Please someone help me with my CPU (performing poorly) (No longer I suspect it's my GPU at fault, it works fine on other rig)

E3FL
4 minutes ago, E3FL said:

RAM: Single Channel - 16gb RIPJAWS GSkill 

There is your reason. Ryzen benefits heavily from ram bandwidth and relatively high speed memory.

4 minutes ago, E3FL said:

I truly suspect it have a faulty build

No you just didnt get what you should have.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

9 minutes ago, Levent said:

There is your reason. Ryzen benefits heavily from ram bandwidth and relatively high speed memory.

No you just didnt get what you should have.

I dont know anymore Ive done everything I shouldve done. i just cant spend more money on this build, I just cant. Nothing online explains my low cpu and gpu count and i feel its such an easy fix but oh well nothing I can do about it right now 

3 minutes ago, E3FL said:

Nothing online explains my low cpu and gpu count

it's called a memory bottleneck

18 minutes ago, E3FL said:

RAM: Single Channel

If you can't feed the cpu it won't be able to feed information to the GPU for it to generate frames, let alone load itself up properly. The SSD should be fast enough

2 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

it's called a memory bottleneck

If you can't feed the cpu it won't be able to feed information to the GPU for it to generate frames, let alone load itself up properly. The SSD should be fast enough

Lets say it is memory bottlenecking, i still feel like that's not the problem. Im not saying youre wrong, but i feel that be a common enough fix that i should see people online trouble shooting. RAM bottlenecking isnt so rare, yet I saw no fix online stating that's a fix. I cant keep spending money on this build. Its really hurting me financially. i just have serious doubt another ram stick will help. And lets say i do buy it and it doesnt work... now what? Now I have a slightly heavier pc paper weight. This is why i refuse to spend more money. the past 300 dollars went in to attempt to fix it and did NOTHING. not a dollar more will go into this pc. It cant be that easy of a fix. and theres no way a single RAM stick makes the difference between 40 fps to 120 fps. 

solution without spending more : sell the ram and get 8gbx2
if not working, then sell the motherboard and get a cheaper B550.

5 minutes ago, E3FL said:

the past 300 dollars went in to attempt to fix it and did NOTHING.

well you made your bet. you should've just ask before in this forum.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 hour ago, E3FL said:

Lets say it is memory bottlenecking, i still feel like that's not the problem. Im not saying youre wrong, but i feel that be a common enough fix that i should see people online trouble shooting. RAM bottlenecking isnt so rare, yet I saw no fix online stating that's a fix. I cant keep spending money on this build. Its really hurting me financially. i just have serious doubt another ram stick will help. And lets say i do buy it and it doesnt work... now what? Now I have a slightly heavier pc paper weight. This is why i refuse to spend more money. the past 300 dollars went in to attempt to fix it and did NOTHING. not a dollar more will go into this pc. It cant be that easy of a fix. and theres no way a single RAM stick makes the difference between 40 fps to 120 fps. 

You got single channel RAM. Meaning you pretty much have half the speed of what you could have, that alone is a huge performance setback especially on ryzen. We also dont know what this mystery stick of ram is and if its actually running at its advertised clocks. Then there is also IF clock speed situation, where as default it matches DRAM frequency. So:

• Reduced RAM bandwidth due to single channel ram,
  • Reduced RAM bandwidth due to rams running at low frequency,
  • CPU performance might be reduced significantly due to IF being clocked to 1066mhz.

I am not sure how you ended up with your build but your CPU, SSD and RAM choices are definitely not that great and you could have gotten better components and have better performance in games by paying less.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

@E3FL I have merged your 3 threads together. Please keep to a single thread for a single problem/troubleshooting efforts. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

7 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

solution without spending more : sell the ram and get 8gbx2
if not working, then sell the motherboard and get a cheaper B550.

well you made your bet. you should've just ask before in this forum.

I did in the last 2 forums I made. 

6 minutes ago, Levent said:

You got single channel RAM. Meaning you pretty much have half the speed of what you could have, that alone is a huge performance setback especially on ryzen. We also dont know what this mystery stick of ram is and if its actually running at its advertised clocks. Then there is also IF clock speed situation, where as default it matches DRAM frequency. So:

• Reduced RAM bandwidth due to single channel ram,
  • Reduced RAM bandwidth due to rams running at low frequency,
  • Reduced CPU performance might be reduced significantly due to IF being clocked to 1066mhz.

