Trying to install Windows on GPT Drive

NoLoMo
Go to solution Solved by NoLoMo,
46 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Generally it’s just one go.  I haven’t updated an asus motherboard in many years, so I have no up-to-date specific knowledge.  I did edit that earlier post though it may be reassuring.

On 9/8/2022 at 10:48 PM, Robchil said:

If i'm on.. i'm sure others will as well.. here it's 07:48 now depending on timezone. 😄

Well I got it to work, and I am now on a GPT partition. Unless these is something else I would need to do thank you very much for the support!

The BIOS Flashing was the key to the success. For future reference I updated to P4.80 and UEFI now works. 

Hello everyone,

I am reinstalling Windows 10 and my previous drive is in a MBR partition format. Some quick googling said that while I wont see any performance by switching, GPT is the newer than MBR. I installed windows but it was MBR format still, I formatted the drive to GPT first then installed and it was still MBR. I downloaded a rufus iso bootdrive in GPT, disabled CSM and secure boot in my bios but I cannot get windows to the the partition to setup. Stupid question: can my system not install using aa GPT format?

PC Specs:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nolomo/saved/dBvYNG

Thanks!

Edit: I am not sure if the BIOS version will matter but I will get that as soon as I can.

Edit: The BIOS is version P4.50

Edit: Since it’s not work nor recognizing anything I decided to turn CSM back on. Now I can boot to the USB boot drive and see my other drives. I’m just going to assume it’s not compatible with my system. Maybe in the future I just want to get this working

Edited by NoLoMo

*looks at specs* “this parts list is private”

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

for some reason windows is finnicky about the system that originaly create the install USB.. and secure boot etc uefi shouldn't work if it's not a GPT disk. 

see if you can boot the install USB with UEFI mode and try to install it. 

Lol.  A new 1600 is going for $277 atm.  That’s hilarious

GPT is UFEI. MBR is legacy.  GPT has a bunch of advantages.  I suspect something is set wrong and you’re going to have to format and diskpart again.

i suspect @Robchil knows a lot more about this than me.  I’d listen to him first.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, Robchil said:

for some reason windows is finnicky about the system that originaly create the install USB.. and secure boot etc uefi shouldn't work if it's not a GPT disk. 

see if you can boot the install USB with UEFI mode and try to install it. 

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Lol.  A new 1600 is going for $277 atm.  That’s hilarious

GPT is UFEI. MBR is legacy.  GPT has a bunch of advantages.  I suspect something is set wrong and you’re going to have to format and diskpart again.

i suspect @Robchil knows a lot more about this than me.  I’d listen to him first.

I did try all my options the Windows Built-In UEFI, UEFI EFI, Partition 1 and Partition 2 and none of them worked. The system would boot loop back to the beginning and did not allow me to proceed.

For the USB I formatted using rufus, both trying the ISO through rufus and through windows creation media device. Both did not work.

The 970 EVO was formatted to GPT using AEOMI Partition Manager (forgot the actual name), before I attempted to install.

I kinda gave up and ended up setting with MBR again. What are the main things that I would be missing?

If need be I can try again this weekend. I was just getting tired and wanted something to work.

5 minutes ago, NoLoMo said:

I did try all my options the Windows Built-In UEFI, UEFI EFI, Partition 1 and Partition 2 and none of them worked. The system would boot loop back to the beginning and did not allow me to proceed.

For the USB I formatted using rufus, both trying the ISO through rufus and through windows creation media device. Both did not work.

The 970 EVO was formatted to GPT using AEOMI Partition Manager (forgot the actual name), before I attempted to install.

I kinda gave up and ended up setting with MBR again. What are the main things that I would be missing?

If need be I can try again this weekend. I was just getting tired and wanted something to work.

Main things.. let's see.. secure boot TPM working.  oh and upgrade to windows 11. you'll need to reinstall when on MBR if i recollect correct. 

i've seen this, when the install USB has been created in RUFUS and or system it was created on was on MBR..  did you disable antivirus while creating? 

7 minutes ago, NoLoMo said:

Number of possible partitions is one of the big ones. Also, GPT is more stable.  If you lose both copies of your MBR you’re basically hosed. And MBR likes to screw up. There will be a whole lot less fix commands with GPT.  There is some other stuff too but it’s escaping me.  GPT is stored in a totally different way than MBR in completely different places.  There’s a whole genre of malware that works by attacking MBR.

