Samsung pushing firmware update to older devices (S7 & S8)

robertw1995
5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

You can run an android without an account, but unless you are happy with only the preinstalled apps you would have to go looking for an app store that had all apps you want/need.  How many of the alternative app stores have the main apps we need (banking, ISP/telco and services like ubber/menulog)?

You aren't limited to the preinstalled apps without a Google account. You can:

1) Sideload apps, just like the average user would do on Windows.

2) Install a third party app store. Examples of this is Aurora which does in fact include all the apps I looked up, including my banking app and phone companies. 

3) Use your browser, which is how most people do things on Windows. Want to login to your bank? Do it in a browser. Want to login to your telco account? Do it in a browser. You don't need a special app for every task if you don't want to.

10 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Personally I find the android setup to be a bit like the current windows setup where the average user is directed heavily toward creating an account and not given other options upfront.  

There is a massive difference.

On Android, you get the option do sign in if you want but you don't have to. If you sign in, you get access to some things you probably want like backups and syncing settings.

On Windows, you do not get the option. You have to sign in (unless you have a particular, higher cost version of Windows, and circumvent it by doing things like unplugging cables or components). And the benefit for doing this is... Pretty much nothing.

I find it very dishonest to compare the two because they are nothing alike.

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

You can always use a browser, more often than not the apps you mention are doing just that while hiding this fact.

I have been forced to using apps that access sensitive data (akin to banking), I will not use a browser to access my bank on a phone.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

You aren't limited to the preinstalled apps without a Google account. You can:

1) Sideload apps, just like the average user would do on Windows.

Only if the apps are available for sideloading.

2) Install a third party app store. Examples of this is Aurora which does in fact include all the apps I looked up, including my banking app and phone companies. 

I did not know this, however I just spent 5 minutes trying to find an app there and not one of the 3 I need the most are on there. 

3) Use your browser, which is how most people do things on Windows. Want to login to your bank? Do it in a browser. Want to login to your telco account? Do it in a browser. You don't need a special app for every task if you don't want to.

Aint no way I am using a browser on my phone to login to my bank. 

There is a massive difference.

On Android, you get the option do sign in if you want but you don't have to. If you sign in, you get access to some things you probably want like backups and syncing settings.

On Windows, you do not get the option. You have to sign in (unless you have a particular, higher cost version of Windows, and circumvent it by doing things like unplugging cables or components). And the benefit for doing this is... Pretty much nothing.

I find it very dishonest to compare the two because they are nothing alike.

I have had 3 android device now and 2 of them made it just as difficult to avoid the account setup stage.

If you don't experience the same thing then that is great, but it is not dishonest to express my displeasure of something I have experienced.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

I have been forced to using apps that access sensitive data (akin to banking), I will not use a browser to access my bank on a phone.

Why not use a browser? Are you really forced, or is it something you are choosing to use?

Also, like I said, banking apps exist outside of the Google Play store. 

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Only if the apps are available for sideloading.

Which most are.

Not all apps are available for sideloading on Windows either. Does that mean Windows is locked down and users doesn't have any choices?

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I did not know this, however I just spent 5 minutes trying to find an app there and not one of the 3 I need the most are on there. 

Which ones?

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Aint no way I am using a browser on my phone to login to my bank. 

Why not?

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I have had 3 android device now and 2 of them made it just as difficult to avoid the account setup stage.

Which devices, and in what way did they make it difficult?

Clicking "skip" is not what I would call "difficult" mind you.

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

If you don't experience the same thing then that is great, but it is not dishonest to express my displeasure of something I have experienced.

I am questioning your experience. I think you are overexaggerating and in some case probably lying because you made a false equivalence earlier that you don't want to back down from.

18 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Sorry to break it to you but not even a separate app can save your bacon if your phone gets compromised..... Anyway accessing really sensitive stuff including banking on a phone is just asking for trouble regardless if the app is a dedicated one, disguised web-browser, or straight up using a browser....

44 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Sorry to break it to you but not even a separate app can save your bacon if your phone gets compromised..... Anyway accessing really sensitive stuff including banking on a phone is just asking for trouble regardless if the app is a dedicated one, disguised web-browser, or straight up using a browser....

I know this, I am pissed I have to do it,  but the position I am in I don't really have a choice.  I am 99% sure these apps are not just a disguised web browser (inside information).   It's not just the phone being compromised that is the problem, it could be the browser or the ISP.   And we all know that androids (particularly the cheaper ones) don't always get security updates.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Why not use a browser? Are you really forced, or is it something you are choosing to use?

Also, like I said, banking apps exist outside of the Google Play store. 

Which most are.

Not all apps are available for sideloading on Windows either. Does that mean Windows is locked down and users doesn't have any choices?

Which ones?

Why not?

Which devices, and in what way did they make it difficult?

Clicking "skip" is not what I would call "difficult" mind you.

I am questioning your experience. I think you are overexaggerating and in some case probably lying because you made a false equivalence earlier that you don't want to back down from.

Someone has a different experience they must be over exaggerating. 

I guess It's just not possible that with the stupid number of different androids out there and the stupid number of exploits they discover every year that some of us are not willing to use a phone browser for sensitive information and don't like being dictated to by large corporations re accounts.   /s

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Someone has a different experience they must be over exaggerating. 

I guess It's just not possible that with the stupid number of different androids out there and the stupid number of exploits they discover every year that some of us are not willing to use a phone browser for sensitive information and don't like being dictated to by large corporations re accounts.   /s

Again, which apps were you not able to find anywhere except in the Google Play Store?

Also, why do you think using a separata app will provide more protection than using a browser?

21 hours ago, mr moose said:

Not very common though. 

Common enough to be defined the third largest mobile operating system after android and iOS

21 hours ago, mr moose said:

How many of the alternative app stores have the main apps we need (banking, ISP/telco and services like ubber/menulog)?

Aurora store gives you access to everything that's on the play store.

20 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

You can always use a browser, more often than not the apps you mention are doing just that while hiding this fact.

So much true

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 9/2/2022 at 8:20 PM, Bitter said:

So will my S8 Active get this through my mobile provider eventually?

Most likely. See if the update is available already through your phone settings, if not then its probably just a waiting game. 

3 hours ago, robertw1995 said:

Most likely. See if the update is available already through your phone settings, if not then its probably just a waiting game. 

Yeah it is not yet. 🤞

I hope other companies take note. I don't expect the newest OS on a device that is 7 years old, but keeping up with security updates should be the bare minimum 

18 hours ago, thatguy70 said:

I hope other companies take note. I don't expect the newest OS on a device that is 7 years old, but keeping up with security updates should be the bare minimum 

Doesn't seem like this included a security update as it remained on patch level April 2021. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580