmo said:

Do you have education in the position?

No, I think that the days where School and papers mattered are long gone. As of the day and age of "THE INTERNET" you can learn anything you want, except of course becoming a doctor and such things. But anything Tech related can be learned via "THE INTERNET", I think 9 years of programming is enough of an education.

Do you live in Canada?

Germany 😄

Are you at least 15, more reasonably 18?

15 + 18 = 33 - 5 = 28 Quick Maths

On 10/22/2022 at 3:22 PM, BotDamian said:

except of course becoming a doctor and such things

you can also self teach yourself medical knowleage but no way will you be able to legally pratice medicine without proper schooling. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, wasab said:

you can also self teach yourself medical knowleage but no way will you be able to legally pratice medicine without proper schooling. 

And even if there's no legal barrier to working as a developer without formal education, most companies still want some form of "proof" that you're qualified for the position before they even consider inviting you for an interview.

If you've got enough applicants to choose from, why waste time interviewing someone where you have no clue whether they're even remotely qualified? There are likely tons of available developers with a formal education and publicly available work (e.g. GitHub) where an employer has at least some idea what they're capable of before inviting them.

So if you do apply, at the very least you want to have something to show off your knowledge and skill in web development and related technologies. E.g. this is a website I developed. these are the technologies and frameworks I used and so on.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

47 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

So if you do apply, at the very least you want to have something to show off your knowledge and skill in web development and related technologies. E.g. this is a website I developed. these are the technologies and frameworks I used and so on.

thats true, self taught developers can get a job without any credentials except a show of their portfolios and past work.

Reasons health care is regulated as oppose to IT is simply due to public safety. You wont killed someone by scewing up a none critical piece of software but you will definitely seriously harm if not outright kill a person through medical malpractice. This applies to anything that may jeopardizes the public safety. You will definitly see similar regulation for like say civil engineers who are contracted by the government to design public bridges or airline pilots flying a boeing for example. Heck, even mortorised verhicled drivers is regulated. You need driver license for that. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 10/22/2022 at 10:22 PM, BotDamian said:

No, I think that the days where School and papers mattered are long gone. As of the day and age of "THE INTERNET" you can learn anything you want, except of course becoming a doctor and such things. But anything Tech related can be learned via "THE INTERNET", I think 9 years of programming is enough of an education.

Germany 😄

15 + 18 = 33 - 5 = 28 Quick Maths

If you are interested in developing and/or running the forum, PM @colonel_mortis

Though I recommend dropping a bit from the attitude. Being snarky may be fine when you are the one choosing customers, but not when you want to be part of the team.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 10/25/2022 at 1:07 PM, LogicalDrm said:

If you are interested in developing and/or running the forum, PM @colonel_mortis

Though I recommend dropping a bit from the attitude. Being snarky may be fine when you are the one choosing customers, but not when you want to be part of the team.

I'm actually a pretty calm person and I don't really have a bad attitude. If little fun is bad in a company then I don't want to work for that company actually. I'm building my own SSG framework that outputs HTML with SPA functionality, PWA will come later. I also work on a minifier that will actually minify all the things. I know what I'm capable of and I'm not loosing anything by not joining a team (if the team isn't cool), I don't really care how much money I earn, I value output of my work more than how much I earn.
I also was more into working on the LAB page than the forum, not really interested in making a forum.

TLDR

If someone thinks I have a big ego or showing some attitude, then it be like that. Most things I do in life are for free, because I simply don't care about printed paper, rather seeing something I do is helpful to others.

I'm also not directing this to you as a mod, just saying out loud my opinion, not even specifically LTT etc.