OnePlus One Announced [Thoughts] #neversettle ?

Ebenesh

One_Plus_One_handset_leak-578-80.jpg

So many of you guys will be thinking that is an Oppo Find 7. Well yea, it does share a similar design. There is a reason for that as well.

This is the OnePlus One. OnePlus is a company started by Oppo vice president Pete Lau who resigned last month to go on and build a phone that will be as their campaign suggested “NEVER SETTLE”. Well has OnePlus settled on some things?

To be fair let’s first take a look at what the OnePlus One has in it.

• 2.5GHz Snapdragon 801 processor
  • 5.5-inch 1080p display
  • 3GB of RAM
  • a 13-megapixel f/2 camera unit
  • bottom-facing stereo speakers
  • constructed from magnesium
  • weighs 162g
  • 8.9mm-thick frame tapers to 4.6mm at the edges.

f7989_tecnologia_portada.jpg

Fine, now let’s observe what other smartphones have that is basically a “NEVER SETTLE” attribute to their phones,

Interms of processing power, the Snapdragon 801 is the top-tier choice and pretty much offers the best performance you can find. So the One has that. Screen Size and display choice is a critical area and is one part of a phone that is personal choice. For accurate color an IPS Panel is pretty much the way to go and if u like “them colors” to be “eye-popping” in terms of saturation and to save power AMOLED is a better choice. And screen size is also something that is a personal opinion. So I guess the One has put in quite a good display.When we talk about Speakers, hands down the best phone speaker implementation would be HTC’s BOOM SOUND and we don’t really get that. So I guess minus points for that.RAM, well it’s got plenty! no settling there. In terms of cameras on Smartphones I would say the iPhone and the S5 offer the best quality in an all round test and the OnePlus may not have that level of quality. Finally, design is also something that depends on the person. To me an iPhone, Nexus 4 and the OneM8 are the phones that have the best design in their respective category. So is the OnePlus One not good-looking ? Not really ! It is a really good-looking phone, but it isn’t a top-tier industry leading design. It looks to me that the ex VP of Oppo loved the phones they made and so it carried on to the One. That’s not a bad thing.

So OnePlus have made a few compromises here and there, but when it comes to the price you start to forget these little compromises. At $299 for the 16GB and $349 for the 32GB models respectively, it is a fantastic deal and in my opinion has done mostly everything right.

So it is worth all that hype? No, maybe not but what it is is a phone that shows other Smartphone makers that the increase in specs does not mean increase in price. Sure, there are many things that add up to the cost of the phone, especially the R&D that goes into the coding and development of those skins that all phone manufacturers are so obsessed with to make the entire phone look like their own, but at the end of the day most of those enhancements in UI become meaningless and just adds up a ton on so many things we hardly use.

OnePlus uses Cyanogenmod 11S a tailor made version of CM that will cost the company a fraction of what other manufactures have to spend and it pretty much does everything you would want it to do.

This phone is definitely in my opinion a phone done right !

OnePlus-logo.jpg

Souce: TechAlways, Verge (specs)

i was able to read this thread without my glasses on. (good job...)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

You get all of that for only $300, or $350 for the 64GB version.

Oh I wanna see how much this will come to market in Romania,if it ever will.Probably around $800.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

i was able to read this thread without my glasses on. (good job...)

I'm in love with your DP ! Thankyouverymuch !

My thoughts are, it looks very plastic. The only thing it seems to have going for itself is the fact it's relatively cheap.

Their marketing campaign where they encourage people to smash their current phone is really obnoxious. As is the 'invite only' crap. You're making a cheap Android phone, it's not some exclusive club.

I don't understand the hype.

Nice propaganda :)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

My thoughts are, it looks very plastic. The only thing it seems to have going for itself is the fact it's relatively cheap.

Their marketing campaign where they encourage people to smash their current phone is really obnoxious. As is the 'invite only' crap. You're making a cheap Android phone, it's not some exclusive club.

The invite only thing was a instant turn off, like really....

