Home network upgrade (Ubiquiti)

Hello !

I have heard about Ubiquit's products for a while and was trying to get better network hardware for my house.

My ISP gave me a HUGE box which is an all-in-one box (router, switch, AP) that I would like to replace with something more compact, more powerful and with many more administrative capabilities. This box has a SFP+ Simplex Fiber SC connector where my internet comes in.

Since this would be my first hands-on experiment and I am not a network expert, however I do understand well the concepts, I would like to ask for some advice.

From what I understand I would need a router, a switch and some APs. The following are my current selection so far:

Router - For the router I am considering the UISP Router. Would I be able to connect my ISP's fiber cable to this piece of hardware given than I use a correct SPF+ adapter?

Switch - For the switch I am thinkin of the UISP Switch

I can see that the router and the switch both have RJ45 connectors. Is a switch really necessary? Can I just connect my wired devices to the router's RJ45s?

AP - For the access points that I want to deploy at my bedroom and living room I am considering the In-Wall HD

I would appreciate if somebody could shed some light to the configuration drafted here. I am most worried about being able to connect my fiber cable to any new hardware I buy and get internet connection. I would appreciate if we could keep the conversation only related to Ubiquiti's hardware.

Edited by BRabbit27

9 hours ago, BRabbit27 said:

worried about being able to connect my fiber cable to any new hardware I buy and get internet connection. I would appreciate if we could keep the conversation only related to Ubiquiti's hardware.

The issue is your ISP's box might not be able to be replaced. The box has a media converter built in. That media converter is kinda like the "Modem" part of it. It's how the ISP will authorize you on to the network. Many times they wont allow their Fiber cable to be plugged in to customer equipment. You will need to see if they support customer owned equipment. In some cases I have heard Fiber providers using PPPoE for authentication and that means you need to input a username and password in to the router to get a connection. 

I know in the case of AT&T who uses an all in one box, people have to keep their box, put it in to IP Pass Thru mode which passes the connection and Public IP thru their box in to the customers router. 

I would highly have a conversation with the ISP before you do anything. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.