Please someone help me with my CPU (performing poorly) (No longer I suspect it's my GPU at fault, it works fine on other rig)

E3FL
17 minutes ago, xxx.sps said:

Make sure all your PSU cables are all properly plugged in as well, I had an issue where the 24 pin wasn't plugged all the way into my PSU and I would get bad frames and crash a lot until I plugged it the rest of the way in. It came undone during a move. If it still doesn't work def try a fresh windows install and maybe try Windows 10 or try reinstalling your drivers.

I have unplugged them and re plugged them in, I dont think that is the issue. I will reformat my windows when I get back home. 

4 hours ago, E3FL said:

I have tried 3Dmark and I have got a score of 12935 (not sure if thats good but it's in the green in terms of comparison?) Comparing it to someone who has the exact same specs, I perform lower. I can still attempt to reformat in hopes of it fixing it.  

Hopefully that resolves your issue then. If you continue to have issues after a fresh install, consider rolling back drivers a version or 2. I've seen performance issues caused by new driver versions and rolling back was the fix until the next version released. Of course, your mileage may vary. Best of luck.

16 hours ago, Terminal423 said:

Hopefully that resolves your issue then. If you continue to have issues after a fresh install, consider rolling back drivers a version or 2. I've seen performance issues caused by new driver versions and rolling back was the fix until the next version released. Of course, your mileage may vary. Best of luck.

I have completely reformatted windows 11 and I havent really seen any improvements. But, Ive done a very important test, luckily I have a friend of mine who actually tested my GPU on his rig and it worked completely fine.. Now, for sure it's 1 of 2 things.. 

1: I need a new power supply

2: CPU is acting weird.

CPU scores on 3DMark was scoring 8043 which is really low for what it is. Is there anything you know that may cause a low cpu score? I'll be honest, I am still new to PC's, but aren't CPU drivers are a thing? I really think it's a CPU problem now, because it's definitely not my GPU now.

2 minutes ago, E3FL said:

I have completely reformatted windows 11 and I havent really seen any improvements. But, Ive done a very important test, luckily I have a friend of mine who actually tested my GPU on his rig and it worked completely fine.. Now, for sure it's 1 of 2 things.. 

1: I need a new power supply

2: CPU is acting weird.

CPU scores on 3DMark was scoring 8043 which is really low for what it is. Is there anything you know that may cause a low cpu score? I'll be honest, I am still new to PC's, but aren't CPU drivers are a thing? I really think it's a CPU problem now, because it's definitely not my GPU now.

At this point I'm looking at 2 things, thermals and power.

Thermals: If your CPU is underperforming, we may be looking at thermal throttling. Looking back I'm not seeing any mentions of temps. Have you checked your temps? Are you sure your CPU isn't overheating? Please use an application like CoreTemp or HWInfo to monitor your CPU temps while running a benchmark. If you're hitting temp limits, throttling is likely the culprit.

Power: On paper, your CPU/GPU combo could work fine with a 650W PSU. That said, I don't know how old the unit is. If it's fairly old (5+ years) it's probably time to replace it and go 750W+. It's not a bad idea to have more headroom in terms of power. Then again, on paper you should be fine with your current config.

My recommendation would be to check your temps first, as thermal throttling seems like the most likely cause from what you've described. If temps are within spec, then I'd move to testing with another PSU if possible.

6 minutes ago, Terminal423 said:

At this point I'm looking at 2 things, thermals and power.

Thermals: If your CPU is underperforming, we may be looking at thermal throttling. Looking back I'm not seeing any mentions of temps. Have you checked your temps? Are you sure your CPU isn't overheating? Please use an application like CoreTemp or HWInfo to monitor your CPU temps while running a benchmark. If you're hitting temp limits, throttling is likely the culprit.

Power: On paper, your CPU/GPU combo could work fine with a 650W PSU. That said, I don't know how old the unit is. If it's fairly old (5+ years) it's probably time to replace it and go 750W+. It's not a bad idea to have more headroom in terms of power. Then again, on paper you should be fine with your current config.

My recommendation would be to check your temps first, as thermal throttling seems like the most likely cause from what you've described. If temps are within spec, then I'd move to testing with another PSU if possible.