Edited by Bombastinator

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Number of possible partitions is one of the big ones. Also, GPT is more stable.  If you lose both copies of your MBR you’re basically hosed. And MBR likes to screw up. There will be a whole lot less fix commands with GPT.  There is some other stuff too but it’s escaping me.  GPT is stored in a totally different way than MBR in completely different places. 

Got it, so in other words its worth the effort in trying to fix it. Sigh and here I thought Windows was "simple" XD well I learn something new.

1 minute ago, NoLoMo said:

Got it, so in other words its worth the effort in trying to fix it. Sigh and here I thought Windows was "simple" XD well I learn something new.

It is simple when USB is UEFI bootable. 

Just now, NoLoMo said:

I don’t think there has been a “simple” OS in many years.  My memory is everything after me was built off NT, and NT was never simple.

2 minutes ago, Robchil said:

Any way to ensure that?

This is what I am currently using as the boot device?

image.png.8ae20445130805e5e3c119d874249b76.pngimage.png.56f0c7e4669553ceaba59d5670f44d29.png

11 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t think there has been a “simple” OS in many years.  My memory is everything after me was built off NT, and NT was never simple.

Ahhh ok

21 minutes ago, Robchil said:

Actually, just a thought you mentioned that windows is finiky with boot media. Stupid Question 2: Would clearing the CMOS help with that?

3 minutes ago, NoLoMo said:

Actually, just a thought you mentioned that windows is finiky with boot media. Stupid Question 2: Would clearing the CMOS help with that?

it is finiky..  and usually a pain in the ass, often not successfull with rufus, disable antivirus and try windows media creator again. 

there are no stupid questions. it's up to you to do that, i would set it up for UEFI only and disable csm. That way you know it's only booting uefi. 

13 minutes ago, Robchil said:

it is finiky..  and usually a pain in the ass, often not successfull with rufus, disable antivirus and try windows media creator again. 

there are no stupid questions. it's up to you to do that, i would set it up for UEFI only and disable csm. That way you know it's only booting uefi. 

I can try again. mind helping me trouble shoot on Sunday?

I can try again. mind helping me trouble shoot on Sunday?

If i'm on.. i'm sure others will as well.. here it's 07:48 now depending on timezone. 😄

Well imma try again. Let me see if my laptop is in GPT and try creating the media drive there

On 9/9/2022 at 12:32 AM, Robchil said:

See, now I have to think up a stupid question…

24 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

See, now I have to think up a stupid question…

Ya love to see it. Someone else has the exact same issue as you but they only post "EDIT: IT WORKS!"

Apperently they updated BIOS and it worked for them, not sure why it would have changed anything

Ya love to see it. Someone else has the exact same issue as you but they only post "EDIT: IT WORKS!"

Apperently they updated BIOS and it worked for them, not sure why it would have changed anything

Because the bios is where those tacked on things are.  It’s a kludge on top of a kludge. It can break.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Because the bios is where those tacked on things are.  It’s a kludge on top of a kludge. It can break.

Always nervous when flashing a board. Then I also need to make sure i dont flash it to a new version because gen 4 drops gen 1 supp if I recall correctly

6 minutes ago, NoLoMo said:

Always nervous when flashing a board. Then I also need to make sure i dont flash it to a new version because gen 4 drops gen 1 supp if I recall correctly

Ouch.  Yeah, there is always some risk.  If the board has such a feature though it’s a lot safer because if it screws up you can just do it again.  Imho it is the most valuable feature of “premium” boards outside of better i/o 

Edited by Bombastinator

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Ouch.  Yeah, there is always some risk

I got a couple of questions.

This is ASRocks BIOS update page, but I am not sure which would be for my MOBO.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370 Killer SLIac/index.asp#BIOS

What should i be looking for?

So say I need to update 4.80 but im on 4.50 do I need to consecutively update through each one or all in one go unless explicitly stated?

8 minutes ago, NoLoMo said:

I got a couple of questions.

This is ASRocks BIOS update page, but I am not sure which would be for my MOBO.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370 Killer SLIac/index.asp#BIOS

What should i be looking for?

So say I need to update 4.80 but im on 4.50 do I need to consecutively update through each one or all in one go unless explicitly stated?

Generally it’s just one go.  I haven’t updated an asus motherboard in many years, so I have no up-to-date specific knowledge.  I did edit that earlier post though it may be reassuring.

Edited by Bombastinator