Good or bad to leave the side off of the case?

RhysMusique

I was just wondering, is it good or bad for your PC to leave the side off when it's running, 

Cooler air comes in all the time, but then again there's no direct flow through the case now.... Hmmmm... Discussion time

CURRENT: intel i9-10900K ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero ROG Strix RTX 3090 32GB 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RM1000i Lian Li O11-Dynamic

OFFICE: intel i5-3570K ASUS Z77 mITX EVGA GTX 970 SC 16GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP Silverstone SFX PSU Fractal Design Node 202

The possiblity of stuff getting into it is greater but I wouldn't have thought it would be bad, if anything it won't be recommended lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

If you're careful nothing bad will happen, but it'll get dusty.

Watch out for dust and spills. That's about it.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

My PC right now... In the middle of a major re-think about my fan situation

post-52255-0-55643800-1398804716_thumb.j

CURRENT: intel i9-10900K ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero ROG Strix RTX 3090 32GB 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RM1000i Lian Li O11-Dynamic

OFFICE: intel i5-3570K ASUS Z77 mITX EVGA GTX 970 SC 16GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP Silverstone SFX PSU Fractal Design Node 202

It shouldn't be a problem and also dust won't harm anything, just make sure your temperatures are fine. My Cooler Master 335U Elite is like a damn vacuum cleaner, it gathers dust inside to really stupid levels so I have to keep on top of it.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

A non issue, but clean it before you seal it back up 'cos dust gonna be settling in there.

Bad for dust good for open air cooling

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Its bad in the presence of flying USB thumb drives :P

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

My custom PC which is a Thermaltake Overseer RX-I which is made for airflow, and I even added another 200mm blued LED fan on top, took the 120mm on the back and put it on the bottom and the back is my Corsair H60.

My 3 year old Dell however, only has 1 rear fan and air cooled so the side is off.

Umm not wise unless you cant avoid it.

There's a few reasons I wouldn't do it. 

-The risk; no matter how small, that something might end up falling into the interior of my case and do some damage.

-Increased dust build up. it might be easy to access the interior to clean it, but it's more cleaning to do and I'm lazy.

-cases are designed to have their side panels on. removing the side panel can allow the case to flex, then bad things might happen.

Airflow is generally very tightly engineered and relies on the case sides to get the correct flow pattern so removing the side panel MAY give you less cooling effect than leaving it on. [1]

Case sides also cut down on the amount of RF transmitted so will reduce possible interference. 

To combat these and the (no matter how careful you are) risk of things ending up within the case I would allways run the system with the sides on. 

However will probably do no damage, especially in the short term, so don't get to uptight about it.

[1] A long time ago I had a shroud over the processor (back in the BTX was popular days) so if the side wasn't on air would have been sucked from the side erather than over the processor

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"