Your most favourite tech items?

thetmabird

Hey y'all. Was thinking maybe we could do a thread about what tech you own and love? What do you love the most and why? 

I'll go first: 

BenQ XR3501 35" Curved 144Hz monitor i bought at the age of 15, in 2016. Been with me from my GTX 660M laptop, through all my different crap to my current 12th gen i5 3080ti openis nasa computer.

But for real, best money I have ever spent in my entire life. Got it for around 800$ at the time, within the first 2-3 years alone i played 4000 hours of LoL and CSGO. Been my main monitor past 6 years and never looked back. Great colors, easy to drive (1080p hehe) and way ahead of ultrawide being mainstream. Now that I'm more adult and have more money to spend on computers though the 2560*1080 resolution is kinda not great.

Fossil Gen 5 Watch: As a former Apple customer it's definetly a jump from the apple watch. But it looks way cooler, a lot more comfortable, does all the same thing things, just the battery sucks a bit more. Recent 80$ purchase, feeling good about it. When i had an iPhone the Apple watch was pretty good also tho.

Z Fold 3: Amazing phone that changed the way i use phones and consume media. True gamechanger imo.

AirPods Pro: Changed my relationship with music (i play a lot more music because its a lot more avaiable/easier to listen to now) and good quality product. 

Bose QC35: I won't ever not use active noise cencelling headphones because I'm addicted, have been past 6-7 years since the QC15. Good quality audio, even if bluetooth on windows sucks ass.

Ducky One 2 Mini and Corsair Sabre RGB Wireless: 60% Cherry MX Blue is my dream keyboard so yeah, Corsair mouse has good battery, good tracking and ive just gotten very comfortable with it and its software etc, ive tried a lot of mice but this is my favourite.

Something i used to own: Bose QuietComfort 20 Noise cancelling earbuds, remember this was 9th or 10th grade. Loved those man.

What tech do you own that you love and why?

*pls this is not a brag post i have lots of cool things i have worked very hard for and just want to share my opinion and discuss lovexoxo

I bought the Acer X223H monitor with my first PC, when I was 14 andit worked perfectly fine until 2020. So it worked for 11 years, until it showed some weird color effects and took forever to show an image. I opened it up looking for dead capacitors, but I didn't find a bad looking one, so I got a new one.

My current gaming PC from early 2020 is pretty great, because I spend some money on a good quality case and quiet components (except for the graphics card unfortunately), but I still like how quiet it is most of the time. Maybe one day I will get one of these noctua 3070s. but they are like double the price of my RTX 2070...

My best purchase ever were probably my monitor audio bronce speakers. Bronce 200 stereo speakers, bronce c150 center, bronce 50 rear/side and bronce W10 subwoofer. They are damn awesome. Not just another booming bass, but very precise low frequencies and an amazing sound altogether for a good price.

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

MBA M1. Battery lasts me a week of on and off usage,everything about it feels great.

3070 Noctua is also the quietest (and the biggest) graphics card I ever owned but I sometimes regret paying 3070ti price for it.

21.5" Acer monitor I got in 2011, it has been the only piece of tech that has been in constant use in 4 systems ever since.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

My iPad 5th Gen. It’s 5 years old at this point but still works great. It even runs faster than some new phones, battery life still is great and it gets the latest software(iPadOS15) updates too, albeit this might be the last update.

And I love the software, and the overall experience using it. 
For $400, this is my the best tech purchase.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

My motherboard. Asus CrossHair VI Hero. A bit quirky but dear god it's been so good for me. 5 years of solid service so far, and I expect it will serve me for quite a few more as the basis of my secondary PC, once I build a new one later this year.

And also, my Sennheiser Momentum 3s. I'm just walking down the street, or at work, and I sometimes can't help but just

image.gif.49202af6e7eb08bd03ed948e49abe42f.gif

1 hour ago, Levent said:

3070 Noctua is also the quietest (and the biggest) graphics card I ever owned but I sometimes regret paying 3070ti price for it.

image.thumb.jpeg.4bfe3d2fcbeb545ac47c51ef4dcd0135.jpeg

I just put to gether a quick comparison. To get a 3070 Ti, you would pay 9 or 5 % more money and 30 or 70 % more noise for about 14 % more performance. Hard decision, but I think I would go for the Noctua one too.

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

Probably my DAPs. They're always there, bring me great joy, and I use them for hours a day. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I like my dual 27GP850 LG monitors.  They are cool.

I edit my posts more often than not

My Corsair K70 keyboard and M65 mouse. Being able to custom make macros for various games over the years has really made life easier. If I had to buy another keyboard I would spring for one with dedicated macro buttons just so I could get more use out of the feature.

