Selling PC without wiping HDD, what to delete?

da na

Selling an old PC of mine, it has several older games on the hard drive so I can't wipe the hard drive. (I no longer have physical media of said games, already sold separately, and I don't want to sign into a Steam account or something to redownload them. Idea is, I'll sell the PC with the games to get a little more for it and hopefully the buyer will have a little more fun with it. I'd also love to not reinstall the OS, as drivers are no longer on the manufacturer website.) However I used it for web browsing for a while. I assume just uninstalling Firefox isn't enough - what files do I need to delete to make sure none of my passwords, etc are still on there? Browsing history is fine but login info is something I'd love to not have compromised. Any records of that stored anywhere else than the browser program directory? I'll manually delete all directories in AppData and Program Files related to the browser, change the account name, etc but is that secure enough? Mechanical HDD, so a little less risk of info being as easily recovered (from my testing recovering data from HDDs yields less successful results than flash). 

2 hours ago, Neroon said:

Why not copy the stuff you need on a separate drive, format it, reinstall and copy those files back on it.

Personally I wouldn't risk it unless I would be sure I can wipe it properly.

Ah, good idea. Might end up doing that instead.

Just wipe the whole thing. You're not going to get any more money for the PC because of some installed titles.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I woould get your files off to another drive, and if possible do a restore of windows using the built in wiping tools.

Saves you also from future tech support for said machine as you sold a blank slate.

Anyone buying it is most likly going to have different tastes in games than you, so will want to install there own stuff regardless.

7 hours ago, Mel0n. said:

? Mechanical HDD, so a little less risk of info being as easily recovered (from my testing recovering data from HDDs yields less successful results than flash). 

I've always had better luck recovering data from a harddrive vs flash. 

On 7/23/2022 at 8:45 PM, Mel0n. said:

Selling an old PC of mine, it has several older games on the hard drive so I can't wipe the hard drive. (I no longer have physical media of said games, already sold separately, and I don't want to sign into a Steam account or something to redownload them. Idea is, I'll sell the PC with the games to get a little more for it

That's called piracy my friend. And in this case you are actually profiting off it which is as bad as it gets.

Just now, dilpickle said:

That's called piracy my friend. And in this case you are actually profiting off it which is as bad as it gets.

Isn't it the same as selling a game that I bought? I don't think the government will come after me for those secondhand copies of Quake III and Unreal Tournament I bought.

2 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

Isn't it the same as selling a game that I bought? I don't think the government will come after me for those secondhand copies of Quake III and Unreal Tournament I bought.

You can't sell the same game twice.

18 hours ago, Mel0n. said:

Nope. You already sold the game. Now you'd be selling copies of said games without license. Besides, I doubt anyone is going to pay more for a copy of Quake III. Most already have it, or aren't interested, and those who are but don't have may as well pirate it on their own, or even just buy.

On 7/23/2022 at 6:45 PM, Mel0n. said:

Mechanical HDD, so a little less risk of info being as easily recovered (from my testing recovering data from HDDs yields less successful results than flash). 

That's typically not the case.  HDDs, even after formatting, I have found can be recovered quite a bit.

HDDs and flash run on a very similar concept when "deleting" a file.  They just delete the thing pointing to it...in the case of a HDD though it's worse, even if you write over all the data with lets say 1's you can still some data.  It's why when selling anything with a HDD in it, the best solution is not to, with the next best solution being to properly overwrite everything on the drive.  When I say properly overwrite everything, use something that overwrites the entire harddrive with random 1's and 0's.  That way it gets it to a point that recovering is less likely.  Doing it twice though makes it a lot harder.

I mean the next best thing would be to format it with full 1's or full 0's.  Here is a good instruction for a 2 pass https://www.lifewire.com/use-the-format-command-to-write-zeros-to-a-hard-drive-2626162  the command was "format [drive]: /fs:NTFS /p:2" but note this formats and completely wipes.

If formatting really isn't an option (but in this case it really is an option to format), then you delete all the important files that you want, then completely fill the harddrive full of temp files, delete the temp files and do that again.  This will at least make most recovery software unable to recover files.

The worst thing is just deleting a file, as there might be registry stuff that lingers as well and data recovery is a lot easier

The tl;dr if you are wanting to sell something with a harddrive still on it and are asking what data to delete to protect passwords, etc the correct answer is format it overwriting the data (not quick format, but a proper format where all data is overwritten with random 1's and 0's).

