Thermalright fans "information chart" - anyone knows it?

Filingo

I remember I once posted about Thermalright fans that some are loud. Then someone here commented a nice detailed comment with information regarding Thermalright better and worse fans (in terms of noise levels, not performance)

Because I have one of their fans which is loud - the TL-C12

And some of them he said were the silent ones

Which models are the loud and which are the silent? Because I was thinking about getting this fan:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PV7YX69?pldnSite=1&th=1

Ty!

Define loud.. A little bit of a hum? Some whoosh? Rattles? Resonance? I have TL-C12 Pro and to me its quiet 😄

My iPPC3Ks.. those mofos are loud. TY-143, I find to be quiet in comparison.. but it is still loud at top speed, sorta.

To move a little air you have to make a little noise. Silence and high performance almost never go hand in hand.

My current setup is the quietest I have had since  I got into overclocking in 2002 😄

👍

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

You can try to back the fan screws off a bit on the fan frames, if they are tight and the rubber becomes squished and thin, it cannot do the job it was supposed to do. Some frequencies may be passing through you're chassis?

Just grasping at straws 😄

I took some rubber feet off of my TL-D14X and glued them to my TY-143.. it looks a bit goofy but it really helped with certain frequencies. I used to find the fan highly annoying at high speeds, now its not so bad at all. Those Noctuna 3K's are annoying lol.. awesome but tough to live with all the time.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

First thing first, Thermalright did a fan bearing revision (if a fan has S-FDB version 2, it's more quiet, less weird noise. Always check on the official page near the bottom of the specs if it says version 2 for fan bearing). Next, they have three sets of fins designs, 2 are good, 1 is bad, that bad one is very bad for people with sensitive ears and/or looking for silence. Below is the most comprehensive, simple and effective practical guideline to choose the proper Thermalright fans:

Left to right, left picture (always good Thermalright fan), right picture (always bad Thermalright fan) starting with 120mm:

Left (TL-E12 wide submarine fin), Right (TL-C12 PRO slim straighter fins)

image.thumb.jpeg.5a53b286dbe059f79e730eb1c1eee8f5.jpegspacer.png

Left (TL-B12 tighter packed slimmer curled fins like Noctua), RIght (TL-C12 slim straighter fins + sticker on middle)

spacer.pngspacer.png

Moving to 140mm:

Left (TL-C14, wide submarine fins), Right (TL-C14X, slimmer straighter fins)

spacer.pngspacer.png

Left (TL-B14, tighter packed slimmer curled fins like Noctua), Right (TL-D14X, slim straighter fins just round frame)

image.thumb.jpeg.471bdd0a55ce6c31eb976195af08926a.jpegspacer.png

And last but not least 92mm:

Left (TL-B9, wide submarine fins), Right (TL-C9, slim straighter fins + sticked on middle)

spacer.pngspacer.png

50 minutes ago, Dogzilla07 said:

First thing first, Thermalright did a fan bearing revision (if a fan has S-FDB version 2, it's more quiet, less weird noise. Always check on the official page near the bottom of the specs if it says version 2 for fan bearing). Next, they have three sets of fins designs, 2 are good, 1 is bad, that bad one is very bad for people with sensitive ears and/or looking for silence. Below is the most comprehensive, simple and effective practical guideline to choose the proper Thermalright fans:

Left to right, left picture (always good Thermalright fan), right picture (always bad Thermalright fan) starting with 120mm:

Left (TL-E12 wide submarine fin), Right (TL-C12 PRO slim straighter fins)

image.thumb.jpeg.5a53b286dbe059f79e730eb1c1eee8f5.jpegspacer.png

Left (TL-B12 tighter packed slimmer curled fins like Noctua), RIght (TL-C12 slim straighter fins + sticker on middle)

spacer.pngspacer.png

Moving to 140mm:

Left (TL-C14, wide submarine fins), Right (TL-C14X, slimmer straighter fins)

spacer.pngspacer.png

Left (TL-B14, tighter packed slimmer curled fins like Noctua), Right (TL-D14X, slim straighter fins just round frame)

image.thumb.jpeg.471bdd0a55ce6c31eb976195af08926a.jpegspacer.png

And last but not least 92mm:

Left (TL-B9, wide submarine fins), Right (TL-C9, slim straighter fins + sticked on middle)

spacer.pngspacer.png

That was actually you! The comment I was talking about! -----> https://linustechtips.com/topic/1425627-cheap-cooler-fans-without-humming-noise/?do=findComment&comment=15358454

Thank you once again!!!!!! ( I had to dig through my posts because this comment was really similar to that one I was talking about )

Edit: The good ones aren't seem to be sold on Amazon right now

6 hours ago, freeagent said:

You can try to back the fan screws off a bit on the fan frames, if they are tight and the rubber becomes squished and thin, it cannot do the job it was supposed to do. Some frequencies may be passing through you're chassis?

