Fractal Design Torrent vs Corsair 5000D Airflow

Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,
53 minutes ago, Andreas Pedersen said:

The only fans pulling air out are the ones in the top on the radiator and the one at the back, the 6 front fans are shooting air in.

That’s heavy overpressure then.  Push/pull adds about 20% over single fan on an air cooler.  I don’t know what the number is on a radiator.  Likely depends on the radiator. I would say it is probable the new case will be a lot more quiet.  I don’t know if temps will improve or not.  There’s a lot of open grillwork to exhaust overpressure.

Hi, I’ve been looking at the Fractal Torrent Full tower for a long time cause I really like the design, however I’m curious as to how much better the airflow is than the Corsair 5000D Airflow which I currently own, I’ve watched GNs video on the torrent however they only test them with the stock fans and the 5000D airflow comes with 2 crappy fans from factory where the torrent comes equipped with a full set. I’ve mounted 13 fans in my 5000D, wouldn’t the performance of the torrent be equally as good or maybe slightly better because of the huge 180mm fans? I certainly don’t want worse performance. 

Well 13 fans isn’t quiet, so there’s that.  Bigger fans have higher cfm but lower static pressure. They make a lot more noise at the same rpm, but they also don’t need to spin as fast. It will depend I suspect on how well everything happens to go with that particular build.  It might go better it might go worse.  The move I think (assuming need to know is intense and pockets are deep) would be to buy the new case but don’t get rid of the old one immediately.  Do your testing and Get rid of the one you wind up liking least.  Not the cheapest test, but it’s the only way to know for sure.  The problem with airflow is it’s fluid dynamics and that stuff is insanely complicated.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

It depends on your setup.

I have a 5000D and have added 8 fans to it and a 360mm AIO so 11 fans.

The case likes to trap air below the GPU so the CPU stays cool but the GPU runs hot.

It was fine with a EVGA 2080 ti and a Strix 3080 with 4 fans and the 360mm AIO. The extra fans are for the 3080 ti it has in it now.

I bought the case for a hybrid GPU build that never happened and I still think they are perfect for that.

All my Gaming computers use cases that have the PSU relocated like the Torrent. The only reason I did not get one is they were having issues when I was buying.

Instead I got Lian Li o11 dynamics with the last one being the EVO version. 

Like the Torrent they can have fans below the GPU so they do not have the same issues as the 5000D and the rest of my traditional cases.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

20 minutes ago, jones177 said:

It depends on your setup.

I have a 5000D and have added 8 fans to it and a 360mm AIO so 11 fans.

The case likes to trap air below the GPU so the CPU stays cool but the GPU runs hot.

It was fine with a EVGA 2080 ti and a Strix 3080 with 4 fans and the 360mm AIO. The extra fans are for the 3080 ti it has in it now.

I bought the case for a hybrid GPU build that never happened and I still think they are perfect for that.

All my Gaming computers use cases that have the PSU relocated like the Torrent. The only reason I did not get one is they were having issues when I was buying.

Instead I got Lian Li o11 dynamics with the last one being the EVO version. 

Like the Torrent they can have fans below the GPU so they do not have the same issues as the 5000D and the rest of my traditional cases.

Sounds like the way around that one is one of those cheapass goose neck fans that fit in a fan header on your mobo.  Break up that messed up corner.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Yeah the torrent is better but also 13 fans in a 5000d is basically guaranteed to give worse airflow than a normal layout.

Why?

Too much airflow disruption due to over or underpressurizing the case where fans cant do much anymore.

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yeah the torrent is better but also 13 fans in a 5000d is basically guaranteed to give worse airflow than a normal layout.

Why?

Too much airflow disruption due to over or underpressurizing the case where fans cant do much anymore.

Depends on where they are.  I’m sort of assuming a push/pull on a radiator for most of em

15 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Sounds like the way around that one is one of those cheapass goose neck fans that fit in a fan header on your mobo.  Break up that messed up corner.

If you have a like to a link to a fan like you describe please post it. 

I did this.

It is a 60mm Noctua that gets the air moving. I also have one on the CM H500 ARGB the has the EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080 ti. 

Spoiler

20211005_1115082b.thumb.jpg.72f5a1cbd3c3a0e3e2da3d6540e7605a.jpg

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

48 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Depends on where they are.  I’m sort of assuming a push/pull on a radiator for most of em

Oh im imagining like every single spot in the case is taken 😛

I don't have the full sized Torrent, I have the Compact. But.. looking at the Corsair vs Fractal.. the Corsair does look like a bit of a joke if you are strictly air cooling.

The 180s on the Torrent are 38mm thick, so they aren't like regular fans, they actually move some air.

I could get by with just running the two front fans. I do have some at the bottom, but they aren't needed.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

6 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I don't have the full sized Torrent, I have the Compact. But.. looking at the Corsair vs Fractal.. the Corsair does look like a bit of a joke if you are strictly air cooling.

The 180s on the Torrent are 38mm thick, so they aren't like regular fans, they actually move some air.

I could get by with just running the two front fans. I do have some at the bottom, but they aren't needed.

Regular fans move air too.  Really big fans have to be thicker for blade angle.  Think about those super thin fans on a video card.  It’s the ratio between height and thickness. A 180x25mm fan would be a super thin. 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Correct, Im using a push pull on my AIO

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Why?

Push pull on AIO and the rest is just mounted on the front, sides and rear.

image_2022-08-17_172441607.png

Yeah your airflow is gonna be kinda ruined by those side fans pulling air out. You are creating a side vacuum so the middle of the case's air just kinda goes all over the place.

You want to create a jet of air in a direction.

So my advice would be every single fan you have becomes an intake EXCEPT the back one. You might as well remove it too since the pressure from all those fans will do as much if not more as that fan could do for pulling out air.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yeah your airflow is gonna be kinda ruined by those side fans pulling air out. You are creating a side vacuum so the middle of the case's air just kinda goes all over the place.

You want to create a jet of air in a direction.

So my advice would be every single fan you have becomes an intake EXCEPT the back one. You might as well remove it too since the pressure from all those fans will do as much if not more as that fan could do for pulling out air.

The only fans pulling air out are the ones in the top on the radiator and the one at the back, the 6 front fans are shooting air in.

6 minutes ago, Andreas Pedersen said:

My bad the photo made it seem the side ones were doing it.

Id make the top go in. better cooling on your cpu and even more airflow.

53 minutes ago, Andreas Pedersen said:

That’s heavy overpressure then.  Push/pull adds about 20% over single fan on an air cooler.  I don’t know what the number is on a radiator.  Likely depends on the radiator. I would say it is probable the new case will be a lot more quiet.  I don’t know if temps will improve or not.  There’s a lot of open grillwork to exhaust overpressure.

Edited by Bombastinator

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Thanks, I will look into it.

If you have money for Fractal Torrent - take it, there is currently no better airflow case on the market. 

I have it since it's release, didn't even have to check any thermals. 

Looks better than most of the fancy RGB cases. Air cooling does a fantastic job.

If you buy it, don't change or add any fans, the fabric fans are designed to offer the best possible performance with THIS case. Rear fan isn't needed.

Case: Fractal Design Torrent;
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO 8GB;
RAM: G.Skill Flare X, DDR4, 16 GB,3200MHz, CL14;
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH D15;
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-AB350-GAMING 3;
PSU: be quiet! 700W PURE POWER 11CM 80+Gold;
SSD 1: SanDisk Extreme PRO 500GB PCIe x4 NVMe;
SSD 2: PLEXTOR PX-1TM9PeY 1TB SSD

IMO the only time u choose 5000d over torrent is for custom loop (aka me 😅

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini