Why our screwdriver took 3 YEARS

AlexTheGreatish
41 minutes ago, tkitch said:

yup, and Klein makes good tools.

Is it better than LTTs?  IDK.  Do you know?  

yes I am completely sure of it even if the quality is the same the klein one has adjustable and exchangable shafts which is one of the reason I complaint about in my first post in this topic 

5 hours ago, papajo said:

No leds to see where you screwing (e.g inside a PC case) no extension to make it longer or ability to remove the stem to make it shorter to reach that screw from above (e.g on a noctua cooler or when you screw a GPU and the case offer a hole that is like 3 inches away from the screw and in the 100 other other instances where you need it to be a little longer than the average screw driver) or short so that you can screw something in tight spaces or an flexible extension I rate this 6/10 the perfect clicky noise of the ratchet is like a low priority and you spent years and money for that instead for features that would actually make it more useful than the average screw driver...

And is my entire argument for why I feel its a shame for them to spent so much time and money to focus on superficial marketing details (color tones, clicky sounds) instead of using that same effort and money towards adding utility and offering something that is not offered by the competition or at least is not as easy to come by as I said there are many screw drivers that have different features but not 1 that has them all or most of them. 

And they could make e.g a screw driver with LEDs, a short indicator, exchangeable shafts (to increase or decrease the length of a screwdriver or to add a flexible shaft to screw from an angle) and so on and so forth. 

Now that it makes a nice clicky sound and has a nice color (but otherwise is just a regular screw driver like many other with same features)  its mostly a collectible at this pricetag rather than a tool simply because one that really needs such a tool and isnt concerned with collecting ltt merch or donating money to the channel has a million other options that cost less. 

Oh look what I found completely at random honest to god just was in my recommendations and the video isnt about the screw driver 

Adjustable shaft, LEDs, circuit test, wire stripper, wire bender AND also screws on its own AND has a ratched lol 😛  

The only thing missing is a short indicator (like to test if your ground is messed up touch the screwdriver and see if an indicator e.g a small light lights up) 

2 hours ago, papajo said:

and opt instead for the ltt screw driver.

Again a practical reason so  reasons like  "I want to support the channel"  or "I want a ltt collectible" or "color is nice" do not count. 

ok, the reason why I am saying IT support, 1, bunch of them watch ish, 2. we work with screws so much.

Want to hear my practical reason, when your in a space for a long time don't you want to buy a tool that is high quailty so you don't feel bad.

I bought a ifixit pro tech tool kit when I realized I wanted the tools and stay in it, I will tell you I use the crap out of my kit.

2 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

but besides professional tech use I would wonder if the warranty would cover screwing in screws into wood or using it on a car since this screwdriver is being sold as a tech product.

Hmm good question because linus had considerations with auto manufactoring input (alex).

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

7 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Where are people building PCs that corrosion of stainless is a consideration? 😝

Mr Beast under the ocean.

3 hours ago, papajo said:

Adjustable shaft, LEDs, circuit test, wire stripper, wire bender AND also screws on its own AND has a ratched lol 😛  

The only thing missing is a short indicator (like to test if your ground is messed up touch the screwdriver and see if an indicator e.g a small light lights up) 

Yes it has those but it's also an electric screwdriver, a different product category. 

It's like complaining that a Coupe doesn't have much storage, why would they design a coupe when they could design an SUV or a Truck and have tons of storage.

The way the screw driver has been designed is the same way all LTT products are designed. Linus needed/wanted a quality X so he went out and made X.

From experience adding more features to a tool doesn't make it a better tool. For example, I have a Leatherman Surge and I can safely say that every tool it has on it is worse than a dedicated version of that tool.

a few questions to point out in the video at 10:20mins mark...

1. i thought the black shaft was a limited edition for earlier buyers. i didn't know it was not durable enough for scratches. is it possible to change my order after knowing this?
  2. Linus mention the silver shaft have “protective oxide coating”, so I'm assuming the black one doesn't?

3 hours ago, Ottokyu said:

Linus mention the silver shaft have “protective oxide coating”, so I'm assuming the black one doesn't?

The black phosphate coating on the black one is the protective oxide coating. The silver shaft uses a nickel plating instead for the coating iirc.