Just grasping at straws 😄

I took some rubber feet off of my TL-D14X and glued them to my TY-143.. it looks a bit goofy but it really helped with certain frequencies. I used to find the fan highly annoying at high speeds, now its not so bad at all. Those Noctuna 3K's are annoying lol.. awesome but tough to live with all the time.

8 hours ago, freeagent said:

Define loud.. A little bit of a hum? Some whoosh? Rattles? Resonance? I have TL-C12 Pro and to me its quiet 😄

My iPPC3Ks.. those mofos are loud. TY-143, I find to be quiet in comparison.. but it is still loud at top speed, sorta.

To move a little air you have to make a little noise. Silence and high performance almost never go hand in hand.

My current setup is the quietest I have had since  I got into overclocking in 2002 😄

👍

10 hours ago, emosun said:

generally a quiet fan isn't going to move a lot of air , do you need the fan to move air?

thank you guys, It's like humming/buzzing at certain RPM otherwise it's very quiet and I like it. I just thought maybe they fixed even this part. But also I realized that, the much louder voice I hear is probably the GPU. It's PNY XLR8 fans of this exact card:

https://www.pny.com/geforce-rtx-3060-12gb-xlr8-gaming-revel-epic-x-rgb-df

6 hours ago, Filingo said:

Thank you once again!!!!!! ( I had to dig through my posts because this comment was really similar to that one I was talking about )

Edit: The good ones aren't seem to be sold on Amazon right now

Np, a longtime enthusiast user on overclock forum tested all kinds of new Thermalright in detail, and he's got sensitive hearing/extreme low noise requirements, so I'm just transfering the wealth of knowledge xD. The bearings/motor on the original was a cause of some noise issues, the new ones fixed it significantly. And the old impeller design and material used (and material strength) was not exactly top notch and caused some additional noise issues.

Any of the extreme versions didn't have these problems (from the start), and all those problems are greatly reduced with the submarine designs xD

6 hours ago, Filingo said:

Y that's me xD, same/similar explanation as in that post, I just did it with pictures this time so it's even more useful, nicer xD

18 hours ago, Dogzilla07 said:

Np, a longtime enthusiast user on overclock forum tested all kinds of new Thermalright in detail, and he's got sensitive hearing/extreme low noise requirements, so I'm just transfering the wealth of knowledge xD. The bearings/motor on the original was a cause of some noise issues, the new ones fixed it significantly. And the old impeller design and material used (and material strength) was not exactly top notch and caused some additional noise issues.

Any of the extreme versions didn't have these problems (from the start), and all those problems are greatly reduced with the submarine designs xD

Y that's me xD, same/similar explanation as in that post, I just did it with pictures this time so it's even more useful, nicer xD

nice, is there a review / video showing that improvement? It's fun to watch these type of videos lol

1 hour ago, Filingo said:

nice, is there a review / video showing that improvement? It's fun to watch these type of videos lol

Nope no video, and highly doubt there ever will be, just dozens of posts and user experience (he's been doing for 10 years on that other forum). He's earned the respect (does rudimentary methodology) for his non-formal skills in evaluating additions to his PC.

1 hour ago, Dogzilla07 said:

Nope no video, and highly doubt there ever will be, just dozens of posts and user experience (he's been doing for 10 years on that other forum). He's earned the respect (does rudimentary methodology) for his non-formal skills in evaluating additions to his PC.

ty! Is it in the overclockers UK forum? or the .net one? or something else 😄

7 hours ago, Filingo said:

ty! Is it in the overclockers UK forum? or the .net one? or something else

overclocker . net (no the uk one, not the one with the S at the end). Activity is very sparce nowdays, but it's still a treasure trove of useful information