I shouldn't need to get an invite in order to buy a product, in that case, fuck their product....

The invite only thing was a instant turn off, like really....

I shouldn't need to get an invite in order to buy a product, in that case, fuck their product....

For a company that started like 5 or 6 moths ago to put out a product that fast is a big deal. And I think the invite system is one way they can take the blame off of themselves for low production rates. At least for now.

For a company that started like 5 or 6 moths ago to put out a product that fast is a big deal. And I think the invite system is one way they can take the blame off of themselves for low production rates. At least for now.

Yeah, but it still is a great turn off.

I don't want to go through so much trouble in order to buy a product.

-snip-

Is it using Crysis background music?

EDIT:

Yup it's using new york memories from Crysis 3 lol.

Nothing says bleeding edge hardware like Crysis music.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

I could of sworn it had a metal backplate or something, I think the backplate was made out of magnesium.

While it looks like an awesome phone, especially for dat price, I am concerned with how well the product is going to be supported.  A new start up company with no track record, selling a device basically at cost.  How are they making money?  I'd imagine they want to sell as many phones right now to get their brand out, but unless they have wealthy supporters, it's not going to last.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

5.5in... That's one big phone. And my nexus 5 is big. But that 3100mAh battery is a welcome addition, especially as the snapdragon 801 isn't too battery-heavy, and it's only a 1080p screen. It looks like a good phone, but I won't buy one (at least not right now). And it looks way over-hyped (not to say that it's a bad phone, just that there was loads of hype). I hope/assume Linus will do a review on this.

HTTP/2 203

Is it using Crysis background music?

EDIT:

Yup it's using new york memories from Crysis 3 lol.

Nothing says bleeding edge hardware like Crysis music.

I KNEW I recognized that music from somewhere! 

All I have to say is this should be good for consumers in terms of competitive pricing. Yes it's plastic, but some people don't care about that because they just put it in a case. The exterior being metal does not make the hardware inside it any better. If I can get a Nexus 6 later this year at a similar price, with those specs but with Android 4.4.3 and Wifi, I'll be very happy. Say, for example, a 32GB Nexus 6 for $349, and I'll be dancing in the street.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Kind of feel like the oppo find 7 is still a better pick? I am amazed at the 64GB version being only $50 more, I hope this catches on. To be fair, we should already have 32/64GB as a base and 128GB as an option; I can't believe we still have 8/16GB phones.

It's okay, but now I really don't see all of the hype behind it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

No offense to you or anyone else but this leads me to believe the hype it's basically based on aluminum...yep that's about it really.

-------

Current Rig

-------

No offense to you or anyone else but this leads me to believe the hype it's basically based on aluminum...yep that's about it really.

Not for me. It's almost too simplistic for me, in a way. Hell, my favorite phone is the Samsung Galaxy S5 (and it isn't aluminum).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Maybe it is a bit over-hyped, but look at it this way. You have a new company that no one has heard of and you want many people to know that you have released a considerably good product in the market when u do and you want them to buy it. Do u have a better idea ? :P

IMHO the "over hype" was what they had to do

Also the marketing of the price was really good. U say a phone is under $400 and your like okay... and ur mind is set to that price and they bring out the phone at $299 and your like that is so cheap( it is but still) . Really good marketing. 

But it many situations they did over do it.

Maybe it is a bit over-hyped, but look at it this way. You have a new company that no one has heard of and you want many people to know that you have released a considerably good product in the market when u do and you want them to buy it. Do u have a better idea ? :P

IMHO the "over hype" was what they had to do

Also the marketing of the price was really good. U say a phone is under $400 and your like okay... and ur mind is set to that price and they bring out the phone at $299 and your like that is so cheap( it is but still) . Really good marketing. 

But it many situations they did over do it.

I see what you're getting at. This hype must have helped them out a TON.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Not for me. It's almost too simplistic for me, in a way. Hell, my favorite phone is the Samsung Galaxy S5 (and it isn't aluminum).

Well touche, you're certainly the odd one out on this parts though.

-------

Current Rig

-------