How does one get friends?

Butterfish, on 29 Apr 2014 - 12:03 AM, said:

How are you as a person? Both inside and outside. If you're the "stereotype gamer" who doesn't care about his looks and hygiene, it will definitely scare people away. I'm not the one judging nor do i mean to be offensive in any way. Just making a point. If that is not the case, maybe you should seek the social life a bit more? Find a hobby and go meet some people. Don't have too high expectations when finding new friends. It's very unlikely that the first people you start chatting with will be your best friend(s). It takes time. :)

TIL im not a stereotypical gamer.

Yeah its a little too much to expect today. Out of those I would consider the shares some things in common and sometimes communicates with you to be acquaintance worthy and to be a friend to include sometimes spends time with you. The other ones are really only for family and *very* close friends.

IMO a friend is a person who can be relied on, and contacted at (almost) any time, shares a few things in common, doesn't act like an asshole, communicates with friends often... Is that too much today?

I'm not rich, even though I have a 590...

Too expensive. Students' budgets aren't high, obviously. And definitely not my budget...

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

OK, so after reading some of the comments, they just say "Be someone else" But that isn't ideal. These are the steps for getting friends, which works every time if you follow the manual:

1. Meet people. If you are in school or you work in a social place like an office, then this is really easy, just go up to someone on their break and ask the usual, like what they did on the weekend or something personal to them like how is their wife or spouse doing etc. If you are not part of such an institute, you could try going to a class or club like Zumba lessons or something. There, meet people and talk etc. It doesn't matter how mundane the thing is, and it doesn't have to be tech, but I'm sure you can talk about how ridiculous the Zumba instructor looks, right?
  2. Invite people out. This could be for drinks at a local bar or something like the cinema if you are too young. Drinks are the best way to get to know people, and you always find something to say with a pint or two down your gullet. If you are in school, the Cinema is perfect because they tend to be in the local shopping mall or centre. You could cay "Meet outside McDonald's at twelve o'clock" (everywhere has a McDonald's) Then, go and purchase your movie tickets and peruse some local shops. When you come out of the movie, say your goodbyes and end the afternoon with a smile. Make sure that hen you invite this person out that it isn't just you two going, there should be three people ideally and of course if you feel like making more friends, invite even more.
  3. Grab their digits. Text messaging is the de-facto way of communicating with people, in order to maintain friendships over longer periods of time, you might find it of use to talk to them, saying even the most basic questions, like "How was today for you?" and, of course, the classic of "wuu2?". When you are meeting up, it is always useful to have their numbers, in case of a change of plan.
  4. Ask them for favours. Favours are the key to friendship. If you ask someone to water your plants whilst you're on holiday or pass on a message to someone, the person will be more than happy to help. As well as this, they will think of you more, which means stronger friendship. Asking favours psychologically cons them into thinking higher of you.
  5. Don't be too friendly. Friendliness is great, you can be really nice to people, but if you are too nice, then people will be repulsed. Get some banter going about drunk stories or that time when they did that embarrassing thing. And of course, asking too many favours is always a bad thing and just causes bad times 100%.

Well, I hope that helped.

EDIT:

PS: Online isn't real, always have a life besides online. We aren't actually acquainted with you so don't pretend that we or anyone else on the internet is. The Internet is so fake. We don't see you, it is much more satisfying to have face to face friends.

Edited by tomlambert01

Compatible with Windows 95

Get to know people in your crowd. I didnt really have friends when I moved to my school. People always thought I was weird, socially awkward, to smart, but I started hanging out with people who like the same stuff I do. I didnt car whether they were weird or were not popular. All that mattered is that we were good friends had a lot in common, and liked the same things. I know it sounds a bit cliche but its true. 

Also have you dried joining a sports team, Football (American), Soccer, Track, Baseball, etc, etc. 

I mean how? Everyone seems to stay away from me, or completely ignore that I even exist in the first place. Or do I have my expectations to classify people as "friends" too high? I have a lot of people that I know positively, but at it's highest I only classify some people as school friends, but not "real friends". I've seen though that my "friend rank" is equivalent to other teenagers' "rank" "best friend", but those people are social with almost anybody...

Am I too useless for other people to take advantage of me? Am I too anti-social? Shyness maybe? Or just too stupid for others to be accepted?

This is mostly about my spare time spent in high school. Sure, I can talk so (SOME) people without too many issues, but only like from just few seconds to few minutes. But most of the time I feel lonely.  Though I'm used to loneliness, but that's because I have to be left alone for no reason.

Sorry about my small exhausting to the forums, but... No other place to express this.

I need some friends...

I'm in the exact same position as you.

• 2 years later...

Play more video games you'll eventually meet someone kind enough to chat and when you think he or she is your friend pray they aint a pedo

11 minutes ago, Chr505 said:

Play more video games you'll eventually meet someone kind enough to chat and when you think he or she is your friend pray they aint a pedo

Jesus man, this thread is over 2 years old! 

Why do people feel like reading the forum from the beginning haha. 

20fakno.gif

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Why do you want friends? Why do you want anything to do with other people?

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2014 at 9:09 AM, WoodenMarker said:

A little too much depending on the person--not exactly a modern day thing. 

Which of the criteria are you having the hardest time fulfilling?

I find this criteria can be met only by the LTT community.

Nobody else can fulfill all of the criteria.

The time bit is the one I have most issue with as well as having reliable people.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Join afterschool curriculars. Before I joined Cadets and Scouts all I had were "School friends" and a few good friends, but then things always change. Quite a few people at our school are jealous of me and my power in the school (A lot of the teachers respect my opinion) and turn my friends against me or my friends start to be dicks. Im not trying to make myself better than other people. Luke himself already roasted me for it, but because of my maturity most kids seem like 8 year olds to me. After joining Cadets I met my 2 best friends and my crush :$ In scouts, I met my other group of real friends. I've also met lots of my friends here ( @wcreek @ShadowTechXTS ). Just keep trying new things and you'll find your true friends!

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

On 29 April 2014 at 3:04 PM, Mike_The_B0ss said:

I have no friends either :P  I classify someone as a 'friend' who will be there for me in tough situations and laughs and my horrible jokes :D

very hard to find those friends, especially when you hit the 25 mark 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

You said a lot of times that "other people ignored you". 

Do they?? Or it was felt that way?

I am not being a prick here, but myself was in the same situation. Not long ago,  like 4 years ago.

I thought I was being ignored, coz I am a lot older than my classmates. (I am a foreign student.) 

I thought they think I am boring and etc.

In the end that was never the truth. After we breaking the ice, they liked me and invited me to join them every time. 

The point I was trying to make is that sometimes we cannot trust how we "feel".

You might still feel that you are the boy that got bullied a few years ago.

But in reality everything changed. You are not that boy anymore. You've grown up. And the circumstances are different now.

You said yourself : high school is diff. There are a lot of nice people here.

Also since this is a tech forum, do you like playing games? 

I've met at least 4,5 people when I was playing league of legends. 

And we've become friends after that. Every day we play a few games , and skyping, and calling each other all the time. 

If all these still cannot convince you, then let me tell you this:

We all gonna have the time of our lives. Some people's best time comes earlier than others. That's it. 

I have never met a person who was the "star" when he/she was studying in school. Then got a job that pays him a lot. Then got promoted. Then become an entrepreneur. Then become a billionaire. NOPE. In life it does not work that way. Most of the billionaires had a lot of early struggles. You know the man behind Virgin company? I forgot his name. His primary school teacher thinks he is stupid. Literally. Imagine what kind of life he had when he was a kid? I doubt he had an easy one. Terry Crews once said: the most popular student in my high school ends up working in a car wash. The famous stand-up comedian Russell Peters got send into a Special Needs School. Cos his lecturer and principle think since he talk so slow, he's a retard. At one night when he did his standup he jokingly said:" I talk slow to the principal cos I thought he does not understand what I'm saying! I was talking slow cos he was talking slow firstly! "

Keep moving forward and trying out new things. Friends will appear in no time. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

On April 29, 2014 at 2:53 AM, Ruostunut kokis said:

I mean how? Everyone seems to stay away from me, or completely ignore that I even exist in the first place. Or do I have my expectations to classify people as "friends" too high? I have a lot of people that I know positively, but at it's highest I only classify some people as school friends, but not "real friends". I've seen though that my "friend rank" is equivalent to other teenagers' "rank" "best friend", but those people are social with almost anybody...

Am I too useless for other people to take advantage of me? Am I too anti-social? Shyness maybe? Or just too stupid for others to be accepted?

This is mostly about my spare time spent in high school. Sure, I can talk so (SOME) people without too many issues, but only like from just few seconds to few minutes. But most of the time I feel lonely.  Though I'm used to loneliness, but that's because I have to be left alone for no reason.

Sorry about my small exhausting to the forums, but... No other place to express this.

I need some friends...

Same thing for me, online friends ftw. 

except i I do have one close friend, who's in my class's social group. Apparenly they all Hate me for no god damn reason. I'm just assuming it's because of one bitch in my class who randomly Hates me and "spread information" that I'm a piece of shit or that asshole in my class that I used to play with. We "ended our friendship" on a good note (he legit just stopped playing with me, assuming it's a good note) and yeah. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.