I am currently not home, but from a fair amount of testing, and it rarely even break 60 degrees Celsius. Now, I am looking at the age of the power supply, now, I cant find the exact release date, but I am seeing a review from 2016.. So at the least its around a 8 year old psu. To be more specific on the exact power supply, it's a Corsair CX650M 80 PLUS Bronze. So.. fairly old power supply. 

2 minutes ago, E3FL said:

I am currently not home, but from a fair amount of testing, and it rarely even break 60 degrees Celsius. Now, I am looking at the age of the power supply, now, I cant find the exact release date, but I am seeing a review from 2016.. So at the least its around a 8 year old psu. To be more specific on the exact power supply, it's a Corsair CX650M 80 PLUS Bronze. So.. fairly old power supply. 

Well at least thermals aren't in the cards anymore. The path forward definitely seems to be power. If you can test with a different (preferably higher rated) PSU that should give you your answer.

If another PSU fixes things, you know to swap yours.

If not, things are a bit more muddy. Could be an issue with power delivery on the motherboard, could be the CPU itself, could be memory, a lot of variables.

5 minutes ago, Terminal423 said:

Well at least thermals aren't in the cards anymore. The path forward definitely seems to be power. If you can test with a different (preferably higher rated) PSU that should give you your answer.

If another PSU fixes things, you know to swap yours.

If not, things are a bit more muddy. Could be an issue with power delivery on the motherboard, could be the CPU itself, could be memory, a lot of variables.

Yup, because when I had hooked it into my friend's rig, it appeared to run fine, (he has a 700w suppy not sure the rating I believe gold at least) I am betting on the psu. Thanks for your help, really!

7 minutes ago, E3FL said:

Yup, because when I had hooked it into my friend's rig, it appeared to run fine, (he has a 700w suppy not sure the rating I believe gold at least) I am betting on the psu. Thanks for your help, really!

Happy to help! Remember to mark the thread as resolved once you've confirmed the fix. If you have further issues after a PSU swap, update the thread.

On 5/3/2022 at 7:55 AM, E3FL said:

60 degrees doesn't seem like a lot however I usually put my fan curve to reach 100% at 40 degrees. I saw you mentioned your 3D mark score. What is the score of the equivalent computer? I noticed you are running windows 11. From what I have seen windows 11 is a lot like Mac and I never plan to upgrade to windows 11. If know Mac, games don't run very well on Mac. It is very likely the drivers for your graphics GPU in windows 11 are not quite as good as the drivers for your GPU in Windows 10. It is also very possible that windows 11 has tons of processes that are running in the background and windows hasn't quite optimized them for your processor.

How poorly is your computer performing? Can you quantify it?

If it's not two terrible if it isn't too terrible then I wouldn't worry about it as long as it functions and does all the tasks that you needed to do. I am currently working on a much more complicated issue where are my computer will freeze so quickly that it can't even blue screen to give me the error codes or dump files that would help me diagnose it.

It is also possible that the 3080 TI founders edition doesn't run as well as some of the other 3080Ti. some of those scores can overclocked systems too. I suggest these websites to compare performance of different cards.

https://versus.com/en/asus-rog-strix-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-gaming-oc-vs-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-3080-ti.c3735

https://gpucomparison.org/compare/evga-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-ftw3-ultra-gaming/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-founders-edition/

2 hours ago, TUF ASUS x570 user said:

60 degrees doesn't seem like a lot however I usually put my fan curve to reach 100% at 40 degrees. I saw you mentioned your 3D mark score. What is the score of the equivalent computer? I noticed you are running windows 11. From what I have seen windows 11 is a lot like Mac and I never plan to upgrade to windows 11. If know Mac, games don't run very well on Mac. It is very likely the drivers for your graphics GPU in windows 11 are not quite as good as the drivers for your GPU in Windows 10. It is also very possible that windows 11 has tons of processes that are running in the background and windows hasn't quite optimized them for your processor.

How poorly is your computer performing? Can you quantify it?

