Upgrading from GTX 1080 to RTX 4080?

I'm currently running a 8gb GTX 1080. Its a great card for gaming at 1440p and I'm very happy with it. Besides gaming, I'm also a graduate architecture student so productivity is also important to me. I've been wating to get into 4k gaming a ray tracing. As for productivity, quicker renders in vray would be great. I'm also looking to mess around with machine learning and image generation. 

Would an upgrade to the 4080 be a good idea- assuming i can get one at msrp? Or would a 2nd-hand 3080 be more bang for buck?

No, if you look at benchmarks a 3080ti or 3090ti would be the ticket. I only bought my 4090 because im a snob lol. Ill buy the 4090ti when it drops also; usually I hook my little brother up when the TI cards drop haha

No. 4080 is a pretty hefty waste of money for both the 900$ and 1200$ one. Also do note, 4k Gaming monitors are pretty pricey still. Even the "barebones" ones are around 600-900$ and they do vary on quality quite a bit. 

If your coming from a 1080 it would be a MASSIVE improvement for performance, but i would honestly say see what you play and what you may enjoy and then make that choice.

Overall this gen so far is just Way too expensive for a honest recommendation 

2 minutes ago, swabro said:

price to performance is not justifiable instead u should wait a little longer for the 4070 and on top of that ur cpu may be a bottleneck I am assuming with gpu u have now? 

Thanks for the comment! I might have to upgrade my mother board and cpu. Currently have an i7 8700k

1 minute ago, bill_windowz said:

Thanks for the comment! I might have to upgrade my mother board and cpu. Currently have an i7 8700k

that cpu may be a be a bottleneck but if u are feeling adventurous and want to save a buck u may be able to overclock it a bit and it should be good enough but I highly don't recommend it

I'll always, always recommend going used. Always.

If you have to go new, you can still get 3090s and 3090Ti's for pretty "reasonable" prices.

Welcome to the forum.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

The better option however would be to go for a 3080ti or 3080 depending if u want to spend a bit more as the 3000 series are not covered by the 4000 series yet as they still have amazing performance and price to performance another option also is to wait for amd to release the 7000 series and save the day as there prices for current gpus are pretty completive, sure Nvidia is generally better in storymode games but u are only scarifying like 10fps which u can barely tell the difference  

3 hours ago, offweek said:

A770 for 'off the shelf' AI compute is proving to be an absolute beast/belle.

What processing do you need for architecture?  CATIA/Solidworks will run on a potatoe. What monitor are you planning to do your 4K gaming on?

Hi! Are the intel gpus good for gaming too? I guess ai computation is the last on my list of features I want. Specifically, I have been working with GANs for image generation with Keras on Tensorflow.

For architecture, I mainly work in Rhino which is cpu bound. I'm looking for faster rendering in Vray and Enscape. For the monitor I'm looking at the LG27GP950-B. I'll also be gaming in my 4k tv. Does it make more sense to go for a 32" for 4k? Also, I do need a color accurate monitor for post-processing renders.

Any suggestions would be great!

Edited by bill_windowz

23 hours ago, dizmo said:

I'll always, always recommend going used. Always.

If you have to go new, you can still get 3090s and 3090Ti's for pretty "reasonable" prices.

Welcome to the forum.

Used is the move, you can easily get 3080 for $500

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

On 10/14/2022 at 3:45 PM, swabro said:

price to performance is not justifiable instead u should wait a little longer for the 4070 and on top of that ur cpu may be a bottleneck I am assuming with gpu u have now? 

the 12 gig 4080 is basically a 4070 just branded as a 4080. Look at the specs. Huge difference in cuda cores.

Edit: NVM just realised it got cancelled.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

4 hours ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

Used is the move, you can easily get 3080 for $500

That is sadly not true for alot of regions. Here in Germany used market is pretty pricey just a few € less than a brand new one which is kinda sad.

just wait for amd to release and see what happens than if u however really wanted a upgrade right just get A770 as its ai computation has all the bells and whistles u need