Need recommendations for media production work station

Budget: $10,000-$75,000 USD. The budget range may seem crazy, but we dropped $200K on camera and lighting equipment, so we will spend a bunch if it makes sense, but for all I know $10K is more than enough for us right now, I really have no idea, and that's why I need your help.

Expected Workloads: (1). 4-8 qty. 4K-6K resolution cameras in Adobe Premiere Pro, (2). 24-64 simultaneous audio tracks in ProTools, (3). Adobe Photoshop / Illustrator, (4). Day-to-day work, including programming

Possible Workloads: It would ideally be capable (or be upgradeable) to handle video effects work, composite renders for product marketing, CAD and Visio, color correction, basic programming in VB.Net, C#, C++, HTML, CSS3, JavaScript, etc. These workloads are low priority. It would be nice if it could handle a few AAA games, but that's the lowest priority.

Upgrading From: iMac Pro.

Desired Form Factor: Rack-mountable and somewhat travel-friendly as it may get moved around frequently in an audio/video production equipment rack

Desired Cooling: I need it to be mostly quiet due to the variable audio/video recording/editing environments it may be placed in, but it needs to be balanced between noise, efficiency, performance, and low-maintenance. I'm guessing AIOs or air coolers make the most sense.

Other Details: Is it better to just go somewhere like Puget Systems? Would love your guys' recommendations. I would like to get this configured and purchased somewhat quickly. If I'm being unrealistic about anything, please set me straight. I know this might come across as a "dream machine," but I am seriously looking to build or buy this machine soon because I have work to do. I can take criticism, so feel free to roast me for this ridiculous post. I have no preference between Intel or AMD. I want decent upgradability, if possible.

Storage: I don't need more than 4TB because I'll want to mostly rely on external storage due to the required mobility for travel. External storage recommendations are welcome.

Peripherals: I will want to get at least one 4K monitor that is highly color-accurate and fairly bright, but I don't need 1000 nits sustained HDR editing or anything crazy. Full sRGB coverage, >95% DCI P3 coverage, and decent Adobe RGB coverage would all be nice. Any recommendations welcome.

Rack mounted gear won't have as much space as desktop on one end like vertically, so you'll need a huge rack for stuff. You might wanna go tower at that point.

For monitor, using old and waiting out for the new LG OLEDs might be worth the while.

To be honest with you with a budget like that go to something like HP Z Workstations website or Pudget Systems.

The only trap not to fall in at that point is getting a high core count cpu that might tank your single core performance.

1 minute ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

To be honest with you with a budget like that go to something like HP Z Workstations website or Pudget Systems.

The only trap not to fall in at that point is getting a high core count cpu that might tank your single core performance.

They typically do not offer rack solutions and are a hugh time rip off, so my vote to that goes as big of a fat no as their pricing.

1 minute ago, Motifator said:

They typically do not offer rack solutions and are a hugh time rip off, so my vote to that goes as big of a fat no as their pricing.

who? HP Z or pudget systems?

4 minutes ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

who? HP Z or pudget systems?

Heavily recommend building one's self especially with this level of cash regardless of there's a rack solution from them or not (which I very doubt). They will be shelling out a lot of cash to those clown companies otherwise. Puget, ugh.

Heavily recommend building one's self especially with this level of cash regardless of there's a rack solution from them or not (which I very doubt). They will be shelling out a lot of cash to those clown companies otherwise. Puget, ugh.

TBH tho he has enough money to go with a proper workstation grade system... so why would he build a desktop/enthusiast class system where the standards are lower?

3 minutes ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

TBH tho he has enough money to go with a proper workstation grade system... so why would he build a desktop/enthusiast class system where the standards are lower?

How so? You can obtain literally anything and beyond they offer... for cheaper.

I am building a workstation here is my parts list.

-ASRock rack SPC621D8 or Supermicro MBD-X12SPL-F

https://www.provantage.com/asrock-spc621d8~7ASRI0K6.htm

-Xeon W-3300 series (W-3323) LGA-4189

https://www.provantage.com/intel-cd8068904708502~7ITEP7R1.htm

-Ram kit on the SPC621D8 qualified vendor list.