As for past tech my old Radeon 7970 was in my opinion one of the last good AMD/ATI GPU's before AMD decided that celebrating mediocrity in market that is driven by performance was a good business decision. Sadly a power surge fried it and my monitor so I had to replace both with a 1080 Ti that serves me well to this day though I want to retire it so a media PC soon and a Asus ROG Swift PG279Q monitor that introduced me to higher refresh gaming and taught me that for the type of games that I play anything north of 144-165hz is wasted and that I would be better served by a high resolution monitor.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

for me its the IBM Model M I bought for work, I'm a 911 dispatcher so im on my keyboard for 12-16 hours a day and it is one of the best keyboards ive ever typed on.

There are so many tech pieces I love using, but it has to go to my Fold 3.

I've been using smartphones since 2006. and while some have been better than others, this is the first phone that feels really different. Now mind you, I'm not an Android fan, I never really have, I was however a massive Windows Phone fan, loved the UI, loved how the OS functioned (especially WP7), and I think this is the first time since my Lumia 920, that I'm actually satisfied with it (since then I owned a Lumia 950XL, Oneplus X, Galaxy S8, Xiaomi Mi9T/K20 and the LG Velvet incl dualscreen case)

The device is super fast, feels really fluid with those 120 hz displays, the front screen is quite easy to use with 1 hand, speakers are great, camera's are solid, though not the best out there of course, but I got a proper DSLR if I really want high quality pics, and it has of course the foldable screen.

In theory I always liked tablets, I tried using 1 for a while, but it ended up collecting dust, because I wouldn't have it with me all the time, I would also have stuff on my phone that I wouldn't on my tablet etc, so I just ended up constantly using my phone again. Now I have both, sure you can absolutely argue that a tablet is superior to the unfolded Fold 3, but I have this on me at all times, and getting a tablet with those specs, is very pricey.

I don't multitask a lot on it, which is also why I ended up not liking my LG Velvet that much, because I just wouldn't use the second screen that often. But I do use the big screen a lot for videos, games, general app use etc. And if I do want to use 2 apps, that works perfectly still.

All in all my favourite tech device for sure.

Btw I would say I used the big screen about 70% of the time for sure.

1 hour ago, Neroon said:

There are so many tech pieces I love using, but it has to go to my Fold 3.

I've been using smartphones since 2006. and while some have been better than others, this is the first phone that feels really different. Now mind you, I'm not an Android fan, I never really have, I was however a massive Windows Phone fan, loved the UI, loved how the OS functioned (especially WP7), and I think this is the first time since my Lumia 920, that I'm actually satisfied with it (since then I owned a Lumia 950XL, Oneplus X, Galaxy S8, Xiaomi Mi9T/K20 and the LG Velvet incl dualscreen case)

The device is super fast, feels really fluid with those 120 hz displays, the front screen is quite easy to use with 1 hand, speakers are great, camera's are solid, though not the best out there of course, but I got a proper DSLR if I really want high quality pics, and it has of course the foldable screen.

In theory I always liked tablets, I tried using 1 for a while, but it ended up collecting dust, because I wouldn't have it with me all the time, I would also have stuff on my phone that I wouldn't on my tablet etc, so I just ended up constantly using my phone again. Now I have both, sure you can absolutely argue that a tablet is superior to the unfolded Fold 3, but I have this on me at all times, and getting a tablet with those specs, is very pricey.

I don't multitask a lot on it, which is also why I ended up not liking my LG Velvet that much, because I just wouldn't use the second screen that often. But I do use the big screen a lot for videos, games, general app use etc. And if I do want to use 2 apps, that works perfectly still.

All in all my favourite tech device for sure.

Btw I would say I used the big screen about 70% of the time for sure.

A lot of the same here really. Always been fascinated by new techs, got my first ultrawide and high hz monitor in 2016, imo before it was cool and mainstream, glad i didnt go the 4k res 60hz that was the norm at the time

But the Z Fold 3 itches the same spot that itched when i got that monitor. Totally changed the game coming from an iPhone 11 Pro. Super usable, geniuous form-factor and overall just feels like a mini-tablet that is compartively small. Even gave up the sweet apple watch and airpods apple magic for this, it's just that good

25 minutes ago, thetmabird said:

A lot of the same here really. Always been fascinated by new techs, got my first ultrawide and high hz monitor in 2016, imo before it was cool and mainstream, glad i didnt go the 4k res 60hz that was the norm at the time

But the Z Fold 3 itches the same spot that itched when i got that monitor. Totally changed the game coming from an iPhone 11 Pro. Super usable, geniuous form-factor and overall just feels like a mini-tablet that is compartively small. Even gave up the sweet apple watch and airpods apple magic for this, it's just that good

I was AMAZED by my 24" curved 144hz monitor when I first got it. That was so cool for me in 2017. I wouldn't even get a GPU that could run 1080p 144hz until 2021 so I just recently got to witness it in its full glory lol

I've got the Agon 49inch curved 32:9, love it, I absolutely do. But I came from I believe a 29 inch is 21:9 and used my 17 inch laptop screen as a second monitor. Now I used this and my 14 inch laptop screen is off. So while it's a huge step up, it's not a game changer like my Fold 3 is.