I am not sure how you ended up with your build but your CPU, SSD and RAM choices are definitely not that great and you could have gotten better components and have better performance in games by paying less.

yeah i know man that fucking cpu costed me 500 fucking dollars and its completely dogshit

13 minutes ago, E3FL said:

yeah i know man that fucking cpu costed me 500 fucking dollars and its completely dogshit

sell it and get a ryzen 5600x + another 16gb ram.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

10 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

sell it and get a ryzen 5600x + another 16gb ram.

cant. no one will purposely buy a worse cpu.. besides, theres no way id get my money back. id have to sell it for like not even 300 dollars for someone to be interested. also no one in my area is into computers. Im just gonna have to eat the losses here and deal with this shitty performance but thats my fault i bought the dumb shit i get the dumb expectations

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

I have, what'd I say, a pretty higher end system and I am getting very poor gaming results. For starters: I have had this system for I'd say a year now and nothing has changed whatsoever. I have tried practically everything to encourage the GPU to use itself more but It refuses. I have tried for months searching the internet for fixes with no hopes.

My build specs are:

GPU: RTX 3070 Ti

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x

PSU: EVGA SuperNova GT 750 80 PLUS Gold

RAM: GSkill RIPJAWS 16 GB Single Channel

Monitor: ASUS 144hz 1080p

I would truly request some help to fix this problem. I can have the game setting to the highest or lowest and scrape up just 50~ Fps. Why? Do high end cards just don't fair well with certain games? Could it be a RAM issue as I am using single channel? GPU usage rate doesn't break 50% usage. I have also deemed the card to not be faulty as I have tried it in another system and it works great. 

Please, I am begging someone to help me here. I've tried everything I could see with 0 performance increase, I have tried reseating the card multiple times, got a new PSU, enabled "Prefer Maximum Performance" for both NVIDIA control panel and Windows. Hell, I even returned my CPU in me thinking that was faulty. What more can I do? All there is to know is GPU performs badly in most games, regardless of resolution and quality. The main problem is usage and to what I believe is a easy fix, I can't for the life of me fix it.

Thanks.

Why are you using single channel RAM?  Just 1 DIMM?

Yes, nothing you have said you tried is a true performance changer.    Single channel RAM is a castrater for performance, so grab another DIMM of the same.

I don't think you're relaying the problem full to us.  Highest or lowest settings still only get 50fps?  That's summarily impossible to not have SOME change in fps.

Can we get real examples of performance?

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

• 1 month later...

Before I begin let me post my specs below:

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 Watt Gold

RAM: 1x GSKILL RIPJAWS 16 GB

GPU: RTX 3070 Ti FE

Motherboard: TuF Gaming X-570 PLUS (Wi-Fi)

SSD: Samsung SSD 870 QVO 1TB

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x

Yes, all of these parts combined costed me about 2000$ (after inflation) and when i say it runs bad.. It runs BADLY. i play at 1080p 144hz, no biggie I thought, I guess not, I am not going over 55 fps and that's literally a fact i could post the results but im tired atm but i will if needed, i have had this problem for like 2 years. at first I thought, oh, guess i got a bad gpu.. nope, tested it on a friends build, works perfectly, then i thought, huh, the CPU must be bad, so i RMA'd it, got a new cpu, nope! didnt fix it. Then I say, oh! must be the ram, right? nope! Tried a buddies' 2x 8GB ram set, and still nothing. What's wrong here? Aren't these components supposed to at LEAST hit 90 fps?? Whats wrong? I've reformatted windows, i've wiped my DDU drivers like 10 times, ive reseated my gpu more times than i remember, reseated EVERY COMPONENT 3 TIMES, looked online desperately for months about this issue and i have no hope. Why? I know everything is plugged in properly, nothing overheats (gpu rarely breaks 75 C cpu never went over 60 C) I had just bought a BEEFY PSU thinking i had a bad psu.. still nothing. no viruses, no loose cables, no driver issues, nothing. I have tried everything and im at a complete loss. and actually this is the 4th time i come on the LTT forums to get help about this, which all 4 were not successful. I really want my pc to work so badly, and its been like this for 2 years. at first i thought that this was normal and that maybe i have really badly optimized games, except that cant be. Fortnite: being one of the most optimized games STRUGGLES to hit 80 FPS. What gives? Lowering all the settings to low actually make it worse. And the stuttering.. oh my god the latency is like 50 ms... what can i do here? Im so desperate for a fix im literally willing to pay the person who can help fix this, ive done this for 2 years and gave up basically my life savings for a system that doesnt work. I've seen WORSE systems preform better. I dont get it. im so tired of waking up and going at my pc again to find no improvement daily. NVIDIA support team wont help me, AMD barely did, this is the only place i can hope for a fix. Please, anything will help I beg of you

Thank you

What games?

