Whats the max amount of storage i can put in the HP Proliant dl360 G5

So if bought 2 HP Proliant dl360 G5 and i want to upgrade the storage but any disk i put in didnt work exept for the original disks. the disks I tried where 1TB big so it could be that it dooesnt except 1TB disks.

Dual X5690 my beloved.

according to the data sheet that machine only supports 6x 146gb sas drives or 6x 60gb sata drives on the stock internal controller.

Basically it doesnt even support 1tb across the entire controller

25 minutes ago, FuchsFuchs1 said:

So if bought 2 HP Proliant dl360 G5 and i want to upgrade the storage but any disk i put in didnt work exept for the original disks. the disks I tried where 1TB big so it could be that it dooesnt except 1TB disks.

Off the top of my head, I'd look at the block size that the disks are set to. 

24 minutes ago, emosun said:

according to the data sheet that machine only supports 6x 146gb sas drives or 6x 60gb sata drives on the stock internal controller.

Basically it doesnt even support 1tb across the entire controller

💀 
that sucks

Dual X5690 my beloved.

is there a way to modify that?

Dual X5690 my beloved.

1 hour ago, FuchsFuchs1 said:

That generation with the original SAS controller supports maximum 2TB disks. 2.5" disks greater than 2TB are rare and expensive anyway so not a big deal, what is more of a problem is that generation server is extremely old now. Low end used/second hand desktops are faster.

Also you cannot just put disks in, you have to configure them in an array, you can do this at boot, there is a keyboard prompt to go in to the RAID card BIOS.

The maximum possible only using internal disks would be 6x 2TB or 12TB raw. You can use external disk enclosures for larger capacity but you'd need to buy a RAID card with external SAS connectors as well as the disk enclosure, rather costly unless you really need lots of storage (100TB+).

how to tell that it has the original controller?

Dual X5690 my beloved.

23 minutes ago, FuchsFuchs1 said:

how to tell that it has the original controller?

When it boots it'll say the controller model name, this is also when you press the keyboard prompt to go in to the RAID card BIOS (not the server BIOS). In there it will also say.

It will be Smart Array E200i or P400i, P400i is more common.

On 4/26/2022 at 8:31 AM, leadeater said:

When it boots it'll say the controller model name, this is also when you press the keyboard prompt to go in to the RAID card BIOS (not the server BIOS). In there it will also say.

It will be Smart Array E200i or P400i, P400i is more common.

Its a P400i it was in the boot screen. and theres nothing that says raid bios.

Dual X5690 my beloved.

42 minutes ago, FuchsFuchs1 said:

Its a P400i it was in the boot screen. and theres nothing that says raid bios.

Have a watch of this video (just one I grabbed via google search), I've linked the time code to where it's asking to press F8 to go in to the RAID configuration

Also HPE doc link for the same thing but it's text only

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c01158884-5

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

Have a watch of this video (just one I grabbed via google search), I've linked the time code to where it's asking to press F8 to go in to the RAID configuration

Also HPE doc link for the same thing but it's text only

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c01158884-5

well i alredy found it butthanks for the link. well its called "ROM Bios" and not raid bios

Dual X5690 my beloved.

1 hour ago, FuchsFuchs1 said:

well i alredy found it butthanks for the link. well its called "ROM Bios" and not raid bios

It's the BIOS of the RAID card, you'll have to forgive the difference in naming but it's changed over the years. You have a G5 from decades ago, Gen 10 Plus v2 (haha yea it's that silly) is the current generation and Gen 11 should be coming soon. Every vendor also uses different name btw so just be aware of that.

It's just better to say RAID BIOS because then you know it's not go in to the server BIOS, even though in modern servers you can actually configure or load up the RAID bios from there heh.

Anyway just remember if you delete an array after you have used it and put data on it then the data is destroyed. You can also install RAID card management software once you have an OS installed and it's much easier to use that.

14 hours ago, leadeater said:

It's the BIOS of the RAID card, you'll have to forgive the difference in naming but it's changed over the years. You have a G5 from decades ago, Gen 10 Plus v2 (haha yea it's that silly) is the current generation and Gen 11 should be coming soon. Every vendor also uses different name btw so just be aware of that.

It's just better to say RAID BIOS because then you know it's not go in to the server BIOS, even though in modern servers you can actually configure or load up the RAID bios from there heh.

Anyway just remember if you delete an array after you have used it and put data on it then the data is destroyed. You can also install RAID card management software once you have an OS installed and it's much easier to use that.

i actualy alredy installed a os. so what management software do you recommend? note: im on windows

Dual X5690 my beloved.

29 minutes ago, FuchsFuchs1 said:

it says os not supported

You don't say what OS you're using, but honestly support for this server ended almost a decade ago.

Its support documentation says Windows Server 2003, so id be surprised if it supports software newer than Windows 2008 / 2008 R2 https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?cc=us&docId=emr_na-c00715072&lang=en-us

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

It looks like this is the last supported Array Configuration utility for that server: https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?language=en_US&softwareId=MTX_d68f479dccb4474b8981300239

Compatibility:

Operating System(s)

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for 64-bit Extended Systems
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Essential Business
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation Edition
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Small Business
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 x64
Microsoft Windows Storage Server 2003 x64 Editions
Microsoft Windows Unified Data Storage Server 2003 x64 Edition

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

8 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

It looks like this is the last supported Array Configuration utility for that server: https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?language=en_US&softwareId=MTX_d68f479dccb4474b8981300239

Compatibility:

Operating System(s)

well i run windows server 2019 so i guess it wont work

Dual X5690 my beloved.

9 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

Compatibility:

Operating System(s)

i downloaded the file and it installed

Dual X5690 my beloved.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/26/2022 at 7:39 AM, leadeater said:

That generation with the original SAS controller supports maximum 2TB disks. 2.5" disks greater than 2TB are rare and expensive anyway so not a big deal, what is more of a problem is that generation server is extremely old now. Low end used/second hand desktops are faster.

Also you cannot just put disks in, you have to configure them in an array, you can do this at boot, there is a keyboard prompt to go in to the RAID card BIOS.

The maximum possible only using internal disks would be 6x 2TB or 12TB raw. You can use external disk enclosures for larger capacity but you'd need to buy a RAID card with external SAS connectors as well as the disk enclosure, rather costly unless you really need lots of storage (100TB+).

i have put a 1TB disc in and it doesnt work. Any 1TB disc i put in it doesnt work.

Edited by FuchsFuchs1
did more testing

Dual X5690 my beloved.