SSD WD Blue SN570 vs Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus

purple_ttv
Go to solution Solved by Senzelian,
12 minutes ago, purple_ttv said:

just a question, my motherboard has a gen 4 slot so will gen 3 work in it with lower speeds?

Yes, PCI-e is backwards compatible.

I am looking to buy an SSD for my pc build, but I don't know if I need gen 4 from samsung. It is a 50 euro increase in price, the only difference is the writing speed - samsung has 3300 and WD has 3000. Is it worth the money guys?

3 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

For 50 euro difference go for the cheaper one. Also 970 Evo Plus is gen 3.

just a question, my motherboard has a gen 4 slot so will gen 3 work in it with lower speeds?

12 minutes ago, purple_ttv said:

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

thank you 🙂

4 minutes ago, purple_ttv said:

thank you 🙂

I forgot to mention, just in case you will have any issues during the installation of the drive, make sure that you check the BIOS settings. Not all BIOS' are automatically set to auto for the PCI-e generation for M.2 ports. So you might have to manually set it to auto or PCI-e Gen 3.

You may also want to check out Samsung 980. 

It has a much larger pseudo-SLC cache compared to SN570, so it can sustain high write speeds for longer time.  SN570 is a bit faster once the cache is full, but Samsung 980 would be better overall. 

SN570 review : https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/wd-blue-sn570-review/2

980 review : https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-980-m2-nvme-ssd-review/2

Look at the red and green lines in the picture below. 

Let's say you install / download a game - SN 570 has around 12 GB of SLC-cache and you fill that up at up to 3.3 GB/s but once that 12 GB is full, the write speeds drop to around 600 MB/s  

Samsung 980 can have up  to 160 GB of slc cache (for the 1 TB model) - it can fill that at up to 3 GB/s and once it's full, speeds go down to around 400-500 MB/s. 

So if you have a high speed connection, or you install a game from a backup, or a NAS... you could install a 50 GB game in seconds with a Samsung 980 drive. 

image.thumb.png.3761d4f41ff707f0d3851960b7d3e941.png

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

You may also want to check out Samsung 980. 

It has a much larger pseudo-SLC cache compared to SN570, so it can sustain high write speeds for longer time.  SN570 is a bit faster once the cache is full, but Samsung 980 would be better overall. 

SN570 review : https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/wd-blue-sn570-review/2

980 review : https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-980-m2-nvme-ssd-review/2

Look at the red and green lines in the picture below. 

Let's say you install / download a game - SN 570 has around 12 GB of SLC-cache and you fill that up at up to 3.3 GB/s but once that 12 GB is full, the write speeds drop to around 600 MB/s  

Samsung 980 can have up  to 160 GB of slc cache (for the 1 TB model) - it can fill that at up to 3 GB/s and once it's full, speeds go down to around 400-500 MB/s. 

So if you have a high speed connection, or you install a game from a backup, or a NAS... you could install a 50 GB game in seconds with a Samsung 980 drive. 

image.thumb.png.3761d4f41ff707f0d3851960b7d3e941.png

Oh wow, thank you so much, I think I will stick with the WD since I won't be doing insane video editing and if I need to download games I don't mind waiting a little bit longer. Thanks tho.