What settings?

There are 2 obvious things wrong.

First you have one of the slowest ssds available right now

Secondly and this is quite literally the reason performance is bad is you having a single stick of ram.

Ryzen NEEDS dual channel and it also WANTS fast memory. If you are running without dual channel ram (so 2 sticks) you can easily lose 50% performance.

Get another stick of ram and watch things go fast

I know you said you used a buddies set but this is really one of the biggest issues here flat out. Did you put them in the correct slots that enable dual channel?

now for other things not mentioned here:

Whats the cpu and gpu clockspeed under load?

Can you try some synthetic benchmarks like cinebench and such?

The issues described in fortbite flat out are expected without dual channel ram.

Also did you reinstall windows?

Just now, jaslion said:

What games?

What settings?

Secondly and this is quite literally the reason performance is bad is you having a single stick of ram.

Ryzen NEEDS dual channel and it also WANTS fast memory. If you are running without dual channel ram (so 2 sticks) you can easily lose 50% performance.

I have gotten this answer before about the ram, which is why i mention that i have borrowed dual channel ram from a friend to trouble shoot, which did nothing. The SSD part.. is it really that slow..? i mean I was eventually planning on upgrading that, but does it really affect my performance that badly?

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What games?

What settings?

Sorry forgot to answer the game settings, i try to play at just high settings, not ultra at I wish 120-144 hz but barely scrape 80 fps

Just now, E3FL said:

I have gotten this answer before about the ram, which is why i mention that i have borrowed dual channel ram from a friend to trouble shoot, which did nothing. The SSD part.. is it really that slow..? i mean I was eventually planning on upgrading that, but does it really affect my performance that badly?

Sorry wasnt done writing but hit post edited my reply.

The qvo drives are in write slower than hdds but not bad in read performance. However they get crippled when windows is on it so that explains loading issues and stuttering when entering new parts of a map

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

The qvo drives are in write slower than hdds but not bad in read performance. However they get crippled when windows is on it so that explains loading issues and stuttering when entering new parts of a map

I don't think you're wrong by any means at all, but i am skeptical.. A better storage drive should possible fix my issue? And if so, I was thinking of getting a M.2 drive but in all honesty i feel an issue as great as this i wouldn't think it'd be just a storage thing. but to add, i just remembered i dont think i ever checked the memory frequency of the dual ram sticks i borrowed at that one point and im not sure if thats a key factor (being ram sometimes defaults to the lowest freq.) so maybe i missed that?

Just now, E3FL said:

I don't think you're wrong by any means at all, but i am skeptical.. A better storage drive should possible fix my issue? And if so, I was thinking of getting a M.2 drive but in all honesty i feel an issue as great as this i wouldn't think it'd be just a storage thing. but to add, i just remembered i dont think i ever checked the memory frequency of the dual ram sticks i borrowed at that one point and im not sure if thats a key factor (being ram sometimes defaults to the lowest freq.) so maybe i missed that?

Oh yeah that can for sure be an issue. Because if its at 2133mhz even in dual channel it will be slow. Also your board eill boot with them in the wrong slot but break dual channel so if that happened you lost any gains that you should have seen

Also do run a cinebench run and see your score to see how far your 3900x is behind others rn.

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Have a separate drive for games, preferably a m.2 nvme drive.

So a nice thing is that I have a 3900x + 3090 and I have experienced these exact same issues including accidentally installing windows on a 860qvo and fixinf ssd + ram was a massive difference

3 minutes ago, JKRsega said:

Have a separate drive for games, preferably a m.2 nvme drive.

Doesnt have to be a separate drive just a drive that isnt pure low end slow tlc with a slow slc cache

The 870 qvo is a ton better than the 860qvo but still terrible. Basically like an intel 660p and that drive showrd the problems of too slow ssds years ago

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

So a nice thing is that I have a 3900x + 3090 and I have experienced these exact same issues including accidentally installing windows on a 860qvo and fixinf ssd + ram was a massive difference

What a coincidence indeed.. I assume multi core benchmarking is what i should be doing, right? Ive benchmarked it before and it seemed fine but i forgot the actual score, ill do it anyways and share the result

1 minute ago, E3FL said:

What a coincidence indeed.. I assume multi core benchmarking is what i should be doing, right? Ive benchmarked it before and it seemed fine but i forgot the actual score, ill do it anyways and share the result

Yes do multicore in r23

Then we can see what performance it has in a not memory dependant benchmark.

Just to see if there is no problem there