Will a new case lower temps?

iGPR3

I currently have an Aldi Medion PC with a solid case. Inside is a 2060 super and an i5 10400, and they get pretty hot, mainly the GPU. Under light gaming, around 40% usage and at 1440p my card shoots up to 80 degrees and keeps under 83.

Im looking for a new case with plenty of space and good airflow as my current case has one intake where the CPU is and one exhaust with a fan. These are the only ones in the whole case, and theyre pretty small gaps for airflow. The rest of the case is solid. Do you think that something like the Lian Li Lancool Mesh II or the Corsair 5000X would be good for the price? Im trying to keep it under ~£150 and ideally I would like it to make a noticeable difference for the price. Would it be worth spending the extra money for the 5000X over the Mesh II as its better build quality? Are there any other cases I should know about?

Edit: I have a micro ATX motherboard and one HDD and SSD aswell.

Thanks in advance.

Could you take a photo inside the PC or link specific PC. Curious to see cabling. Especially how long PSU cables you got? Also have you checked that its actually thermal throttling? You can test with HWinfo64 for example. Normally a GPU wil keep boost clocking until it hits temp target. 80/83C is pretty normal for reference, even in light gaming, due to higher boost clock. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

depends on the amount of air the current case gets, and the quality of the components medion used.

the budget-name brands often use absolute bare minimal designs on the GPU and CPU cooler.

the biggest question here is.. does medion still use a standard sized motherboard that'll actually fit in a normal case?

Fractal has a good airflow central case design philosophy. GamersNexus on youtube does many in depth case reviews over roughly 7+ years. Fractal's many case redesigns always seem to rank highly for budget airflow. 

If you want VERY cheap, I recommend the Fractal Meshify C. Any Fractal meshify series should be a fantastic budget option. They're sleek and minimal. Can get in black and white. RGB or not. They have great cable management, even at the super budget end. 

I'm biased because I use the Fractal Meshify S2 (White). There are other options but, pretty hard to beat a Fractal at the low=budget to mid-budget range.

GamersNexus reviews you could watch to see how Fractal's cases have ranked in their unforgiving case testing over the years. NOTE: He does always compare the cases to others at the time the case was released, in all graphs and diagrams so you could look up the cases mentioned and compared if you were curious. He is probably one of the most credible case reviewers out there. 

I'll try my best to link in order (oldest fractal case = top) to newest case (bottom)

Fractal Meshify C: 

Fractal Meshify 2:

Fractal Meshify S2: 

Fractal Torrent: 

Fractal  Pop Air:

Thre's Fractal but also Phanteks, Lian Li, Corsair that have a lot of good "mesh" airflow cases

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

depends on the amount of air the current case gets, and the quality of the components medion used.

the budget-name brands often use absolute bare minimal designs on the GPU and CPU cooler.

the biggest question here is.. does medion still use a standard sized motherboard that'll actually fit in a normal case?

yeah, a lot of it is pretty minimal… I believe the motherboard is a micro ATX so yeah it should fit.

2 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

Could you take a photo inside the PC or link specific PC. Curious to see cabling. Especially how long PSU cables you got? Also have you checked that its actually thermal throttling? You can test with HWinfo64 for example. Normally a GPU wil keep boost clocking until it hits temp target. 80/83C is pretty normal for reference, even in light gaming, due to higher boost clock. 

now that i think about it i believe it was set for a temp target at around 83, but it seemed suspicious that it got as high as 83 at 40% usage. ive since lowered the target to 73 and its still pretty damn hot, 79 ish still. im just wondering if with a new case i could run at ~90% power and still be under 80 degrees? its difficult to explain but the case only has one intake and one exhaust, the rest is solid panels.

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

Thre's Fractal but also Phanteks, Lian Li, Corsair that have a lot of good "mesh" airflow cases

would you recommend the 5000D airflow or 5000X compared to something like the Lian Li Lancool II? as im trying to keep it budget friendly the lancool II seems like a great case but im not sure if the corsair cases would be better to save up for.

17 hours ago, iGPR3 said:

would you recommend the 5000D airflow or 5000X compared to something like the Lian Li Lancool II? as im trying to keep it budget friendly the lancool II seems like a great case but im not sure if the corsair cases would be better to save up for.

lancool II case is good same with the 5000D airflow or 5000X.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

19 hours ago, iGPR3 said:

The 5000D Airflow is slightly more efficien for cooling than the 5000X.Some prefer the asthetic of the 5000X though with the RGB fans and glass. 

I have the 5000D Airflow. these cases you can actually fit up to 10 x 120mm fans ( i have mine fully loaded with a triple AIO and 7 further 120mm fans)

I also have to recommend the Fractal Design torrent which has already been mentioned. That thing pushes a tonne of air with the large fans and wide fin design. 

All these cases are more than enough for an i5 & 2060, but if you want to upgrade in the future, you wont need a new case. 

You can see in my signature the high end specs that can be efficiently cooled in these cases. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

2 hours ago, Jarsky said:

The 5000D Airflow is slightly more efficien for cooling than the 5000X.Some prefer the asthetic of the 5000X though with the RGB fans and glass. 

I have the 5000D Airflow. these cases you can actually fit up to 10 x 120mm fans ( i have mine fully loaded with a triple AIO and 7 further 120mm fans)

I also have to recommend the Fractal Design torrent which has already been mentioned. That thing pushes a tonne of air with the large fans and wide fin design. 

All these cases are more than enough for an i5 & 2060, but if you want to upgrade in the future, you wont need a new case. 

You can see in my signature the high end specs that can be efficiently cooled in these cases. 

thanks so much, i’ll definitely have a look into the airflow model. also, would you recommend a RAM upgrade? ive got 16gb of pretty cheap RAM in dual channel but games like beamNG.drive take up loads of it, im considering an upgrade to 32gb of corsair RAM.

Airflow is determined by the size of the case, the volume inside said case, the fans speed, static pressure, Dust Filters, Radiators, or other obstructions. The act of cooling is determined by how much air can be evicted and replaced inside of the case. Finding a case with a decent air/mesh/solid ratio and balancing pressures and fan speeds can greatly improve cooling performance in any case. The smaller the case the less air that has to be moved. However, The components inside the case will cause some obstruction so be mindful of airflow and fan orientation.

Marline
Top Loop:
Thermaltake Pacific PR2U Dual 5.25" Bay D5 Pump/Resorvior Combo / EK ZMT Tubing / A mixture of Chrome Plated Brass Rotary Fittings Bit Fenix and Alpha Cool / Alphacool NexXxos 280mm 45mm Thick Copper Pass-through Radiator / Alphacool NexXxos 140mm 45mm Thick Copper Radiator / XSPC G1/4 1/2ID Chrome Compression Fittings / Freeze Mod AM4 CPU Waterblock / 3x Noctua Redux 140mm fans
The Bottom: 
Custom Made 2mm Thick Steel PSU Shroud / Aqua Computer Aqua Tube POM Reservoir / Alphacool Eisdeck 5 w/D5 655 Pump / EK ZMT Tubing / Alphacool 45° Chrome Plated Brass Rotary Fittings / Bitfenix 90° Chrome Plated Brass Rotary Fittings / Alphacool Chrome Plates Brass Pass Through Fittings / Koolance QD3 Quick Disconnects / Bitfenix Full Cover Water Block 2080ti / Alphacool NexXxos 200mm 45mm Thick Copper Radiator / Noctua Chromax 200mm Fan / The fluid I used for both was EK Cryofuel Acid Green
Computer Specs:
Thermaltake F31 Suppressor / Ryzen 9 3950X / 32gb G. Skill 3200mhz RAM / Asus B550-E motherboard / Zotac RTX 2080 ti 11gb / EVGA 1000 GS PSU / Samsung 970 Evo Gen3 NVMe SSD / Western Digital SN850X Gen 4 NVMe SSD / 4x PNY 120 gb SSDs in RAID 0 / 1x Spectre 512gb SSD / 1x Patriot 240gb SSD / 1x 1Tb Western Digital Black 7200RPM HDD / 1x 2Tb Seagate 5400RPM HDD / Windows 10

14 hours ago, iGPR3 said:

thanks so much, i’ll definitely have a look into the airflow model. also, would you recommend a RAM upgrade? ive got 16gb of pretty cheap RAM in dual channel but games like beamNG.drive take up loads of it, im considering an upgrade to 32gb of corsair RAM.

It depends on the apps you run. If you have a lot of game launchers, browser (chrome) tabs open, discord, etc...then yeah that ram can creep up. 