On 7/23/2022 at 6:45 PM, Mel0n. said:

I no longer have physical media of said games, already sold separately, and I don't want to sign into a Steam account or something to redownload them. Idea is, I'll sell the PC with the games to get a little more for it and hopefully the buyer will have a little more fun with it. I'd also love to not reinstall the OS, as drivers are no longer on the manufacturer website

That is also boarding on illegal...like no matter what it would be a civil infraction, one where you could be sued for privacy...but intentionally selling games and then re-selling it via having it installed on another system starts entering into actual criminal level for laws...at the very least it kicks you into the distributor/commercial form of copyright theft, which if you are in Canada and US pretty much opens you up to expensive lawsuits (if anyone were to find out, and decide to go after you)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

On 7/24/2022 at 2:45 AM, Mel0n. said:

Selling an old PC of mine, it has several older games on the hard drive so I can't wipe the hard drive. (I no longer have physical media of said games, already sold separately, and I don't want to sign into a Steam account or something to redownload them. Idea is, I'll sell the PC with the games to get a little more for it and hopefully the buyer will have a little more fun with it. I'd also love to not reinstall the OS, as drivers are no longer on the manufacturer website.) However I used it for web browsing for a while. I assume just uninstalling Firefox isn't enough - what files do I need to delete to make sure none of my passwords, etc are still on there? Browsing history is fine but login info is something I'd love to not have compromised. Any records of that stored anywhere else than the browser program directory? I'll manually delete all directories in AppData and Program Files related to the browser, change the account name, etc but is that secure enough? Mechanical HDD, so a little less risk of info being as easily recovered (from my testing recovering data from HDDs yields less successful results than flash). 

Just don’t sell it with the HDD? 

Other than that just use DBan on a HDD, the games aren’t worth anything and it’s piracy. 

1 minute ago, Imbadatnames said:

Just don’t sell it with the HDD? 

Other than that just use DBan on a HDD, the games aren’t worth anything and it’s piracy. 

I said why I didn't want to sell it without the HDD in the original post...

28 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

I said why I didn't want to sell it without the HDD in the original post...

I addressed it. If you sell the HDD with games loaded onto it with the intention of it increasing the systems value then you’re in violation of piracy laws. 

Just now, Imbadatnames said:

I addressed it. If you sell the HDD with games loaded onto it with the intention of it increasing the systems value then you’re in violation of piracy laws. 

Plus, not wanting to reinstall the OS and reactivate...

You could try following at your own risk:

Create a new user account with admin rights

Delete your account

Then fill the HD with any random data you can. That should overwrite anything that was deleted from your user profile. Once filled you can delete the filler.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 hours ago, Mel0n. said:

Put me in the camp of don't sell it with the HD.   Your selling computer hardware.  Leave it at that.  Your not selling support to maintain a working PC to the new owner.  In other words, its up to them to figure out how they want to use it.  (linux, win10 etc)

1. Not worth the risk. Don't do this, there really aren't any material benefits.
2. If you do this, which you shouldn't, you'd want to run a data shredder app afterwards.

3. Don't post about doing questionable things online, attached to some sort of name/moniker and your IP address along with other potentially identifiable info.

10 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

That's typically not the case.  HDDs, even after formatting, I have found can be recovered quite a bit.

Quick formatting, yes. Full formatting no.

Outside of crazy CIA stuff for a theoretical attack that probably won't work anymore since HDDs are literally 1000x denser than in the 1990s, there's no reliable way of recovering data from an actually formatted drive (or better yet a drive that's had a bunch of random 1/0s written).

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

1 hour ago, cmndr said:

Quick formatting, yes. Full formatting no.

Depends what type of full formatting.  If it's random 1's and 0's then yea a lot less likely...but if it's just a full 1's or full 0's write, then some of the software can still do it (but you will start getting a lot more corruptions)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

3 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

Depends what type of full formatting.  If it's random 1's and 0's then yea a lot less likely...but if it's just a full 1's or full 0's write, then some of the software can still do it (but you will start getting a lot more corruptions)

Quick formatting, as you alluded to, won't do much. Very recoverable.

Full formatting, even if it's all 1s, makes it almost impossible to get something usable. There IS a myth from like 30 years ago that it's recoverable but...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_remanence#Feasibility_of_recovering_overwritten_data

Peter Gutmann investigated data recovery from nominally overwritten media in the mid-1990s. He suggested magnetic force microscopy may be able to recover such data, and developed specific patterns, for specific drive technologies, designed to counter such.[4] These patterns have come to be known as the Gutmann method.