256gb DRR4 3200 RDIMM with ECC

https://www.newegg.com/crucial-256gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/1X5-003Y-004S1

-Noctua NH-U14S DX-4189 CPU Cooler

-PNY RTX A4500 20 GB

https://www.provantage.com/pny-technologies-vcnrtxa4500-pb~7PNY9242.htm

Samsung MZPLJ1T6HBJR-00007 PM1735 HVL 1.6TB HHHL NVMe PCIe 4.0 x8

https://tecisoft.com/products/samsung-pm1735-series-1-6tb?currency=USD&variant=39634347294795&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&srsltid=AdGWZVQ3aq0AbAVpfdy7RfaUwO9kmOPkwSIZmeVzF-ZNKdqYS-_RVm8uxyI

Just now, Motifator said:

How so? You can obtain literally anything and beyond they offer... for cheaper.

its not just about performance, its about the higher standards of testing the workstation grade hardware goes through, along with features you would not find on a consumer/enthusiast grade system.

1 minute ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

its not just about performance, its about the higher standards of testing the workstation grade hardware goes through, along with features you would not find on a consumer/enthusiast grade system.

Not true, if you know what you're doing, you can do it yourself... and what features are you talking about? I'm not talking about building a consumer grade setup here.

Not true, if you know what you're doing, you can do it yourself... and what features are you talking about? I'm not talking about building a consumer grade setup here.

ECC Ram, CPU's that certain features that u dont find on consumer grade or enthusiast grade system, boards with better quality components, better shielding, not just better but more Reliable cooling, PSU's that are redundant, more efficient, and are designed to run for longer. Not to mention that Workstations are specifically tested and validated with whole ranges of components (you dont ever get into a situation where some ppl bought ryzen 5000 cpu's but their motherboard didnt come with a new enough bios version). I can go on and on...

10 minutes ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

A Xeon W-3300 series will cost double from a OEM. A lot of these OEMs are also fly by night companies.

As another example, my HP Z820 that i got off ebay and have been rocking for 5 years now had dual e5-2697v2 and they have this special self-contained liquid cooling modual:

HP z820 Workstation Liquid Cooling Heatsink 635869-001 G0J48AA | eBay

I have two of these things for my two cpus and they have not once caused problems, meanwhile i have seen my 2 friends with custom PC's go through 4 AIO's from the brands like NZXT and Corsair and eventually fall back to air cooling cause their pumps died. 

A specialized processor like the Xeon W-3300 with 8 channel ram is going to be hard to find on ebay. Servers seem more available on eBay. Not really sure what I think about the used market. I don't know if you will really save a lot unless you are 3-4 gens old.

e5-2697v2 is a Q3'13 Launch Date.

Xeon W-3300 Q3'21 Launch Date 

20 minutes ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

As another example, my HP Z820 that i got off ebay and have been rocking for 5 years now had dual e5-2697v2 and they have this special self-contained liquid cooling modual:

HP z820 Workstation Liquid Cooling Heatsink 635869-001 G0J48AA | eBay

I have two of these things for my two cpus and they have not once caused problems, meanwhile i have seen my 2 friends with custom PC's go through 4 AIO's from the brands like NZXT and Corsair and eventually fall back to air cooling cause their pumps died. 

Yeah, a literal old gen Asetek slapped rad... cringe.

27 minutes ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

ECC Ram, CPU's that certain features that u dont find on consumer grade or enthusiast grade system, boards with better quality components, better shielding, not just better but more Reliable cooling, PSU's that are redundant, more efficient, and are designed to run for longer. Not to mention that Workstations are specifically tested and validated with whole ranges of components (you dont ever get into a situation where some ppl bought ryzen 5000 cpu's but their motherboard didnt come with a new enough bios version). I can go on and on...

Even more cringe here as if you can't buy ECC RAM, or that the pre-built has better grade shielding and a bunch of other fluffer. Their boards are crap and no better than what you buy out there.

1 hour ago, Motifator said:

Yeah, a literal old gen Asetek slapped rad... cringe.

Even more cringe here as if you can't buy ECC RAM, or that the pre-built has better grade shielding and a bunch of other fluffer. Their boards are crap and no better than what you buy out there.

Yeah okay that's just shows how little experience you actually have. I've dealt with computers from all the major sectors for many years... And plus if workstations where as bad as u make it seem to be they would have died back when they where putting 2 pentium 2's on the same motherboard.... Yet this segment still lives on. 

1 hour ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

Yeah okay that's just shows how little experience you actually have. I've dealt with computers from all the major sectors for many years... And plus if workstations where as bad as u make it seem to be they would have died back when they where putting 2 pentium 2's on the same motherboard.... Yet this segment still lives on. 

I'm not making anything specific VERY bad, let's get that clear. However, that Asetek unit is one of the first gens and does suck. You're lucky that it hasn't failed so far on you. I have experience with those as well, just ones that had tubing such as the original Corsair H100. They all had bad long-term reliability.