Send an email to the lttstore support if you want to change your order. It doesn't ship for another 7 weeks so I'm sure they'd be able to adjust the order.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

8 hours ago, papajo said:

And is my entire argument for why I feel its a shame for them to spent so much time and money to focus on superficial marketing details (color tones, clicky sounds) instead of using that same effort and money towards adding utility and offering something that is not offered by the competition or at least is not as easy to come by as I said there are many screw drivers that have different features but not 1 that has them all or most of them. 

Well I think the bit that they spent the money and focus on was the quality.  It seems like you are also focusing on quantity over quality.  While it's okay in some respects, that isn't what they were going for.

At least from what I've seen, they were going for a solid screwdriver that felt good in your hand, had a good ratcheting mechanism, and would last.

Will need to see the assessment by other people on it, but my guess is that it's likely going to be similar quality to other brands at that price point (at a certain point though it's a diminishing returns type of deal).  With that said, I've come across my fair share of cheap ratcheting screwdrivers, and can attest to the fact that when you find one that is a good quality not only does it last but can be highly practical.

Overall if the quality is there, I can understand them spending the money on things such as the ratchet mechanism (and it seems like at least a large chunk of the time and cost was the manufacturer not getting the ratchet right...to the point that it bound up before.  So I'm gland money went towards getting that right).  This isn't specifically for building a PC, more like a general purpose screwdriver that you carry along with you (because you never know when you need a screwdriver...seriously, it's always handing having a screwdriver)

To @LinusTech not sure if it ever came up in the design of the screwdriver, but there might be a huge logical reason the ratchet is reverse on most others.  When screwing in, if in a tighter area with limited, the ratchet toggle could easily be rubbing against something.  In that scenario it would be a pain having the ratchet mechanism switch to unscrewing on you.

Then again, you do eliminate the event of trying to turn from the ratchet mechanism area...but I've found most people quickly learn not to turn from that area, vs the above scenario you can't get around (unless there is a ratchet lock switch or something)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

Honest question: as someone that is used to iFixit screwdrivers for anything PC related (it's small, you can extend it, it's practical) and that hasn't used ratcheting screwdrivers for anything - what's the appeal of the ratchet and/or bit storage mechanisms?

I get it it might be useful for professionals that have to do a job repetitively over and over and have bits always in the handle - but for regular joes like me that mostly will keep their tools at home and for things around home or inside their home - is there any benefit to a ratchet over the iFixit thing that you can freely rotate in your hand?

And is there any benefit to a limited storage mechanism that hollows out the hand over a proper screwdriver with a "full" non-hollow handle? I'm just trying to understand why all the hype about what to me seems like tools with extra points of failure. Not to mention that there are power tools nowadays that make regular screwing of things far easier. Even small electric screwdrivers for PC and electronics use.

It definitely is a preference I would assume, but judging by the volume of sales for the LTT screwdriver I am probably missing something about ratcheting screwdrivers and their appeal here.

The screwdriver exists  for the sake of branding. That is its reason for being. Criticising it for being about branding misses the point.

It's price also reflects a strange reality that there are plenty of people who really really want to throw money at YouTubers. Sometimes a lot of money. This way at least they can get something tangible.

18 hours ago, Birblover12 said:

I'm not a screwdriver enthusiast, so just curious, what makes this one so special that warrants the price tag? I know Linus puts a LOT of effort into making sure every little bit is made such that they're up to standard and good quality and such, but realistically would this screwdriver be better than, for example, the Klien Tools 15 in 1 screwdriver which has the exact same features (and more bits) and is a fraction of the cost?

I'm guessing whatever the reason ends up being, I'm not the target demographic. Though I do wonder who is? Like do you really get that much more with it over a bog-standard $20 one you can get the same day on Amazon? Said other drivers have features the LTT one doesn't (LEDs for working in dark environments, more variety of bits, etc.), so surely there's something I'm missing here.

Regardless, it's cool to see Linus making more practical things to add to the store then just apparel or mousepads!

it's not so much about being an enthousiast, it's that well-made tools cost a lot of money in general, and last a very long time so the "cost per usage" is very low.

so you find the product that suits your needs best (in the case of the LTT screwdriver, i assume that would be the EXTREMELY low back pressure for the ratchet, high back pressure is actually the reason why i never use the ratchet on my only ratcheting screwdriver) and use that one for the next 10 years.

yes, for the majority of people the "dollarstore" set of screwdrivers will be more than adequate, in the same way that a dacia sandero will be an adequate car for most people... but if you're in the car 8 hours a day for your job, it becomes a very easy choice to spend more for your own comfort.

