Using a 6pin to 8pin adapter for my RX 6600

Od1sseas

The PSU DEFINITELY has enough juice for the system, its just that the PSU is gimped. The question is, can i use a 6pin to an 8pin adapter for my RX 6600? Plz answer the question and don't tell me to buy a new psu thanks

Just now, --SID-- said:

Brand and model of the PSU?

aerocool

1 minute ago, --SID-- said:

95% of all Aerocool PSUs is junk. What's the exact model?

vx450

7 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Very bad PSU. Replace it!

i used a lot of the so called "bad and garbage" psu's for over 5 years (in strong systems too) and never had a single issue so no, i will absolutely not replace my psu. i just want to know if it's possible to use an adapter

17 minutes ago, Od1sseas said:

vx450

here's the thing.. if your GPU needs an 8-pin plug, that means it wants the amount of power an 8-pin can provide.

if i've got the correct power supply up on aerocool's website, this thing is *not* built for a power hungry GPU.

case in point, your supposed 450 watt power supply can only provide 360 watts on the 12 volt rail, so some very crude assumptions say you'll be running that thing right on the very edge.

it's at best a dated design. i'm not gonna say it isnt gonna work, i'm saying that if you're about to spend 300 bucks on a GPU, it might be worth considering looking into a better power supply in the very near future as well.

no one on this forum is gonna "recommend" you use an adapter, you can go ahead and try one, it might be fine, it might give you hard shutdowns in peak load scenarios, or the power supply might eventually break. to me it's not so much about the quality of the power supply, it's the general rule of thumb that "if it doesnt have the necessary connectors, it's not made for the job."

i have plenty of cheap power supplies around, but i only use them where they belong: in systems that dont strain them beyond the designed spec.

8 minutes ago, Od1sseas said:

i used a lot of the so called "bad and garbage" psu's for over 5 years (in strong systems too) and never had a single issue so no, i will absolutely not replace my psu. i just want to know if it's possible to use an adapter

Is it possible? Yes. Is it a good idea? No.

A 6-pin cable is rated for 75w, while an 8-pin is rated for 150w. The RX 6600 should use up to 132w. Theoretically, up to 75w should come from the PCIe slot, but GPUs will typically pull more from the PSU directly. You'll likely be running more current through the cable than it is rated for, which is a potential fire hazard. You'll also pull more power from the PSUs connector than it is rated for. If it doesn't have an 8-pin, then there's a reason for that.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

here's the thing.. if your GPU needs an 8-pin plug, that means it wants the amount of power an 8-pin can provide.

if i've got the correct power supply up on aerocool's website, this thing is *not* built for a power hungry GPU.

case in point, your supposed 450 watt power supply can only provide 360 watts on the 12 volt rail, so some very crude assumptions say you'll be running that thing right on the very edge.

it's at best a dated design. i'm not gonna say it isnt gonna work, i'm saying that if you're about to spend 300 bucks on a GPU, it might be worth considering looking into a better power supply in the very near future as well.

no one on this forum is gonna "recommend" you use an adapter, you can go ahead and try one, it might be fine, it might give you hard shutdowns in peak load scenarios, or the power supply might eventually break. to me it's not so much about the quality of the power supply, it's the general rule of thumb that "if it doesnt have the necessary connectors, it's not made for the job."

i have plenty of cheap power supplies around, but i only use them where they belong: in systems that dont strain them beyond the designed spec.

The RX 6600 is not a power hungry GPU. It consumes 120w.

A 6pin connector (+the motherboard) can provide up to 150watts of power

I've seen (and used) power supplies that provide 360watts of power on the 12v rail that had an 8pin connector and i used RX 580s on those which consume more a lot more power than the 6600. Those PSUs were even worse "quality" that the Aerocool that im using right now

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Is it possible? Yes. Is it a good idea? No.

A 6-pin cable is rated for 75w, while an 8-pin is rated for 150w. The RX 6600 should use up to 132w. Theoretically, up to 75w should come from the PCIe slot, but GPUs will typically pull more from the PSU directly. You'll likely be running more current through the cable than it is rated for, which is a potential fire hazard. You'll also pull more power from the PSUs connector than it is rated for. If it doesn't have an 8-pin, then there's a reason for that.

Finally a straight to the point answer. Thank you

Both the 6 pin and the 8 pin use the same number of wires to carry the energy to video card. The extra 2 wires are just to tell the video card it's allowed to take up to 150w.

So of course, such 6 pin to 8 pin would work, as long as the power supply can provide the power - keep in mind that you have other things besides the video card like the cpu that consume power from 12v.

