How to separate Windows license from the online account?

Filingo

I once did the mistake of doing a clean install using an online account. Ever since the license seem to only work when I use that online account?

Right now it says:

"Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account"..What?! It was a regular Windows 7 license

Is it safe if I just reinstall Windows and use the key? Or from now on it will only work if I sign in with this account?

You need to sign out of the microsoft account by migrating your windows account to a local user account then remove the device from your windows account

22 minutes ago, Sormicoft said:

You need to sign out of the microsoft account by migrating your windows account to a local user account then remove the device from your windows account

22 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Windows 11 and onward will require the online account...  So, may as well run with it.  

Oh no I'm on Windows 11 already.

Might do a clean install again for Windows 10.

Because once I somehow went to another PC here in the house and saw the same background image I use. It means others can have access to the stuff on my PC if they get my account?! That was so weird, that's why I wanna get rid of it

Well, for about 3 years win 10 will continue to be supported.  After that?  It's EoL and 11 will require a microsoft account. 

8 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Well, for about 3 years win 10 will continue to be supported.  After that?  It's EoL and 11 will require a microsoft account. 

It sucks I super dislike that because every single time Ive used this the account would randomly corrupt for no reason

18 minutes ago, Filingo said:

Because once I somehow went to another PC here in the house and saw the same background image I use.

Unless you change the setting, Windows will sync stuff like wallpapers between computers that are signed into the same MS account, yes. Windows 10 does this as well.

18 minutes ago, Filingo said:

It means others can have access to the stuff on my PC if they get my account?! 

If you have your stuff synced to OneDrive and someone got the account, maybe. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2022 at 9:17 AM, tkitch said:

Windows 11 and onward will require the online account...  So, may as well run with it.  

No, not really. This applies to Home only.
Windows 11 Pro can make a local account.
You have pick "Setup for Work or School" instead of "Setup for Home" in the OOBE Setup screen (the wizard you see after the OS has just been installed).

Then "Sign-in option", followed by "Domain join instead" (even though you are not going to do it).

On 8/19/2022 at 9:11 AM, Filingo said:

I once did the mistake of doing a clean install using an online account. Ever since the license seem to only work when I use that online account?

Right now it says:

"Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account"..What?! It was a regular Windows 7 license

You should be able to use your Windows 7 key to activate Windows 11.

On 8/19/2022 at 9:11 AM, Filingo said:

Is it safe if I just reinstall Windows and use the key? Or from now on it will only work if I sign in with this account?

Yes. You can use either. You should expect that the Win7 key won't work under the Windows Setup screen. You'll need to pick "I don't have one", but it should be working under Settings > Activation once Windows is installed, and you are connected online. If it fails, just contact support, and just explain you are re-installing Windows 11 due to an issue, and the product key you have is from Windows 11, and you took advantage of the free upgrade offer back in Windows 10 days and now Windows 11. They'll give a onetime use override code to enter, and you'll be good to go.