Please someone help me with my CPU (performing poorly) (No longer I suspect it's my GPU at fault, it works fine on other rig)

E3FL

Hello all,

I have just recently got myself a RTX 3070 Ti and it is performing horribly in any game I play. I have tried reseating it, I have tried uninstalling the drivers and installing them again, I have enabled NVIDIA's high performance control panel or whatever it called. I have done just about everything. I have been with NVIDIA's support team for 2 weeks and they cannot help me. I have 4 options here why it may be but I need someone who can help me.

Option 1: I am using a power supply that is not recommended for the 3070 Ti FE (650W 80 Bronze)

Option 2: CPU bottleneck (Im really hoping it's not this, I have a RYZEN 9 3900x and that costed me 530 dollars..)

Option 3: Reformat Windows (I am on Windows 11 and Im also hoping I dont have to do this because I have so much crap installed and it'll take all day to redownload.)

Option 4: My card is just straight up faulty.

Full Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x

GPU: RTX 3070 Ti Founder's Edition

RAM: RIPSJAWS GSKILL 16gb

PSU: Corsair 650W 80 Bronze

SSD: Samsung QVO 1tb

Mobo: TUF GAMING X570-(Wi-Fi)

I have done just about everything I think and Im at a loss, I have been at this for 2 months and all this costed me a fortune. if anyone can help me I am so grateful for anything that comes by.

Thanks.

***UPDATE*** as of 5/3/2022

I have reformatted my entire Windows 11 with no noticeable difference. 

I have also CONFIRMED it is NOT my GPU that is at fault. I have tested it on a further rig, and it performs as it should. Now I have 2 possible candidates at fault here:

1: Possible CPU issue 

2: I need a new power supply

I have researched that both my PSU and CPU should be OK for my setup... But I have my suspicions on my CPU. On 3DMark, my CPU gets a score of 8043, which is really, really low. Now, my PSU is fairly old (came out about 8 years ago I believe) I bought it brand new about a year or so ago so it is isn't very old as in me using it for that long. 

Thanks.

Edited by E3FL
Update

You clearly posted this before you were done typing. Edit your post and complete what you were trying to say. Read the "Read before asking for help" sticky and do as it says. Define "performing horribly." 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

You clearly posted this before you were done typing. Edit your post and complete what you were trying to say. Read the "Read before asking for help" sticky and do as it says. Define "performing horribly." 

just fixed it sorry lol I am not used to keyboard as you can tell

1 minute ago, E3FL said:

just fixed it sorry lol I am not used to keyboard as you can tell

You still managed not to post your full system specs as the sticky tells you to do, and you still haven't told us what "performing horribly" means. What games? What settings? What fps? 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Just now, Middcore said:

You still managed not to post your full system specs as the sticky tells you to do, and you still haven't told us what "performing horribly" means. What games? What settings? What fps? 

I get it Im sorry I just got here. 

Full Specs:

What I mean by performance I am getting roughly 50 FPS on low settings 1080p and I know that is not normal. Games such as, 

Insurgency Sandstorm, Battlefield 2042, GTA 5, Elder Scrolls Online, and Fortnite. 

3 hours ago, E3FL said:

Hello all,

I have just recently got myself a RTX 3070 Ti and it is performing horribly in any game I play. I have tried reseating it, I have tried uninstalling the drivers and installing them again, I have enabled NVIDIA's high performance control panel or whatever it called. I have done just about everything. I have been with NVIDIA's support team for 2 weeks and they cannot help me. I have 4 options here why it may be but I need someone who can help me.

Option 1: I am using a power supply that is not recommended for the 3070 Ti FE (650W 80 Bronze)

Option 2: CPU bottleneck (Im really hoping it's not this, I have a RYZEN 9 3900x and that costed me 530 dollars...)

Option 3: Reformat Windows (I am on Windows 11 and Im also hoping I dont have to do this because I have so much crap installed and it'll take all day to redownload.)

Option 4: My card is just straight up faulty.

Full Specs:

I have done just about everything I think and Im at a loss, I have been at this for 2 months and all this costed me a fortune. if anyone can help me I am so grateful for anything that comes by.

Thanks.

I had the same problem once with my old laptop.

it had 1660TI 6GB on it with i7 9850H. one day I tries to play and got 5-10FPS and userbenchmark gave to my nvidia 1660TI the poorest perfoming that possible for it.

I tried to reinstall my drivers and set my nvidia settings to use only the nvidia card and not my cpu - but nothing helped.

I had to format my laptop and somehow it solved the problem.

I can't tell if it would be the case with your pc. but a clean install of win may solve your problem

3 hours ago, E3FL said:

I get it Im sorry I just got here. 