Keep in mind that these budget power supplies are often specc'ed / rated at 30c ambient temperature. If the ambient temperature inside the case and outside the case (air intake) is higher than 30c you often have to derate the power supply, usually by 10-20%.

Yeah, it will probably work, even with a cpu consuming 100w  if you have only a couple storage drives and fans, it's unlikely your system's gonna consume more than 250w, leaving some reserves up to 360w maximum advertised.

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Both the 6 pin and the 8 pin use the same number of wires to carry the energy to video card. The extra 2 wires are just to tell the video card it's allowed to take up to 150w.

Not exactly, that logic is only true for a PCIe 6+2 pin, the single 6 pin cables by spec can ditch one of the 12V lines and just be unpopulated. On a bargain basement tier unit like this one I'd expect that pin to be unpopulated. The connector is still severely underspec'd, it still should be able to handle ~200W with just those 2 12V lines (assuming they didn't super cheap out on the cabling), but it doesn't have the same current carrying capacity as a true PCIe 6+2 pin. 

1 hour ago, Od1sseas said:

i will absolutely not replace my psu.

Well, good luck then. I don't recommand to use such bad PSU in any system.

10 hours ago, Od1sseas said:

vx450

Yikes React Yikes GIF - Yikes React Yikes Disturbed React - Discover &  Share GIFs

Is it possible? Technically yes. But on a vx450 thats a hard pass. Thisbis because its made as cheaply as possible including the wiring. Do not expect a single extra cent to be spent on it. So you asking more than the 6pin is officially rated for is just not going to go well.

This combined with the psu flat out bullshitting about its max wattage by doing the ol 12c + 5v + 3v trick, it being a very old design that wasnt good back in the day and it having no protections at all basically means that when this thing fails your system dies too.

So could you do it? Yes but you really really should not as this psu is absolutly not made for it.

3 hours ago, jaslion said:

This combined with the psu flat out bullshitting about its max wattage by doing the ol 12c + 5v + 3v trick, it being a very old design that wasnt good back in the day and it having no protections at all basically means that when this thing fails your system dies too.

It's not bullshitting if it can output a combined 450W on the 12V, 5V and 3.3V rails. The total maximum output of the power supply would indeed be 450W.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

9 minutes ago, Spotty said:

It's not bullshitting if it can output a combined 450W on the 12V, 5V and 3.3V rails. The total maximum output of the power supply would indeed be 450W.

Id say it really depends as the norm now is to say the max output on the 12v rail not adding 3v or 5v. The aerocool would have a theoretic output of 360w then.

13 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Id say it really depends as the norm now is to say the max output on the 12v rail not adding 3v or 5v. The aerocool would have a theoretic output of 360w then.

That's an incorrect way of looking at it. Modem (better) power supplies provide the minor rails by using DC-DC conversion to convert 12V to 5v & 3.3v. The power supply needs to be able to output the total power on the 12V rail as that is what is used to generate the minor rails. That's why better power supplies with DC-DC are often rated for maximum output on 12V. 

The maximum combined output rating of a power supply is the maximum combined output of the power supply across all of the rails. If a power supply can simultaneously do 350W on 12V and 100W on 5V & 3.3V its total combined output is 450W and it would be accurate to label it as such. They're not at all "flat out bullshitting" by stating the power supply has a combined maximum output of 450W. If you don't understand what "maximum combined power" means then that doesn't mean they're lying. The maximum output of the 12V, 5V, 3.3V individually are listed on the same table that lists the maximum combined power on the label and product website, they're not misleading anybody the information is clearly presented.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

55 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Also in addition (actually not in addition, confirming) what Spotty says, the modern power supplies that have dc-dc conversion for the 3.3v and 5v don't magically get that input power from thin air. It's taken from the 12v.

For example, let's say computer consumes 200w on 12v , 20w on 3.3v and 30w on 5v 

Assuming the dc-dc converters are 95% efficient, that means the dc-dc converters will take 100 x 30 / 95 = 31.5w from 12v to produce 5v  and 100x20/95 = 21w to produce 3.3v so a total of 52.5 watts.   The consumption is actually 252.5 watts on the 12v rail. 

The power supply may be advertised as 450w with 450w available on 12v, but in actual use, you substract those 52.5w from the 12v, leaving you with 400 watts available on 12v. 

So use of dc-dc converters is still a good idea, because you don't have 100-150w permanently reserved for 3.3v and 5v, when modern computers don't use that much on these voltage rails. Also you get better efficiency and better regulation compared to old system. 

6 hours ago, jaslion said:

Unfortunately, at the end of the day, there's no accountability in this field. Nothing is in place to ensure that a PSU can actually do ANYTHING that's printed on the label.