Just watched the video and i think it is really well made. Crazy that it took 3 years to complete the whole thing even though they are not designing the screw driver from scratch. Congratulation and hope you manage to sell lots of these to pay for other stuff 😜

Edit: Mobile glitch. Ignore lol

Server - 10850K   |   Daily - 12700k  |  Gaming - Steam Deck

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

it's not so much about being an enthousiast, it's that well-made tools cost a lot of money in general, and last a very long time so the "cost per usage" is very low.

so you find the product that suits your needs best (in the case of the LTT screwdriver, i assume that would be the EXTREMELY low back pressure for the ratchet, high back pressure is actually the reason why i never use the ratchet on my only ratcheting screwdriver) and use that one for the next 10 years.

yes, for the majority of people the "dollarstore" set of screwdrivers will be more than adequate, in the same way that a dacia sandero will be an adequate car for most people... but if you're in the car 8 hours a day for your job, it becomes a very easy choice to spend more for your own comfort.

yep. i could have went with a small vehicle a few years  back. but i have to rent a vehicle for convention and such.

i did not need a  f-150 ether.

so i opted for a rogue suv. a tool that fit my need!

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

3 hours ago, manikyath said:

While I do agree that most people could get away with the "dollar store" variety, there is something to be said about dollar store ones having bad cam out...which in turn can cause a lot more issues down the road.  Having a cheap screwdriver cam out on a screw that's important to remove, and then having to grab the drill set to drill out the screw is never a fun thing to do.

So while most people could get away with dollar store, I still would recommend buying a slightly better brand than dollar store.  With that said, the LTT screwdriver I think is overkill for a lot of people.  It's the "if you want to support the channel" type, or if you use a screwdriver a lot and just want a quality one (that you don't have to worry about breaking)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

18 hours ago, GameRetro said:

It definitely is a preference I would assume, but judging by the volume of sales for the LTT screwdriver I am probably missing something about ratcheting screwdrivers and their appeal here.

Hype and "marketing".  Linus isn't a pro pc-builder...he's an entertainer that sometimes builds temporary ones for a video, sometimes not very well...but kids-be-impressionable and think he's like *the* authority on an ideal screwdriver.  Let's go ask a builder at Puget what they think of it vs. their current toolset.  Or an IT admin deploying servers all day every day.

" if I buy these hype Jordans I'm practically a NBA basketball player too"

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

On 9/2/2022 at 2:38 AM, AnonymousGuy said:

Hype and "marketing".  Linus isn't a pro pc-builder...he's an entertainer that sometimes builds temporary ones for a video, sometimes not very well...but kids-be-impressionable and think he's like *the* authority on an ideal screwdriver.  Let's go ask a builder at Puget what they think of it vs. their current toolset.  Or an IT admin deploying servers all day every day.

" if I buy these hype Jordans I'm practically a NBA basketball player too"

To be fair, this is likely the same demographic of people who buy the latest and greatest graphics card to to run games at ultra detail 4K 144Hz. People want to buy the best thing for no reason.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Disappointed to not see anything about being environmentally friendly, LTT should be lading the way is this area.

I ended up getting the Amazon $14 blue guy after watching the live reveal event. I want the LTT screwdriver but I don't know that I'd use it enough to warrant $70. 

1 hour ago, GodAtum said:

Disappointed to not see anything about being environmentally friendly, LTT should be lading the way is this area.

In the live stream on short circuit there was talking a bit more about the packaging and the box itself is cardboard and what not rather then there being plastic in the packaging. Other than reusing some of the plastics or using reclaimed metal there's not the most options for environmental friendly choices to be made for a screwdriver.

Sadly, there's no real point for fans from the EU to buy it or anything from the LTT store because shipping costs are way too high.

Just now, GodAtum said:

Sadly, there's no real point for fans from the EU to buy it or anything from the LTT store because shipping costs are way too high.

If you have a few friends to split the shipping, just organize a group buy.