If it's not two terrible if it isn't too terrible then I wouldn't worry about it as long as it functions and does all the tasks that you needed to do. I am currently working on a much more complicated issue where are my computer will freeze so quickly that it can't even blue screen to give me the error codes or dump files that would help me diagnose it.

It is also possible that the 3080 TI founders edition doesn't run as well as some of the other 3080Ti. some of those scores can overclocked systems too. I suggest these websites to compare performance of different cards.

https://versus.com/en/asus-rog-strix-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-gaming-oc-vs-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-3080-ti.c3735

https://gpucomparison.org/compare/evga-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-ftw3-ultra-gaming/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-founders-edition/

So to update further,i believe I am seeing improvement (or maybe that's my Mandela's Effect playing on me.. meaning I "think" i see improvement") You may be right though, Windows 11 may be a culprit.. But i had just reformatted everything and im not sure if I'd have to delete everything to revert back to Windows 10. 

On 5/2/2022 at 10:57 AM, E3FL said:

I have tried 3Dmark and I have got a score of 12935 (not sure if thats good but it's in the green in terms of comparison?) Comparing it to someone who has the exact same specs, I perform lower. I can still attempt to reformat in hopes of it fixing it.  

You could create a small partition on your hard drive around 100GB to test windows 10 before you completely delete everything. You don’t need to have a windows 10 key to test it out if you don’t have one. It usually gives you a 30 day free trial before it starts going crazy about the key. Just go into partition manager and shrink the your current volume to free up some space, Then create a new one so that the windows 10 installer will know where to put it. Then when you go to install windows 10, pick the new partition as the installation volume. Otherwise if I’m wrong it will just require that 100GB of free space to create its own volumes.

Edited by TUF ASUS x570 user

Hello all,

I have made a forum a while back saying my GPU was performing poorly, which wasn't and actually I have since fixed that. But then I had suspected if my PC is performing poorly is because my power supply was fairly weak (80 Plus Bronze 650 Watt Power Supply at the time) I have just bought a new one which is a 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold Power Supply which is recommended for my system.. but the problem is... that didn't fix anything. Now, I am suspecting the only thing left that it can possibly be is the CPU. I have a Ryzen 9 3900x CPU and I know for sure it should not bottleneck my GPU (RTX 3070 Ti) I have a feeling it's my CPU at fault as on 3Dmark it has a score of about 8000.. which usually a Ryzen 9 3900x scores a 14000 so something is not right. Now, I have never tried reseating the CPU since I got it but I am currently not home at the moment. If anyone has an idea how it can be under performing with a 750 gold psu then I am all ears. 

Thanks! 

Psu doesn't matter as much as you seem to think it does.

What cpu cooler?

What are the cpu temps while running 3d firemark?

How about clockspeeds?

What resolution is your monitor?

Have you enabled xmp in bios?

What ram do you have? How many GB and what mz?

How about PBO, is that enabled in bios?

Have you ever updated the motherboard bios?

You haven't enabled TPM in bios?

When you answer this post, please answer all the questions, don't just answer one or 2.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

And do you have TPM enabled?

(I know it was asked above. Emphasizing it)

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

15 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Psu doesn't matter as much as you seem to think it does.

What cpu cooler?

What are the cpu temps while running 3d firemark?

How about clockspeeds?

What resolution is your monitor?

Have you enabled xmp in bios?

What ram do you have? How many GB and what mz?

How about PBO, is that enabled in bios?

Have you ever updated the motherboard bios?

You haven't enabled TPM in bios?

When you answer this post, please answer all the questions, don't just answer one or 2.

@Origami Cactus

Firstly, thank you for responding to my problem

I will list the specs below:

Cpu Cooler: Hyper 212 CoolerMaster 

CPU Temps: From what I seen, it maxes at 60 degrees Celsius

Resolution: 1080p

BIOS XMP: I am unaware of what that is, sorry

RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 16gb 1x stick -- I am not sure of the MZ of it at this time

PBO: I am also unaware of that

MOBO BIOS: I have, but I have recently reformatted my windows to fix performance, which i dont think fixed my problem. MOBO bios I believe are updated. 

TPM: I am not sure if I have or not

I am not exactly very knowledgeable in PCs just yet, I am still fairly new, thanks for your help!

