Hello,

I am wanting to try to get into making videos, specifically tech videos, on YouTube including unboxings, reviews etc. basically what Linus does on his channel. I have a decent camera to start out with and a good editing rig with good software to edit with. I am all set with things to do a video on and things I need for making videos. I am wanting to start out going solo and doing it as a hobby but I want to eventually grow it into a business and make a living out of it kind of like what Linus did on his channel. Anyways, the only problem is, I dont know what to use for a username and would like some help trying to find one. To help you guys out, my first name is Josh and any suggestions will work as long as it makes sense, doesnt include numbers, and is short and sweet. I really want to put a lot of work and effort into trying to make this channel successful so I need to have a good solid username to go along with it. Thanks for all of your guys' suggestions!

lol youre not going to be doing this as a job

not make any profit from it anyways

there are thousands of other people doing the exact same thing and only like 10 do it as a job

plus they are sponsored, its not like they get everything they want for free

you should explore more viable work options for your future if you do not want to be disappointed

as linus said before, he said his son will never do youtube as a job

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Hello,

I am wanting to try to get into making videos, specifically tech videos, on YouTube including unboxings, reviews etc. basically what Linus does on his channel. I have a decent camera to start out with and a good editing rig with good software to edit with. I am all set with things to do a video on and things I need for making videos. I am wanting to start out going solo and doing it as a hobby but I want to eventually grow it into a business and make a living out of it kind of like what Linus did on his channel. Anyways, the only problem is, I dont know what to use for a username and would like some help trying to find one. To help you guys out, my first name is Josh and any suggestions will work as long as it makes sense, doesnt include numbers, and is short and sweet. I really want to put a lot of work and effort into trying to make this channel successful so I need to have a good solid username to go along with it. Thanks for all of your guys' suggestions!

What's your angle? If you'll be doing exactly what Linus is doing, why would someone watch your content over Linus's? You need to separate yourself from the crowd if you want to gain an audience.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

i agree with @Enderman but if you want to do it as a hobby then go for it. you will have to try and do cool things that makes you special, wich is harder to do on youtube now.

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

i agree with @Enderman but if you want to do it as a hobby then go for it. you will have to try and do cool things that makes you special, wich is harder to do on youtube now.

yeah hobby is fine

i do youtube as a hobby too, but i will never expect this to be a job or make any kind of money from it

i even have ads off so that people dont have to watch stupid ads when it will only make me like a couple bucks a month

also im pretty sure youtube does not send you any money until you are making $100+ per month

its just a waste of time, money, and effort to try to be something only one in millions people can do

you might as well try to win the lottery and you would have better odds

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Hello,

Really interesting and I would absolutely love to have Linus's job but lets face it, it is not going to happen, at least not just like that. Linus gets samples and is payed lots of money for making professional (ignoring that banana harrassment shit :o) review and other videos. Youtube ads don't account for much of his funds I would imagine.

As I said, if you'd like to start it as a hobby, go for it it is great and please tell me the channel once you have it!!!

I hope we haven't discouraged you from starting it.

Names that come to mind are:

Josh's TechChannel (if you like using your name in it i.e. If that is actually your real name LOL) Trying not to rip off LinusTechTips here...

PS: Only one question remains: Do you have a cat yet?

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Cats + Internet = Gold.

But seriously, it won't be easy. You have to consider it very thoroughly and be prepared to throw lots of time at it and possibly still fail.

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

Really interesting and I would absolutely love to have Linus's job but lets face it, it is not going to happen, at least not just like that. Linus gets samples and is payed lots of money for making professional (ignoring that banana harrassment shit :o) review and other videos. Youtube ads don't account for much of his funds I would imagine.

As I said, if you'd like to start it as a hobby, go for it it is great and please tell me the channel once you have it!!!

I hope we haven't discouraged you from starting it.

Names that come to mind are:

Josh's TechChannel (if you like using your name in it i.e. If that is actually your real name LOL) Trying not to rip off LinusTechTips here...

PS: Only one question remains: Do you have a cat yet?

Thanks for the reply! I realise that the chance of becoming "YouTube Famous" is really unlikely, but Im really into computers, building computers and tech in general and Im into shooting and editing video so I though what a better way to do both the things you love? Yes it will DEFINITELY start out as a hobby, but If Im determined enough there is the slight chance that it could turn out as my future job. And I agree with you, there is now way Linus makes all of his money off of just ads. And I do not have a cat.