ASUS joins Kingston in making SSD

crispy345

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/37333/asus-shows-off-its-first-ssd-the-hyperxpress-ssd/index.html

The ASUS Hyper Express is ASUS's new try at the SSD scene, with Kingston supporting them behind.

It's made up by two tested with two Kingston mSATA SSD's in RAID 0, which will make this thing very fast. 

Although, as said in the article it might be changed over to M.2 SSDs in a future version. 

It will sport the SATA Express interface, coming to ASUS's motherboards very soon.

Speeds are looking to be around in the 700Mbps area, though more is on the picture below. 

I think this is a interesting product by ASUS, nobody has really gone out with a something like it before (feel free to correct me),

Two SSDs in one enclosure could make an awesome product. 

More info is in the link on top. 

Pictures by TweakTown;

37333_03_asus_shows_off_its_first_ssd_th

37333_05_asus_shows_off_its_first_ssd_th

37333_06_asus_shows_off_its_first_ssd_th

EDIT: Fixed some misunderstandings

MEH

Huh. Interesting. 

Because they are in the same enclosure, the odds of the drive dying and you losing your data is effectively the same as having one drive I think. Meaning you get the speed of RAID 0 without the risk. 

That idea could make 3.5" SSDs a thing. That'd be epic. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I want this so bad, but I think it will be very expensive, but the price will drop when other manufacturers also use this design

dont really care about MB/s

what about I/O ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Huh. Interesting. 

Because they are in the same enclosure, the odds of the drive dying and you losing your data is effectively the same as having one drive I think. Meaning you get the speed of RAID 0 without the risk. 

how /why does it remove the risk? if one module fails, the other one is useless doesnt it work like that?

These negates the whole push for lower $ per GB.... Cool idea but bad timing and I don't think Asus's Raidr SSD was that popular either.

how /why does it remove the risk? if one module fails, the other one is useless doesnt it work like that?

Yeah, but how is that different from buying a single drive and it dying? Either way, you lose all your data. From a buyer's perspective, buying a single 240GB drive or this thing has the same loss chance. This one is probably more expensive, but it's faster too.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I wish they'd make it M.2, why include the adapter and then shaft it and use a wacky standard like SATAe?

we need new standart not sata but something like thunderbolt imagine 20 Gbit/s SSDs

The setup involved two Intel SSD 910s running over Thunderbolt 2 alongside two 2560 x 1440 panels. Peak performance to the SSD array was just under 1100MB/s, which Intel expects will be much higher once final hardware is ready.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7049/intel-thunderbolt-2-everything-you-need-to-know

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Is it just me or doesn't anyone else thing that the data express connectors and cables are really ugly. I wouldn't have it in my system if I had a sidepannel window.

Yeah, but how is that different from buying a single drive and it dying? Either way, you lose all your data. From a buyer's perspective, buying a single 240GB drive or this thing has the same loss chance. This one is probably more expensive, but it's faster too.

Actually the loss chance is double. If one drive has a 10% chance of failure this drive will have a 20% chance of failure since it is effectually just 2 drives in raid 0.

we need new standart not sata but something like thunderbolt imagine 20 Gbit/s SSDs

The setup involved two Intel SSD 910s running over Thunderbolt 2 alongside two 2560 x 1440 panels. Peak performance to the SSD array was just under 1100MB/s, which Intel expects will be much higher once final hardware is ready.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7049/intel-thunderbolt-2-everything-you-need-to-know

We do its PCI SSD's.

---

I dont think this can be to expensive as all it is is an enclosure with two laptop SDD's within it.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Make a regular SATA version ASUS, and my ASUS netbook will be very happy.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Actually the loss chance is double. If one drive has a 10% chance of failure this drive will have a 20% chance of failure since it is effectually just 2 drives in raid 0.

But the idea is you will never take those drives out of that RAID 0. I agree with you, I'm just saying, effectively, there is no better option. No way to make your drive failure chances go down (unless you want to break it by removing them, but who would honestly pay the money then do that?)

Plus I figure ASUS knows that about RAID 0 and will somehow account for it (i.e. make sure the Kingston SSDs have a low chance of failure as it is, which I'm sure they will, they are SSDs after all). 

I'm just saying, from a buyer's perspective, this is a better option than buying two SSDs yourself and RAID 0ing them. 

† Christian Member †

Asus sort of already made something similar to this (albeit "ROG branded"), the RAID-R.

I feel conflicted by this product, you know with the RAID 0 thing... 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

As long as they're using a good controller RAID 0 won't be that much of a concern. These aren't mechanical drives with high failure rates, SSDs are pretty reliable pieces of hardware.

This is similar to the raidr express which is really cool. I want to buy a raider express but I have no more open pci express slots so this could be an alternative.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Huh. Interesting. 

Nooooooo it's not like that at all. I can tape 2 drives together and I'd still have the same risk as this one. Also there really isn't much risk in raid 0 ssd's than no raid. The way ssd's irk is the flash is grouped up into multiple groups inside the ssd and they are all basically put into a "raid 0" multiple times. Ei 2 band flashes are grouped then those 2 become one and then they are grouped with another pair. Also the risk of of raid 0 would be having 1 flash chip die in your ssd and that would mean the other drives become corrupted. So that would mean a 2x120gb raid would have the same risk as a 1x240gb single ssd since the 240gb drive has twice the nand flash

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

ooh shiny. 

At least it's the right colour i want for my future SSD upgrade

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Nooooooo it's not like that at all. I can tape 2 drives together and I'd still have the same risk as this one. Also there really isn't much risk in raid 0 ssd's than no raid. The way ssd's irk is the flash is grouped up into multiple groups inside the ssd and they are all basically put into a "raid 0" multiple times. Ei 2 band flashes are grouped then those 2 become one and then they are grouped with another pair. Also the risk of of raid 0 would be having 1 flash chip die in your ssd and that would mean the other drives become corrupted. So that would mean a 2x120gb raid would have the same risk as a 1x240gb single ssd since the 240gb drive has twice the nand flash

And that's exactly how I imagined it in my head. Where the only difference between two SSDs in RAID 0 and one SSD is the extra controller. 

I just figured I might be wrong.

† Christian Member †

But the idea is you will never take those drives out of that RAID 0. I agree with you, I'm just saying, effectively, there is no better option. No way to make your drive failure chances go down (unless you want to break it by removing them, but who would honestly pay the money then do that?)

Plus I figure ASUS knows that about RAID 0 and will somehow account for it (i.e. make sure the Kingston SSDs have a low chance of failure as it is, which I'm sure they will, they are SSDs after all). 

I'm just saying, from a buyer's perspective, this is a better option than buying two SSDs yourself and RAID 0ing them. 

Sorry didnt understand what u mean in your first post, my bad :). I completely agree with you on "I'm just saying, from a buyer's perspective, this is a better option than buying two SSDs yourself and RAID 0ing them.", i think it will also have a nice benfit of not breaking the raid config when the drive is put in another compatible pc since the raid is controlled internally and for the less tech savvy person not having to deal with a raid array.

This is just for creating, testing, and benching the sata express standard since there are no drives that have it native.

This would be awesome! I'm really getting sick of my samsung 840 drives getting slower and slower every day.

(sneezes) "Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit"