The God of Computer Fans

AlexTheGreatish

To answer the question of "What are these fans even for?"

It is just a fan.

In industry fans are just a thing, a component like anything else.

So if one has something that needs airflow, one buys a suitable fan with the correct voltage, dimensions, mounting, and airflow/pressure required by the application. Often one ends up designing the enclosure to the fan, but the other way around is also common.

So in short, it is just another fan.

And it isn't even particularly big as far as industry is concerned.

There is far bigger off the shelf fans available that makes these 500 L/s fans seem tiny.

10 minutes ago, Nvidix said:

Does anyone know what Case that is?

Looks like a Fractal Design Torrent. 

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/torrent/torrent/black-rgb-tg-light-tint/

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Now we need Linus to stuff said PC with more of those fans. getting multiple 7000RP aluminum delta fans to cool said PC

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

they should just go all in and try this setup with no heatsink on the CPU at all, see if the CPU survives

I found a use for those. Commercial grade juicers. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Being Delta Electronic's most powerful fan we had to try the THD2048HT - aka Blowzooka - out.

For the record I was working with some super cheap fans the other week, and the LEDs were turning on when we threw a leaf blower at it.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

in all honesty, this is the most stupid thing i have seen in a long time in terms of work safety. Why wouldn't you cut a fan grill on your laser cutter? one wrong move and your finger is gone. And linus pointed several times at things right in the same direction where the fan was standing. it's not like anyone ever has never hit their fingers on the table when pulling it up from below. 

Jesus and why do you use a buck converter when you all got that glorious lab equipment for several hundretthousend dollars? Were you even using it within its currentlimits? with wires on 100°C, i kinda doubt it, but who knows with that cheap shit nowaydays 

edit oh nevermind the wires were your own. for fucks sake. You hired electrical engineers. Use them 

3 minutes ago, RingaDingDingDong said:

in all honesty, this is the most stupid thing i have seen in a long time in terms of work safety. Why wouldn't you cut a fan grill on your laser cutter? one wrong move and your finger is gone. And linus pointed several times at things right in the same direction where the fan was standing. it's not like anyone ever has never hit their fingers on the table when pulling it up from below. 

Jesus and why do you use a buck converter when you all got that glorious lab equipment for several hundretthousend dollars? Were you even using it within its currentlimits? with wires on 100°C, i kinda doubt it, but who knows with that cheap shit nowaydays 

edit oh nevermind the wires were your own. for fucks sake. You hired electrical engineers. Use them 

I can agree on the fan grill being a wise idea to have. Mistakes can happen far more trivially than one can realize at times.

But the PSU testing equipment are electronic loads, not power supplies. They can't output power, only take it in.
Therefore they needed to make a power supply able to supply the necessary voltage.

Using a boost converter like they did is fine, and honestly how a lot of stuff gets done in industry too. But yes, they should have used a bit thicker wiring.

What model of smaller fan did they reference in the video that was 55 dollars?

Yeah, definitely deploy this in all your editing workstations - because you guys aren't tone deaf and crazy enough 🤣

My system is about as overkill as you can get for actual PC fan numbers - I have 30 fans, all running, and yet I can have a totally normal conversation next to the rig. 31 if you include the PSU fan too. They are mounted on five chunky 80mm rads in push/pull, four of them serve just as case exhaust/intake while four more custom order 50mm PWM Deltas do RAM cooling duty. I'm using Swiftech's 8-way PWM splitters for control so ONLY FOUR fan headers on my motherboard are needed to make the whole thing work. As a final touch I set up a HWinfo desktop gadget for real-time temperature monitoring with all my fan speeds 😎

And no, my side panels don't get blown off 😉

TheShelby3point0.jpg

TheShelby3point02.jpg

Shelby cooling.PNG

That thing sounds like Norm Abram's table saw when it's going.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

They also have a 12CM version 

pfr120x120x38mm_1.png

https://www.delta-fan.com/pfr1212dhe-sp00.html

44Watts though so it's going to kill your motherboard.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

those fans are commonly used on VFDs, variable frequency drives. mainly big ones with integrated brake resistors.
That and electrical cabinets which need a ton of air volume for some stupid reason.

also tell Linus to quit being a baby, I have one of that exact boost converter that I use to run a 65v LED and I commonly have to demonstrate it's safety by rubbing my hand all over it including the output terminals. 
You are also very out of spec with 24v input at the wattage of two fans. you should be at 48v in or using one for each fan. they are only 1500w near the top of their voltage input rating, which I think is 60

9 hours ago, Nystemy said:

To answer the question of "What are these fans even for?"

It is just a fan.

In industry fans are just a thing, a component like anything else.

So if one has something that needs airflow, one buys a suitable fan with the correct voltage, dimensions, mounting, and airflow/pressure required by the application. Often one ends up designing the enclosure to the fan, but the other way around is also common.

So in short, it is just another fan.

And it isn't even particularly big as far as industry is concerned.

There is far bigger off the shelf fans available that makes these 500 L/s fans seem tiny.

Shere can I purchase a fan with a higher L/S with a semi standard hole spacing?

9 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Being Delta Electronic's most powerful fan we had to try the THD2048HT - aka Blowzooka - out.

I thought I had a good fan but no. I am so disappointed with my rig now.

This is a video of my computer under light load.

Why not use an Electric Ducted Fan motor kit intended for RC Jet aircraft?

"Ducted Fan EDF Schubeler DS-86-AXI HDS 120mm"

https://www.turbines-rc.com/en/schubeler/1275-ducted-fan-edf-schubeler-ds-86-axi-hds-120mm-het-800-60-830-motor.html

With the right controller, it might even sound like a jet engine spooling up. I wonder what Linus will think.

2 minutes ago, neuropilot said:

https://www.turbines-rc.com/en/schubeler/1275-ducted-fan-edf-schubeler-ds-86-axi-hds-120mm-het-800-60-830-motor.html

With the right controller, it might even sound like a jet engine spooling up. I wonder what Linus will thing.

Agree

3 hours ago, neuropilot said:

With the right controller, it might even sound like a jet engine spooling up. I wonder what Linus will think.

37V @ 100A....  IDK what they could even fuckin' power that with....a dedicated 220V circuit in the workshop stepped down?

8 hours ago, tkitch said:

37V @ 100A....  IDK what they could even fuckin' power that with....a dedicated 220V circuit in the workshop stepped down?

thats a bit over 15 amps at 240v. I'm certain they have accommodations for such small 240v loads. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T