Full Specs:

What I mean by performance I am getting roughly 50 FPS on low settings 1080p and I know that is not normal. Games such as, 

Insurgency Sandstorm, Battlefield 2042, GTA 5, Elder Scrolls Online, and Fortnite. 

I once had a similar issue with my laptop with an i7 10750H and a GTX 1660 Ti. Somehow it was stuck in battery mode in terms of power management. What solved the problem was unplugging the power brick and plugging it back in. What are your temperatures like? Maybe there is a spot on the GPU die that isn't covered by thermal paste, causing this area to be super hot and the GPU throttling because of that. For that, download HWInfo64 and look at your GPU temperature and the GPU hotspot. If they are more than 20° apart, there's something wrong with the thermal paste. A difference of 15°C is good and 10°C is very good. 

8 minutes ago, Uria said:

it had 1660TI 6GB on it with i7 9850H. one day I tries to play and got 5-10FPS and userbenchmark gave to my nvidia 1660TI the poorest perfoming that possible for it.

I tried to reinstall my drivers and set my nvidia settings to use only the nvidia card and not my cpu - but nothing helped.

I can't tell if it would be the case with your pc. but a clean install of win may solve your problem

I know this isn't related but PLEASE don't use UserBenchmark

"I have no manager. I can't be managed."

5 minutes ago, DreamCat04 said:

I once had a similar issue with my laptop with an i7 10750H and a GTX 1660 Ti. Somehow it was stuck in battery mode in terms of power management. What solved the problem was unplugging the power brick and plugging it back in. What are your temperatures like? Maybe there is a spot on the GPU die that isn't covered by thermal paste, causing this area to be super hot and the GPU throttling because of that. For that, download HWInfo64 and look at your GPU temperature and the GPU hotspot. If they are more than 20° apart, there's something wrong with the thermal paste. A difference of 15°C is good and 10°C is very good. 

it wasn't the case with mine. I did check the power settings which was set to high perfomance. and it wasn't a thermal problem because it was reaching 80c max.

4 hours ago, E3FL said:

I have just recently got myself a RTX 3070 Ti and it is performing horribly in any game I play.

How EXACTLY is it performing horribly? 

Is it directly just low FPS or is the games stuttering? Different kinds of "horrible performance" can sometimes tell where to look. 

Have you checked thermals and clockspeeds of GPU and memory? 

Have you tried DDU? 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

5 hours ago, Uria said:

Yeah I have had a lot of people tell me to do that. Im just worried if I do that and it wouldn't work so all of that would be in vain. My hopes are pretty low as even 2 weeks with NVIDIA's tech staff couldn't help me (although they came off as they weren't really educated about it)

5 hours ago, BetteBalterZen said:

How EXACTLY is it performing horribly? 

Is it directly just low FPS or is the games stuttering? Different kinds of "horrible performance" can sometimes tell where to look. 

Have you checked thermals and clockspeeds of GPU and memory? 

Have you tried DDU? 

Clock speeds usually range to 1900-2000 MHz from what I see in benchmarks. My games tend to be very stuttery and all out fairly low FPS. I have used DDU twice to verify I have no AMD drivers installed

5 hours ago, IcyByte said:

I know this isn't related but PLEASE don't use UserBenchmark

Oh trust me I envy that site. It's very bland when it comes to comparisons. Thankfully I use 3Dmark.  

8 minutes ago, E3FL said:

Clock speeds usually range to 1900-2000 MHz from what I see in benchmarks. My games tend to be very stuttery and all out fairly low FPS. I have used DDU twice to verify I have no AMD drivers installed

Hmm alright, if the GPU boosts to ~2000MHz this would mean thermals for the GPU is okay. What about VRAM thermals? Have you checked VRAM memory temp with HWiNFO? 

Maybe run a benchmark like Unigine in windowed and have GPU-Z running aswell and see if PerfCap is power related. 

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

1 minute ago, BetteBalterZen said:

Hmm alright, if the GPU boosts to ~2000MHz this would mean thermals for the GPU is okay. What about VRAM thermals? Have you checked VRAM memory temp with HWiNFO? 

I have not yet done that. All I know is the card doesn't get too hot from what I see or felt. The card itself usually sits at around 75 Celsius if that helps 

Just now, E3FL said:

I have not yet done that. All I know is the card doesn't get too hot from what I see or felt. The card itself usually sits at around 75 Celsius if that helps 

75C for the core is fine, also I edited my post. 

But if the memory is cooking, it could certainly hurt performance. You should check memory temps. 

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

75C for the core is fine, also I edited my post. 

But if the memory is cooking, it could certainly hurt performance. You should check memory temps. 

I will definitely check into that, thanks.

Oh, another thing, I have noticed for games that perform poorly. They only use less than 35% of the GPU utilization, I am not sure if it is just poorly optimized games or not. Maybe that's a cause that I haven't specified. 

2 minutes ago, E3FL said:

I will definitely check into that, thanks.