Daniel Feenberg, an economist at the private National Bureau of Economic Research, claims that the chances of overwritten data being recovered from a modern hard drive amount to “urban legend”.[5] He also points to the “18+12-minute gapRose Mary Woods created on a tape of Richard Nixon discussing the Watergate break-in. Erased information in the gap has not been recovered, and Feenberg claims doing so would be an easy task compared to recovery of a modern high density digital signal.

As of November 2007, the United States Department of Defense considers overwriting acceptable for clearing magnetic media within the same security area/zone, but not as a sanitization method. Only degaussing or physical destruction is acceptable for the latter.[6]

On the other hand, according to the 2014 NIST Special Publication 800-88 Rev. 1 (p. 7): “For storage devices containing magnetic media, a single overwrite pass with a fixed pattern such as binary zeros typically hinders recovery of data even if state of the art laboratory techniques are applied to attempt to retrieve the data.”[7] An analysis by Wright et al. of recovery techniques, including magnetic force microscopy, also concludes that a single wipe is all that is required for modern drives. They point out that the long time required for multiple wipes “has created a situation where many organizations ignore the issue [altogether] – resulting in data leaks and loss.”[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_recovery#Overwritten_data

After data has been physically overwritten on a hard disk drive, it is generally assumed that the previous data are no longer possible to recover. In 1996, Peter Gutmann, a computer scientist, presented a paper that suggested overwritten data could be recovered through the use of magnetic force microscopy.[8] In 2001, he presented another paper on a similar topic.[9] To guard against this type of data recovery, Gutmann and Colin Plumb designed a method of irreversibly scrubbing data, known as the Gutmann method and used by several disk-scrubbing software packages.

Substantial criticism has followed, primarily dealing with the lack of any concrete examples of significant amounts of overwritten data being recovered.[10] Although Gutmann's theory may be correct, there is no practical evidence that overwritten data can be recovered, while research has shown to support that overwritten data cannot be recovered.[specify][11][12][13]

One bit to keep in mind is that here and now HDDs are around 1000x as dense as they were 30 years ago. Think 20TB HDDs instead of 20GB HDDs. The equipment to read stuff is NOT 1000x more resolving.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

12 hours ago, Mel0n. said:

You shouldn’t need to reactivate  a windows licence if most of the components are the same

On 7/25/2022 at 4:19 PM, dilpickle said:

ok bootlicker 💀 

It ain’t worth it bruv mate.

A person trying to buy systems to scrape data will be all over it. 

wipe those drives, reinstall bare bones and let the system use windows default

drivers and an unregistered windows, who needs custom desktop images anyways?

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

I would want a discount for the extra work it would take to get your old stuff off my new computer.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

• 2 weeks later...

Windows 10 offers a Factory Wipe option. I would personally just go with that if Im selling it to someone I dont know.

Marline
Top Loop:
Thermaltake Pacific PR2U Dual 5.25" Bay D5 Pump/Resorvior Combo / EK ZMT Tubing / A mixture of Chrome Plated Brass Rotary Fittings Bit Fenix and Alpha Cool / Alphacool NexXxos 280mm 45mm Thick Copper Pass-through Radiator / Alphacool NexXxos 140mm 45mm Thick Copper Radiator / XSPC G1/4 1/2ID Chrome Compression Fittings / Freeze Mod AM4 CPU Waterblock / 3x Noctua Redux 140mm fans
The Bottom: 
Custom Made 2mm Thick Steel PSU Shroud / Aqua Computer Aqua Tube POM Reservoir / Alphacool Eisdeck 5 w/D5 655 Pump / EK ZMT Tubing / Alphacool 45° Chrome Plated Brass Rotary Fittings / Bitfenix 90° Chrome Plated Brass Rotary Fittings / Alphacool Chrome Plates Brass Pass Through Fittings / Koolance QD3 Quick Disconnects / Bitfenix Full Cover Water Block 2080ti / Alphacool NexXxos 200mm 45mm Thick Copper Radiator / Noctua Chromax 200mm Fan / The fluid I used for both was EK Cryofuel Acid Green
Computer Specs:
Thermaltake F31 Suppressor / Ryzen 9 3950X / 32gb G. Skill 3200mhz RAM / Asus B550-E motherboard / Zotac RTX 2080 ti 11gb / EVGA 1000 GS PSU / Samsung 970 Evo Gen3 NVMe SSD / Western Digital SN850X Gen 4 NVMe SSD / 4x PNY 120 gb SSDs in RAID 0 / 1x Spectre 512gb SSD / 1x Patriot 240gb SSD / 1x 1Tb Western Digital Black 7200RPM HDD / 1x 2Tb Seagate 5400RPM HDD / Windows 10