Edited by E3FL
tagged wrong person

14 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

And do you have TPM enabled?

(I know it was asked above. Emphasizing it)

I do believe so, I am using Windows 11 and I believe TPM has to be enabled for that. 

image.png.af08f3496245a8543bf94512c4724725.png

Max Clock speed all the time. is there a fix or ist it normal?

12 minutes ago, E3FL said:

I do believe so, I am using Windows 11 and I believe TPM has to be enabled for that. 

TPM currently causes stuttering, AMD is working on a fix. But if you have constantly bad FPS, it probably has to do with your ram.

Single stick of RAM is really bad on ryzen cpus, and if you don't know about XPM; it has a really high chance of running at 2133Mhz, effectively choking your cpu hard. You can make sure of it by running Cinebench, and then checking your score with a score you find online.

To somewhat fix that, you need to enable XPM or DOCP [same thing different name] in BIOS, hopefully your ram can run at 3000mhz or higher. But single channel still limits it somewhat, by home much i don't know, but you are cutting your ram bandwidth literally in half by using one stick, so that can't be good for performance.

10 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

TPM currently causes stuttering, AMD is working on a fix. But if you have constantly bad FPS, it probably has to do with your ram.

Single stick of RAM is really bad on ryzen cpus, and if you don't know about XPM; it has a really high chance of running at 2133Mhz, effectively choking your cpu hard. You can make sure of it by running Cinebench, and then checking your score with a score you find online.

To somewhat fix that, you need to enable XPM or DOCP [same thing different name] in BIOS, hopefully your ram can run at 3000mhz or higher. But single channel still limits it somewhat, by home much i don't know, but you are cutting your ram bandwidth literally in half by using one stick, so that can't be good for performance.

Yeah I may have messed up on my build i was just hoping my cpu isnt faulty because it costed me like 500 dollars...

8 minutes ago, E3FL said:

Yeah I may have messed up on my build i was just hoping my cpu isnt faulty because it costed me like 500 dollars...

Your CPU isn't faulty, it is just being held back.

Your motherboard came with a manual, open it and search for "enabling DOCP/XMP in bios", and then do as it says.

32 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Your CPU isn't faulty, it is just being held back.

Your motherboard came with a manual, open it and search for "enabling DOCP/XMP in bios", and then do as it says.

I will see what I can do. Thank you

If you got the parts recently, you can probably return the 1x16 ram for 2x8 btw. If you can't return it, 32 gb is probably more than you'll ever need, but having dual channel would be a huge help. 

In the mean time XMP will be a good boost as well. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

If you got the parts recently, you can probably return the 1x16 ram for 2x8 btw. If you can't return it, 32 gb is probably more than you'll ever need, but having dual channel would be a huge help. 

In the mean time XMP will be a good boost as well. 

I wouldn't think Id be able to return it, Ive had all this for around a year or so, so probably no returns

I have tried everything here. I have reformatted my Windows 11, I have gotten a new power supply (750 w 80 plus gold), I have reseated my cpu and gpu like 20 times, I have contacted support, i have enabled maximum performance on nvidia's control panel, I have done just about everything, ok? I have been doing this for months and its really wearing me down.. I have spent so much money on this build and i am barely getting over 40 FPS... Seriously. I am so tired of spending money on new power supplies new RAM new coolers I am done, ok? All i know my utilizations are not even over 20%.. why? I have a really good power supply and EVERYTHING. i am not spending more money to fix this. Either its broken or im really stupid and i dont know what the fuck is going on. Every game struggles to break 40-50 fps or even consistently stay at it. 3Dmark also tells me my system is HEAVILY underperforming. 

My specs:

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X

GPU: RTX 3070 Ti FE

RAM: Single Channel - 16gb RIPJAWS GSkill 

Motherboard: TUF Gaming X570-PLUS (Wi-Fi) 

SSD: Samsung 1tb QVO

PSU: EVGA Supernova 750w 80 PLUS Gold

Also, Im not trying to sound rude, please do not recommend me to buy anything. I just spent an additional 140 dollars on this power supply and i am not investing any more money into this build I truly suspect it have a faulty build