I run 32GB and I find having my PC running 24/7 with about 20 tabs open and all my game launchers, spotify, discord, etc...i idle around 40%, so I can easily hit 50-60% memory when i have some larger games open. I find 32GB to be "the new 16GB" for gaming PC's with the amount of multitasking that most of us have going on in the background. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

On 8/12/2022 at 3:10 AM, Jarsky said:

It depends on the apps you run. If you have a lot of game launchers, browser (chrome) tabs open, discord, etc...then yeah that ram can creep up. 

I run 32GB and I find having my PC running 24/7 with about 20 tabs open and all my game launchers, spotify, discord, etc...i idle around 40%, so I can easily hit 50-60% memory when i have some larger games open. I find 32GB to be "the new 16GB" for gaming PC's with the amount of multitasking that most of us have going on in the background. 

hey there jarsky! im home from london, heres a couple pics of my case. the opposite side is just a solid panel, i couldnt get a picture of it very easily. the rear has a fan for exhaust and so does the intake, although the small grill on the top doesnt have a fan. im leaning more towards the 5000X, do you think that I could lower my temps significantly? 

image.thumb.jpg.0cae92104fb453ef4b97ac5eab0c2150.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.2209a9e52accd3ec4c93fd0cdaf6e5fd.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.0a600d9093f7e069f5406b4ba2912667.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.868e10eb57a00287a9659c70a6bc87e3.jpg

IMO if yer not planning to get ATX mobo in the future, have a look at Fractal Pop Mini Air

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

I have an Aldi Medion PC with a 2060 super and an i5 10400, and i’ve boiled it down to a few choices on what case i’d like to get. my current case has one intake in the side with a fan, an exhaust with fan in the back and an exhaust in the top with no fan. the airflow seems pretty bad as its a solid case, so a new case seems extremely beneficial. im leaning towards the Lian Li Lancool II mesh RGB, or maybe some of Corsair’s 5000 cases, like the 5000D airflow or 5000X, although the airflow model only comes with 2 fans, whereas the lancool II and 5000X both have 3 fans. ideally i would like a case with good airflow that can support atx motherboards with plenty of room for future upgrades. 

excuse my cable management, i have tons of stuff hooked up to my pc. here is my current case, the other side not shown in pictures is just a solid panel.

image.thumb.jpeg.5a67056bfe3c2ed531dba5cb0930bd6b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fc358be1eabb516731e07d87fe60b3a6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8b3b985e38b8e2c0030335385945f3d0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b5feb9746c485a7d657d8b267c4901a9.jpeg

It does really not look great..

Anyway, before you swap the case can you check your board and PSU are standard form and connections ?

The Aldi stuff may be branded OEM with proprietary parts preventing you from swapping case (or anything else mostly)

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

It does really not look great..

Anyway, before you swap the case can you check your board and PSU are standard form and connections ?

The Aldi stuff may be branded OEM with proprietary parts preventing you from swapping case (or anything else mostly)

yeah, temps arent the best lol.

i’ll take a look into it, im pretty sure the motherboard uses standard form connections but the PSU might not be, thanks for the heads up.

1 hour ago, iGPR3 said:

yeah, temps arent the best lol.

i’ll take a look into it, im pretty sure the motherboard uses standard form connections but the PSU might not be, thanks for the heads up.

send pics it'll be crystal clear 🙂

3 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

send pics it'll be crystal clear 🙂

i’ll take a look tomorrow, will do 🙂

On 8/14/2022 at 8:25 PM, iGPR3 said:

i’ll take a look tomorrow, will do 🙂

Well I know that system. Same exact internal metal frame since 2010(youll find 5,25 inch bays for cd drives or at least the slots)

Basically its all standard atx stuff you can toss in another case. I also recommend you get a cheap decent cpu cooler as a replacement.

Is there a fan in the back of yours? If so you have the "high end" version 😛

3 hours ago, jaslion said:

Well I know that system. Same exact internal metal frame since 2010(youll find 5,25 inch bays for cd drives or at least the slots)

Basically its all standard atx stuff you can toss in another case. I also recommend you get a cheap decent cpu cooler as a replacement.

Is there a fan in the back of yours? If so you have the "high end" version 😛

you sure its atx? ive measured it up and it seems micro atx measurements. i do have a fan in the back aswell, but i wont be able to afford a good cpu cooler for a while. hopefully a new case can cool it down good enough for now. ive also checked up on a different post and my board and PSU will fit in another case, thanks anyways though! would you recommend a CPU upgrade after i get a new case and heatsink? and if i do should i buy an AMD mobo and processor after next gen releases or wait for intel next gen and upgrade things after that?