Asus Strix 3080 Fan Issue

Leek Soup

My Asus Strix 3080 OC is a secondhand ex-mining card, and as a result the bearing on one of the fans of the fans is failing, causing the fan to wobble and make noise against the shroud at certain RPMs. So I can see I have 2 options:

-I can replace them myself, a set of 3 fans is EUR 12 on AliExpress

-I can deshroud the card and put on a pair of high static pressure 120MM fans (possibly the Phanteks T30?). The card has two fan headers on it so I would use those. 

The fans seem to be a common failure point of the card, so by putting on some high end high static pressure fans I would be eliminating this failure point. The main negative I can think of if I do this is cost, as a pair of Phanteks T30 would cost EUR 60 excluding shipping. I plan on keeping the card for a long time since it does more than what I need it for, so maybe that would make it worth the extra cost of the T30s?

What do you think I should do? Any suggestions or advice is welcome. 

55 minutes ago, Leek Soup said:

My Asus Strix 3080 OC is a secondhand ex-mining card, and as a result the bearing on one of the fans of the fans is failing, causing the fan to wobble and make noise against the shroud at certain RPMs. So I can see I have 2 options:

-I can deshroud the card and put on a pair of high static pressure 120MM fans (possibly the Phanteks T30?). The card has two fan headers on it so I would use those. 

The fans seem to be a common failure point of the card, so by putting on some high end high static pressure fans I would be eliminating this failure point. The main negative I can think of if I do this is cost, as a pair of Phanteks T30 would cost EUR 60 excluding shipping. I plan on keeping the card for a long time since it does more than what I need it for, so maybe that would make it worth the extra cost of the T30s?

Never heard of T30.

Is it this one ?

https://phanteks.com/PH-F120T30.html

https://www.phanteks.store/products/phanteks-t30-120-fans

If yes, the spec sheet doesn't strike me as a high static pressure fan.

Plus, you will have to change the connector, or make an adapter.
The header on the GPU isn't a standard 4pin fan header.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

11 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Never heard of T30.

Is it this one ?

https://phanteks.com/PH-F120T30.html

https://www.phanteks.store/products/phanteks-t30-120-fans

If yes, the spec sheet doesn't strike me as a high static pressure fan.

Plus, you will have to change the connector, or make an adapter.
The header on the GPU isn't a standard 4pin fan header.

image.thumb.jpeg.9c774d2a06465ea18107846b86bc4a23.jpeg

These are the fan headers I plan on using, I have used them before and now they work.

Thanks for the advice on the fans, would something like the Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-200 PWM be better? It has a higher static pressure than the T30.

3 minutes ago, Leek Soup said:

These are the fan headers I plan on using, I have used them before and now they work.

Thanks for the advice on the fans, would something like the Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-200 PWM be better? It has a higher static pressure than the T30.

Ah, the external fan headers.

Well, by the spec sheet, NF-F12 surely looks way better than the T30. Gonna be loud when it's running high rpm though.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

9 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Ah, the external fan headers.

Well, by the spec sheet, NF-F12 surely looks way better than the T30. Gonna be loud when it's running high rpm though.

Ok, thanks for the advice!

On 9/18/2022 at 4:30 PM, Leek Soup said:

I used this company to replace all my fans on my x2 Asus 980ti strix with genuine sourced replacements:

https://www.gpufanreplacement.com/

Would recommend.

The price was reasonable and I bought six and replaced the lot after about 4 or 5 years.

(Before my recent upgrade to 3080ti and the 980ti are put out to pasture in x2 office PC)

I had similar issues to you with the bearings on one. Since replacement. No issues whatsoever.

They are genuine sourced. Or were in my case. Matched exactly the fans product codes etc from Asus. Physically the same. But no failures to date after 1 to 2 years heavy use.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

4 hours ago, mark_cameron said:

I used this company to replace all my fans on my x2 Asus 980ti strix with genuine sourced replacements:

https://www.gpufanreplacement.com/

Would recommend.

The price was reasonable and I bought six and replaced the lot after about 4 or 5 years.

(Before my recent upgrade to 3080ti and the 980ti are put out to pasture in x2 office PC)

I had similar issues to you with the bearings on one. Since replacement. No issues whatsoever.

They are genuine sourced. Or were in my case. Matched exactly the fans product codes etc from Asus. Physically the same. But no failures to date after 1 to 2 years heavy use.

Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll see if they ship to Ireland. 

1 hour ago, Leek Soup said:

They should do. I'm in the UK.

May not be as cheap as AliExpress but they are definitely genuine parts straight from Asus' supplier.

This I can confirm with absolute certainty. They were with mine.

Here is my original thread at the time.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

1 hour ago, Leek Soup said:

Personally I think the Asus gpu fans are quite delicate. The bearings can be damaged by improper handling and/or by cleaning e.g. use of high power air putting too much pressure on one side of the bearing. Might of happened with your ex- mining card. As long as you're careful with them they seem ok generally.

If you do some maintenance on it, you can seriously improve the performance of older cards. So if I were you I'd take the opportunity to strip down and re- thermal paste and everything.

On 9/21/2022 at 10:24 AM, mark_cameron said:

Personally I think the Asus gpu fans are quite delicate. The bearings can be damaged by improper handling and/or by cleaning e.g. use of high power air putting too much pressure on one side of the bearing. Might of happened with your ex- mining card. As long as you're careful with them they seem ok generally.

If you do some maintenance on it, you can seriously improve the performance of older cards. So if I were you I'd take the opportunity to strip down and re- thermal paste and everything.

Yeah when I’m taking it apart I’ll make sure to fully clean it and replace the thermal paste, it is really disgusting with lots of caked on dust from the last owner. I’ve got a tube of Arctic MX-4 to use on it. Thanks again for the advice. 

On 9/18/2022 at 10:30 AM, Leek Soup said:

I'm a huge jabroni for doing this.  I did it with a bad fan on my Zotac AMP Extreme 1070ti, the radiator was literally perfectly split into 2 120x120mm rads, so its look sick AF with arctic p12s.  The GPU also OC's better than ever and runs way quieter, even with the p12ss set to full speed all the time.  You'll spend about the same as yoou would for the replacement fans, but TBH it's an upgrade.  It's also easier, just zipties and your done.  I also just plugged the fans into my mobo, but if the card has headers maybe you'd wanna use them, however, your fan curve is gonna be different with 120s that have deep blades vs thin 100mm or 92mm fans that GPUs use.  I personally just run them at full speed through the motherboard because it's still quieter than half speed GPU fans.  The ammount of static pressure they generate is just incomparable with those big blades.

IMG_7265.jpg

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

On 9/19/2022 at 12:30 AM, Leek Soup said:

Same thing happened to me - I just ordered some replacement fans from Aliexpress. 

D1EE13C2-5219-4B91-B984-3010FD291964.gif

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

On 9/22/2022 at 11:55 AM, Leek Soup said:

Yeah when I’m taking it apart I’ll make sure to fully clean it and replace the thermal paste, it is really disgusting with lots of caked on dust from the last owner. I’ve got a tube of Arctic MX-4 to use on it. Thanks again for the advice. 

It's amazing the difference a year of use has on thermal paste. It was solid cake on mine before I repasted with the noctura nt-h2 paste.

Reckon when you refurb your card it'll be so much better and quieter 

Who needs a 40 series 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, mark_cameron said:

It's amazing the difference a year of use has on thermal paste. It was solid cake on mine before I repasted with the noctura nt-h2 paste.

Yeah I’m just waiting for the NF-F12s to arrive now. I’ll update you if it goes well, or if I break it somehow. 

On 9/24/2022 at 3:23 PM, mark_cameron said:

All done, no issues thankfully. Replaced the thermal paste too. Temps are great, and it’s much quieter than the original fans. I’ll do a full write up at some point. 

54F05751-856A-4245-AB9E-CE2139949DF8.jpeg