The workstations yes should be more reliable, but cheap pre-built workstations do NOT always come with as high quality parts as those X399 boards you'd be buying. So you're not correct.

A suitable workstation from Dell, HP, or some other large manufacturer with experience in the area is my suggestion. It will likely be more expensive than a DIY. It certainly will not include cutting edge tech. On the other hand, it will perform reliably and as advertised. Unlike a DIY box, any required parts and repairs can be handled by a trained technician rather than taking the builder away from regular work.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

These kind of machines do not require exquisite maintenance when set properly, they're like your everyday PCs, just the rack solution are harder to clean, whatnot. If that's what be, do it yourself. It doesn't take all that much work and at the end of the day, what matters is you get a BETTER product for your cash. The A4500 setup a user posted is a good example of a fine balance. A much higher end, custom build rig will outperform the Puget crappers while offering them shorter render times. Which is what really matters for up task.

With a basically unlimited budget, you can as well go for Optane SSDs and any form of jazz. Might even custom order what's left out of Lucid SSDs... massive Optanes.

No pre-built will perform similarly in terms of storage to those. Again, custom build wins.

1 hour ago, Motifator said:

These kind of machines do not require exquisite maintenance when set properly, they're like your everyday PCs, just the rack solution are harder to clean, whatnot. If that's what be, do it yourself. It doesn't take all that much work and at the end of the day, what matters is you get a BETTER product for your cash. The A4500 setup a user posted is a good example of a fine balance. A much higher end, custom build rig will outperform the Puget crappers while offering them shorter render times. Which is what really matters for up task.

With a basically unlimited budget, you can as well go for Optane SSDs and any form of jazz. Might even custom order what's left out of Lucid SSDs... massive Optanes.

No pre-built will perform similarly in terms of storage to those. Again, custom build wins.

Acceptable performance for the task is a given, regardless of the solution.

Don't ignore the cost of assembly and having to do repairs. Presumably the builders occupation is not workstation assembly. Should a failure occur, he will have to stop regular work, diagnose the issue, source parts, and perform repairs.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Lots of great replies, thanks guys. I watch enough videos to be able to spec a standard tower based on a chosen cpu, but I’d really like to do a rack mounted machine due to its use in audio / video production, travel-to-location recording, etc. That really brings form factor of the various components into consideration, so I need help picking parts.

First things first, though, can you guys help me pick a processor? LThe cpu will affect the board, ram, and cpu coolor that can be selected, so I want to start there. Given the workloads I listed in the post, what CPU (and graphics card(s)) can handle video editing multiple 4K/6K cameras? Do I need to go high-end Epyc or Xeon? Do my workloads require more single-core or multi-core performance?

I prefer PC, but I’m also a Mac guy. Essentially, I want a PC version of the Mac Pro in a rack mount chassis. I’m more than happy to go DIY, but I need a parts list.

I'm suspecting you want both top notch CPU and GPU power, for both ways or multiple renders at once. Either case, old Xeons are NOT a consideration here. They're garbage on efficiency and effectiveness compared to AMD's offerings. Go AMD, Threadripper or EPYC, the latest Genoa's preferred. Along with the newer revision boards... I don't know what form of rack you'll have and how you'll mount it in, sounds extreme. Might as well go tower, again.

Thanks everyone. Hopefully, I will update this thread soon. I am going to get a quote from Puget, just to see, but I am going to try to put together a parts list and post it here. I still prefer the mobility of a rack mounted PC for my work (given I'll be transporting an AV equipment rack anyway), but that will ultimately come down to what size, power, and cooling is necessary for a rack config.

If it ends up being too crazy, I'll go tower.

This is too crazy, but not extreme far fetched for what you're wanting:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/m8dTtn

Basically the most capable CPU for that stuff, 128g RAM (suffice?), 420 Alphacool cooler with push pull fans to add to tame the beast, which supports that socket. Two A6000's connected via NVLink so the memory pool is combined, you can dedicate or use them together for the renders. Or just the CPU, or both, depending on use case. Use the Optane for boot and primary SSD with the Phison 4.0 for renders as bigger files will be read faster on it. Last but a bit of the least, the OLED monitor with the known kinda fuzzy text issue... it's A BIT fuzzy, still an amazing monitor though.

I'd say that would cover up most of it, unless I'm missing stuff. Price is extreme, but so is the need from what I'm understanding. As to why I didn't do rack, putting AIO and stuff there wasn't going to be easy.