Oh, another thing, I have noticed for games that perform poorly. They only use less than 35% of the GPU utilization, I am not sure if it is just poorly optimized games or not. Maybe that's a cause that I haven't specified. 

That sounds like a bottleneck but the 3900X is strong enough for a 3070 Ti, though some games are just dumbly optimized meaning no matter what CPU you have, you will see bottlenecking. 

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

That sounds like a bottleneck but the 3900X is strong enough for a 3070 Ti, though some games are just dumbly optimized meaning no matter what CPU you have, you will see bottlenecking. 

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. I appreciate everything you have helped me with so far! 

2 minutes ago, E3FL said:

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. I appreciate everything you have helped me with so far! 

No worries mate, I hope we/you figure it out. 

I was also thinking about maybe doing a fresh install of Windows, just to be sure that nothing OS wise is causing this but yeah I know many hate to format... 😛

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

No worries mate, I hope we/you figure it out. 

I was also thinking about maybe doing a fresh install of Windows, just to be sure that nothing OS wise is causing this but yeah I know many hate to format... 😛

Yup, planning on doing that when I get back. I hope that can be a fix because I don't have a separate drive to put everything in but im willing to take that risk. 

3 minutes ago, E3FL said:

because I don't have a separate drive to put everything in but im willing to take that risk. 

Ah I see... Well, a free Microsoft account will give you 5GB of storage and a free Google account will give you 15GB, so that's 20GB in total, and there's probably many more services like these for cloud storage, what I'm getting at, is that you should be able to save your important files. Anything else can just be downloaded again. 

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

2 hours ago, E3FL said:

Yup, planning on doing that when I get back. I hope that can be a fix because I don't have a separate drive to put everything in but im willing to take that risk. 

Before jumping to a reformat (although at this point I get it), it would be worth throwing a synthetic load like 3DMark at it and comparing to other scores with the same GPU. If your GPU scores comparatively low that will point to a GPU or driver/OS issue. At that point it could be worth trying the reformat, but if you've used DDU and are using the latest drivers it's pretty unlikely that the drivers or OS are the cause. Personally I'd RMA the card at that point.

Also, though it can seem counter-intuitive, try cranking those games and seeing how they perform. Depending on the title, the game might defer some tasks to the CPU on lower settings. Granted with a 3900X this shouldn't be too much an issue, but it's still worth checking.

Make sure all your PSU cables are all properly plugged in as well, I had an issue where the 24 pin wasn't plugged all the way into my PSU and I would get bad frames and crash a lot until I plugged it the rest of the way in. It came undone during a move. If it still doesn't work def try a fresh windows install and maybe try Windows 10 or try reinstalling your drivers.

• CPU
    i7 9700k
  • Motherboard
    MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
  • RAM
    2x - G.Skill Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 CL19 Memory
  • GPU
    MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB VENTUS 3X OC Video Card
  • Case
    NZXT H710i
  • Storage
    Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive, Inland 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • PSU
    Corsair RMx 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Display(s)
    Asus TUF Gaming VG279QM 27.0" 1920x1080 280 Hz Monitor, Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz Monitor
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken Z73 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler, Also 10 NZXT Aer F fans,
    ACIDALIE M.2 Heatsink,SSD Cooler for Pcie NVMe or SATA M2 2280 SSD Cooling with Fan, for ssd
  • Keyboard
    Custom GMMK Pro with Kailh Creams and Inukuma Keycaps
  • Mouse
    SteelSeries Aerox 3 Bluetooth Wireless Optical Mouse
  • Sound
    Klipsch - Reference Series 5-1/4" 340-Watt Passive 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers, Denon AVC-3000, with (GDSTIME Rounter TV Box Cooling Fans 480mm) for music, SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless Headset for gaming
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 (unactivated)
  • Laptop
    Apple Macbook Air
  • Phone
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro (Mous Carbon Fiber Case)

46 minutes ago, Terminal423 said:

Before jumping to a reformat (although at this point I get it), it would be worth throwing a synthetic load like 3DMark at it and comparing to other scores with the same GPU. If your GPU scores comparatively low that will point to a GPU or driver/OS issue. At that point it could be worth trying the reformat, but if you've used DDU and are using the latest drivers it's pretty unlikely that the drivers or OS are the cause. Personally I'd RMA the card at that point.

Also, though it can seem counter-intuitive, try cranking those games and seeing how they perform. Depending on the title, the game might defer some tasks to the CPU on lower settings. Granted with a 3900X this shouldn't be too much an issue, but it's still worth checking.

I have tried 3Dmark and I have got a score of 12935 (not sure if thats good but it's in the green in terms of comparison?) Comparing it to someone who has the exact same specs, I perform lower. I can still attempt to reformat in hopes of it fixing it.