Face Unlock Not Just for Humans Anymore

GhostRoadieBL

Summary

Rounding out the category of "I guess someone will buy it" products comes the Petvation system, a pet door with facial recognition for your furry (or not furry) cohabitants.

Previously there have been "keyed" pet doors which has the animal wear a specific device on their collar which unlocks the pet door when they approach. They tend to be bulky and potentially insecure if a very zealous intruder decided to track down your pet and try to gain home access through the pet door. (paparazzi be crazy)

Petvation's system has you bolt on a large aluminum panel on either side of the door with a 120degree IR+normal vision camera monitoring activity waiting for the pet to leave. an AI chip runs the animal's face through facial recognition (offline) using multiple-image full-body animal recognition, these algorithms improve over time with repeated use. 

pet2.JPG.67e7104e0e2ddb6883cfcd1d413ed954.JPG

Quotes

in addition to identifying cats and dogs, the system can also recognize all manner of critters, ranging from raccoons to ducks and foxes to snakes, so the entry point will remain firmly closed to unwanted guests.

The company says that three independent safety mechanisms are employed to "keep your pet safe from head to tail." First, sensors detect and monitor the cat or dog as they approach and pass through. There's also a light-based anti-pinch mechanism in place to ensure that paws or tails aren't caught in a descending door. And finally the system checks the status of all sensors during operation and will enter a safe mode if issues are detected, and inform the human in charge via a companion mobile app that the Petvation needs some attention.

pet1.JPG.93b9b0a37e31fe75563e10251e23e534.JPG

My thoughts

I have to admit it's ambitious to think a computer can be trained to identify the difference between two same breed animals without countless errors but between pets and wildlife it's likely to be pretty good. Getting your pet to look at a camera is hard enough, getting them to not constantly ping your phone by walking by is going to be hilarious for the customer support staff when grandma's cat takes a nap in front of the door.

It's definitely an interesting project to see different identification tech being used for more than just people surveillance and semi-secure phone unlocking.

Sources

https://newatlas.com/pets/petvation-smart-pet-door/

https://petvation-the-smart-automatic.kckb.st/055058c2

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

Well it seems the timeline for the cat uprising has been moved up.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

10 hours ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

Previously there have been "keyed" pet doors which has the animal wear a specific device on their collar which unlocks the pet door when they approach. They tend to be bulky and potentially insecure if a very zealous intruder decided to track down your pet and try to gain home access through the pet door. (paparazzi be crazy)

Wear a spesific device on the collar that is bulky to unlock pet door?

I have never heard of that before.

My cat have a microship under his skin in the neck that has his ID stored on it, plenty cat doors can detect and read off it and use that to know it's the correct cat.

Don't need a collar at all.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

12 minutes ago, Mihle said:

My cat have a microship under his skin in the neck that has his ID stored on it, plenty cat doors can detect read off that one and use that to know it's the correct cat.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Maybe it could be useful if it doesn't work when they are holding a bird etc in their mouth lol

18 minutes ago, Mihle said:

My cat have a microship under his skin in the neck that has his ID stored on it, plenty cat doors can detect read off that one and use that to know it's the correct cat.

Can you also pay with your cat at the store if you don't have a credit card with you? 

31 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Can you also pay with your cat at the store if you don't have a credit card with you? 

BRB, asking my bank for a cat to replace my card.

Any idea what breeds VISA works with?

Imagine your cat not making specific captured face for phone unlock.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Nice, so now I can finally kidnap my neighbour's cat to unlock the  phone.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

4 hours ago, Mihle said:

My cat have a microship under his skin in the neck that has his ID stored on it, plenty cat doors can detect and read off it and use that to know it's the correct cat.

I based that off the article and  company's claims

my dog doesn't have/never will have their own door for leaving the house unattended so I lack some knowledge of the different options

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

That is the most ghetto looking contraption. I'd hate having a cord hanging over the door like that. Why not just use batteries. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

15 hours ago, Mihle said:

My dog is also chipped but the range of the chip is extremely underwhelming. The Vet has to press the scanner on the skin in the exact position of the chip for it to be readible, sometimes they even have difficulty locating the chip (it moves with time) so I don't think the normal chip we use in AUS/NZ (ISO FDX-B) is soutable for this applicatin. The max reading distance is around 20cm (1 banana for Americans) when implanted but in practise can be much less. 
Tried to pay with the tag once, but vigirously swiping my dog in the NFC reader at a restuarant is frowned upon, apparently. 

On 6/23/2022 at 3:30 AM, ouroesa said:

My dog is also chipped but the range of the chip is extremely underwhelming. The Vet has to press the scanner on the skin in the exact position of the chip for it to be readible, sometimes they even have difficulty locating the chip (it moves with time) so I don't think the normal chip we use in AUS/NZ (ISO FDX-B) is soutable for this applicatin. The max reading distance is around 20cm (1 banana for Americans) when implanted but in practise can be much less. 
Tried to pay with the tag once, but vigirously swiping my dog in the NFC reader at a restuarant is frowned upon, apparently. 

Have no idea what standard my cats microship is, but probably some iso standard, the door have worked perfectly.

The part of it that reads the chip probably around 20cm away at most from the chip when it reads it, don't know exactly, bit it don't need to be able to read further away either.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking