Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can an AC wifi extender transfer 950mbps over Ethernet

Parzival120
 Share

I’m going to make this fast and simple. If I have WIFI-6 home internet capable of 950mbps and I buy an AC wifi extender will it transfer the full 950mbps through Ethernet or no. The reason I am skeptical is because wireless AC does not take full control of WIFI-6 only AX can. But I’m not sure if AC Ethernet can transfer the full speed. Can it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

What model of extender? What client? Is this wired to your main router? The max speeds of wifi really depends on the equement used, the signal strength, and the amount of interference.

 

You're probably not gonna get those speeds on a wifi to wifi extender.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What model of extender? What client? Is this wired to your main router? The max speeds of wifi really depends on the equement used, the signal strength, and the amount of interference.

 

You're probably not gonna get those speeds on a wifi to wifi extender.

The model of the extender is down below. My provider is centurylink. And my router has a feature where if you plug an Ethernet cable directly from router into a wifi extender it will spread the whole signal throughout the house and then can be received by putting another wifi extender and plugging an Ethernet cable into that one. So technically speaking yes it is directly connected to the router..

4F248870-5839-4250-8A4F-A296E00EEBF9.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope. You'll never really get "Gigabit" throughput speed with most consumer gear. 

Additionally that is an AC1200....the number generally means the sum of all radios, not referring to the fastest single connection.

 

Of course your limiting factor is going to be the slowest part of your connection. Wether that be the repeater to your Router, or your Device to the repeater. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor x2 | Ducky DK2108 Keyboard | Steel Series Sensei Ten | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOS-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

 

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 10 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Parzival120 said:

The model of the extender is down below. My provider is centurylink. And my router has a feature where if you plug an Ethernet cable directly from router into a wifi extender it will spread the whole signal throughout the house and then can be received by putting another wifi extender and plugging an Ethernet cable into that one. So technically speaking yes it is directly connected to the router..

Then you want an access points, not an extender, as you have a wired connection. Unifi and tp link make some good cheapish ones, or just get anouther router and run it in ap mode.

 

But your not hitting 950mbit on any ac1200 device, getting about 1/2 to 2/3s of the rated speed(in a single band) is the real world max.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Parzival120 said:

AC Ethernet

there's no such thing as AC Ethernet, ethernet are rated in 100 or 1000 mbps its a completely different system from the wireless part.

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

From an AX connection to the Xfinity router I have with gigabit speed plan, best I have ever gotten was 726mbps, and 760mbps wired, so some perspective for you....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

From an AX connection to the Xfinity router I have with gigabit speed plan, best I have ever gotten was 726mbps, and 760mbps wired, so some perspective for you....

That's pretty close to what I get with my Zyxel NWA210AX Access Point and despite the client connected at 2400Mbit link rate (though I think this is a bug in the firmware).

 

It has peaked at 940Mbit but the average is definitely more around 750Mbit.  Its no faster than the clients connected at 1200Mbit which is annoying.

I seemed to gain about 100Mbit on AX vs AC WiFi both peak and average.

Router:  Quotom-Q555G6-S05 (pfSense) WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.44Gbit peak at 160Mhz 2x2 MIMO, ~900Mbit at 80Mhz)

Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen VDSL (~74Mbit) + VOXI 4G [Vodafone] (~120Mbit) + Three 5G (~500Mbit average)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That's pretty close to what I get with my Zyxel NWA210AX Access Point and despite the client connected at 2400Mbit link rate (though I think this is a bug in the firmware).

 

It has peaked at 940Mbit but the average is definitely more around 750Mbit.  Its no faster than the clients connected at 1200Mbit which is annoying.

I seemed to gain about 100Mbit on AX vs AC WiFi both peak and average.

It do be like that, and it would seem that the NICs that are in use have some optimization to go through with AX connections

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×