18 hours ago, thetmabird said:

tech you own and love?

Not all tech is electronic, so...

My cars that don't really need a computer to run, just old school technology.(they do have electronic ignition)

Why?

I just always liked cars and how they work.

For the electronic stuff:

My collection of RC cars. I am not naming all of them, but I will list a few:

OG Tamiya Sand Scorcher

OG Tamiya Hornet with some mods

Tamiya TL-01 BMW E30 M3

Tamiya Ford F-350 High Lift

RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Tamiya CC-01 Bronco(Modded)

Tamiya Clodbuster

My first hobby grade electric RC, OG Tamiya Grasshopper (will be fixing it)

Why? I have had a lot of enjoyment building and rebuilding my RC cars, it can be therapeutic sometimes.

Other Random Tech:

Hitachi/ Gateway VX900 CRT

Mitsubishi/ Gateway VX920 CRT

Because LCD sucks.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

My Aspire Nautilus 5ml.  I think they day i can no longer get atomisers for it is the day i kick the vaping habit

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

For the last 2 years it was my 3080 that i got before MSRP's went crazy.

But since pricing looks better now i'd say my LG C9 OLED is my favourite tech product atm. As a display enthusiast it completely changed how i looked at LCD displays and even my PG35VQ - which was more expensive - looks like a child's toy compared to the OLED picture quality and motion performance.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

3dfx Voodoo 1 4MB

it introduced the world to what real 3d acceleration could actually do for gaming, and started the trend in earnest.

My brother-in-law got me a Google Home for Christmas many years ago and it just sat in the box. Then my sister gives me her old Galaxy S7.

Suddenly I'm really into voice assistants, mostly for the usual music, lights, and general knowledge queries--of which I have a million, all day!  I'm just bummed they never finished Majel Barrett, so to speak. For now I want a male voice assistant, based on a real voice, as deep as possible, and with a wake-word I can choose. Haven't got there yet.

I do still love confounding my voice assistant. Computer, name five opera singers born on my birthday. Computer, count backward from pi.

Rank the irrational numbers according to fame. Why are LaGrange points cheap? Am I full of fatty acids?

I'm the Guy Who:

• watches JayzTwoCents say Don't waste your money on a 12th gen if you're sticking to DDR4 -- right after having done so
  • nearly based his whole build on a GPU that needed liquid cooling! Yeah, I thought all that was just RGB
  • hasn't been a gamer since Skyrim and Dragon Age II and still blows $5k on a PC, eek
    • well it needed a ton of storage as the 1st backup for my 2nd Plex NAS
    • I want to start gaming again with the ol' open-world solo RPGs, but still. . . .
  • kept a Picard action figure in his backpack when he was a touring actor for. . . several years
    • people found it endearing. Just like I wanted them to. (Mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha)
    • unpack the luggage la. la. la. pack up the luggage. la. la. la. hi-ho the glamorous life
  • whose favorite album is the same as James Scully's! Once Upon a Time by Donna Summer! Play it loud!
  • remembers which Lord British and Infocom games he liked best: Ultima IV and Zork II
    • almost surely not the best ones, just where I racked up the hours
    • honorable elderly mentions go to Might & Magic 7 and Planetscape: Torment
      • Oh, Might & Magic
        • first person 
        • huge open-world
        • just one NPC, but thousands of copies!
          • dead eyes? check
          • forms clusters of himself in towns, like: hiya big boy? check
  • still has to bite his tongue living with his 90-year-old father
    • the man that over the years always sent me surprise Alienware desktops, bleh. . . .
      • Even the Dell ones, superbleh. . . .
  • has an ancient and mostly-mock nemesis in Hilary Rosen
    • Hilary Rosen! Slowly I turn. Step by step. Inch by inch.
    • The Woman Who Murdered File Sharing In the Crib!!
    • and Was Only a Mediocre Liberal Commentator on CNN!
  • paraphrases O'Neill, and not the one from Stargate: not even the makings of a creative, just the habits (and ego)
  • clearly needs an editor - verbose much?
  • writes the most about himself you're allowed to, under any circumstances, in this sig.  Say yeesh.  You're not wrong.

When I was 15, right after I had built my first computer, I found a 27 inch, 1440p, dell monitor (it overclocked to 90hz ez), in the trash of the apartment building where I was living. It was in perfect condition and is still with me to this day, and its ability to rotate has helped me enormously when coding.

install gentoo

7 hours ago, .wncry said:

<snip>

Reading your postt reminded me. My DreamCast.

Oh lord, my DreamCast. I can still hear the boot-up jingle. The hundreds, thousands of hours I spent playing Phantasy Star Online.

I'm honestly considering creating a living will just to state that I want it to be cremated alongside my corpse, when I die. That's how much I adore that little box of wonders.

My Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO. Bought them when I was younger and therefore money was on the short side. Still the best 120 € i've ever payed for something. Im very happy with them for years now, they are simply the best headphones for me out there. Comfortable, durable and good sounding.