Epson programs printers to self destruct

rcmaehl

This is related to "absorber full" error? You can reset the error as many times as you want. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Its 2022 and printer as still a pain in the ass. Honestly if my mom didnt require one, we probably wouldn't have one at all. I was told Im on the hook to buy the next printer. Ill probably go laser because at the rate we print that printer will last forever. We print maybe a few times a year. Mostly we use the scanner. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 8/8/2022 at 10:22 PM, An0maly_76 said:

Won't get an argument from me there. I've never cared for inkjets. Too high-maintenance for me, and given the quality, the low-cost color capability just isn't worth the compromise and hassle.

+1

I bought too many junk inkjets. Now I bought a 450€ Brother LED printer. Was worth the money, cause it just works. 

9 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

+1

I bought too many junk inkjets. Now I bought a 450€ Brother LED printer. Was worth the money, cause it just works. 

There are a bunch of junk LED/lasers as well.  Honestly, the whole printer industry as a whole is pretty bad...mostly it boils down to terrible software and crazy high prices for toner/inks.

Actually sometimes their software is even worse.  Since you have a brother printer, and since someone on the forum mentioned they have the problem before this is the advise I gave them (when the printer refuses to turn on, and doesn't have any indication that there is power going to it).  "Unplug power (wait 30 seconds for the capacitors to drain), pull the paper tray out, hold the power button, plug in the power, wait about 15 seconds and release the power button. "  That is literally the sequence you have to do sometime (from what I can tell undocumented by brother unless you specifically had called for support.

I really do find that laser/led can be a bit of a pain as well, specifically if you buy generic toner and get a bad batch...which destroys the drum head, and fuser...then having to replace both of them...where fusers aren't always designed to be removed.  [Seriously a generic toner once spat out entire black pages thick onto the paper, ruined the entire thing].  Have also had a generic cartridge break inside and gnarl up the gears.  It's actually why I switched to the expensive version of generic toner (one with warranties on the product)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

2 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

Actually sometimes their software is even worse.  Since you have a brother printer, and since someone on the forum mentioned they have the problem before this is the advise I gave them (when the printer refuses to turn on, and doesn't have any indication that there is power going to it).  "Unplug power (wait 30 seconds for the capacitors to drain), pull the paper tray out, hold the power button, plug in the power, wait about 15 seconds and release the power button. "  That is literally the sequence you have to do sometime (from what I can tell undocumented by brother unless you specifically had called for support.

We temporarily allowed personal printers to be used with work computers during the start of COVID.

The number of printers that want a LOCAL ADMIN account and won't accept a DOMAIN ADMIN is TOO DAMN HIGH.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

On 8/9/2022 at 4:27 AM, HarryNyquist said:

Stop buying inkjet printers. Buy a laser printer.

Don't get me wrong, laser printers do the same crap and are just razor-and-blades as inkjet printers. It's just that toner carts are much better value for your money than inkjet ink carts, with the bonus of the toner still working perfectly even if you don't print something for a week.

The only good case for inkjet is photo printing, but even there you will lose less money long-term buy ordering photo prints online or doing them in a kiosk in a store.

I just get a brother printer that never complains about third party inkwells.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

15 hours ago, williamcll said:

I just get a brother printer that never complains about third party inkwells.

Yet*

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

2 hours ago, Caroline said:

>ecotank

They started selling that overpriced BS when they found out people was modding printers with actual external ink tanks, tubing and cartridge bodies to circumvent the SCAM "original" ink is, specially when it comes to EP$ON and home printers. Now, these DIY ghetto mods became very popular in third world shitholes -like mine- because it allowed people to actually use their printers, the downside of it was, well, the DIY part that added on top of EPSON scaremongering through their bloatware would "warn" users the use of "illegal and highly dangerous made in sweatshops located in communist countries" ink would "instantly void the warranty and destroy the printer" scared away normie users because they actually believe that (look, it says gullible on the ceiling), but they had the money to pay for the ridiculous "original" ink so it wasn't a big deal, the mods remained a niche thing for a while.

The company realised this was happening and what was their idea? yeah, do the mod themselves, L. O. L.

They made this

c32HuYh.jpg

into this

l120.jpg

Literally the same with an extra piece of plastic to make it look pretty. And what's a good way to market it? say it's green, eco friendly and other oh hurr durr we support the environment buy our product, yeah so they kept making frankenstein printers out of their old models until the new housings were ready and the whole unit began looking like an actual single piece. The ink scam kept going though, if you don't use their special $50/oz ink your printer is gonna be blown up by north korean malware, and their customers believe it. I can only pity them tbh.

And I say this owning an EPSON printer, but it's an FX-85 made in the pre-scam days, top Japanese quality, no bloatware, no complicated drivers, no inkjet bs, just print.

SCAM has a legal definition and Epson certainly don’t fit that. I agree the carts are very expensive, but you have the choice whether to buy them or not. The printer hardware is still to this day a loss leader at the lower end. So printer companies need somewhere to make profit and recover development costs. Would you be happier to have a 100% price rise on the printer and a huge drop in consumables? That is challenging as the market now have expectations on the price of the hardware. To change the model completely would be a hard sell. 

4 hours ago, Elijah Kamski said:

I really hate how every single printer company is like this.

Some are worse than others. Just look at the region coding of some laser printers where you cannot use consumables bought in a different region.

7 hours ago, Distinctly Average said:

Some are worse than others. Just look at the region coding of some laser printers where you cannot use consumables bought in a different region.

My gosh XD

On 8/9/2022 at 12:00 PM, wanderingfool2 said:

more jams

My hp would report jams with nothing in it, making it b.e.r. due to faulty sensors and cheap plastic parts.  All modern consumer printers are designed to fail, it's a sad state. 

On 8/11/2022 at 5:43 PM, rcmaehl said:

We temporarily allowed personal printers to be used with work computers during the start of COVID.

The number of printers that want a LOCAL ADMIN account and won't accept a DOMAIN ADMIN is TOO DAMN HIGH.

That's the way it should be. Dom Admin per best security practice shouldn't be part of the local admin group.

I love finding network lasers installed with Windows WSD mode drivers. Somebody does an automated search and install of a network printer, and they end up with half a dozen printer ports of UPD drivers none of which work fer crap. I come along, install a standard IP port along with the latest downloaded dedicated PCL 6 driver and its like the clouds parted or something and I'm a hero. 

I do occasional fine art printing and an Epson thats had its ink volumes tweaked can produce staggering images on fine art paper. 

Ink jet sucks for corporate printing though. HP used to make desktop lasers that cost $150 and were very reliable. Bought them by the dozen. Cheap lasers are a nightmare now.

Konica used to make color lasers that slopped on the toner like crazy and cost a fortune to run, but I loved the images. Reminded me of solid ink / tektronix. Most color lasers are pretty sterile image wise unless you can find the rare gloss laser stock paper. Heavyweight glossy laser paper looks nice, but its impossible to find. The idiot who runs glossy inkjet paper through a laser is less hard to find. Talk about a flaming mess.