Modem Help/Questions

BardAnon
Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
9 hours ago, BardAnon said:

Tl;dr Modem randomly disconnects from internet several times a day, should I replace it or call a technician?

My current modem, which is rented through Comcast/Xfinity, is an ARRIS TG1682G that connects to the internet with a coaxial cable. My current plan is for a max of 50 Mbps download speeds. I've had this modem for almost 4 years. A few months ago, I noticed my devices would occasionally remain connected to my wifi/modem, but without being able to connect to the internet. A simple reset of the modem was enough to fix this. In the last few months, my modem now regularly disconnects from the internet several times a day. My devices will all still be connected to the modem/wifi itself, but there is no connection to the internet. This happens seemingly at random times. I'm assuming that it is because of a problem with my modem, so I wanted to use this opportunity to just buy a new modem/router, rather than pay over $100 for a technician to come take a look at it and keep paying the rental fee for the current modem. So, I had two questions, since I am not too familiar with modems/routers.

1. Am I correct in assuming this is most likely a modem issue, or should I have a technician come out to make sure it is not a problem with the cable?
  2. What would be a good substitute for my current modem? I'd prefer a modem/router combo, but I just want to make sure that I am not downgrading. The device comparison site that Xfinity provides doesn't include all of the information about non-rental modems.

1) Its hard to say. See Coax based internet runs with in a select range. If the signal gets out of that range you have issues. Generally you can check the signal going to your modem by going to 192.168.100.1, now Im not sure if this with work on a gateway device like you have. If its a signal issue then you will likely need a tech out to check things out. Another option if you have an Xfinity store near you, you could try exchanging the gateway out for a new one. If the new one has issues then its likely a signal problem that requires a tech, if not then you go right ahead and buy your own. 

2) Modem router combos are generally considered shit. You're probably just one speed tier away from the slowest service. Any Docsis 3.0 or 3.1 modem will work. That being said, having a modem that supports more channels than you need is always better. If it were me, id look at getting a Docsis 3.1 modem. Is it necessary for your service? No. BUT with more downstream and upstream channels you will feel congestion on their network less. Also. you wont have to worry about needing to upgrade your modem if they bump your speeds. For example I had to buy a new modem in February because we went from 200 Mbps to 300 Mbps and my 8x4 modem was not able to do 300 Mbps.  Make sure you look at the My Device page at Comcast for what modems are supported. 

Edit: Dont buy any Docsis 3.0 32x8 modems. The intel Puma 6 chip they use is known to some times have issues. Its better just to go for a Docsis 3.1 modem if you have a 32x8 modem. 

Tl;dr Modem randomly disconnects from internet several times a day, should I replace it or call a technician?

My current modem, which is rented through Comcast/Xfinity, is an ARRIS TG1682G that connects to the internet with a coaxial cable. My current plan is for a max of 50 Mbps download speeds. I've had this modem for almost 4 years. A few months ago, I noticed my devices would occasionally remain connected to my wifi/modem, but without being able to connect to the internet. A simple reset of the modem was enough to fix this. In the last few months, my modem now regularly disconnects from the internet several times a day. My devices will all still be connected to the modem/wifi itself, but there is no connection to the internet. This happens seemingly at random times. I'm assuming that it is because of a problem with my modem, so I wanted to use this opportunity to just buy a new modem/router, rather than pay over $100 for a technician to come take a look at it and keep paying the rental fee for the current modem. So, I had two questions, since I am not too familiar with modems/routers.

1. Am I correct in assuming this is most likely a modem issue, or should I have a technician come out to make sure it is not a problem with the cable?
  2. What would be a good substitute for my current modem? I'd prefer a modem/router combo, but I just want to make sure that I am not downgrading. The device comparison site that Xfinity provides doesn't include all of the information about non-rental modems.

9 hours ago, BardAnon said:

1) Its hard to say. See Coax based internet runs with in a select range. If the signal gets out of that range you have issues. Generally you can check the signal going to your modem by going to 192.168.100.1, now Im not sure if this with work on a gateway device like you have. If its a signal issue then you will likely need a tech out to check things out. Another option if you have an Xfinity store near you, you could try exchanging the gateway out for a new one. If the new one has issues then its likely a signal problem that requires a tech, if not then you go right ahead and buy your own. 

2) Modem router combos are generally considered shit. You're probably just one speed tier away from the slowest service. Any Docsis 3.0 or 3.1 modem will work. That being said, having a modem that supports more channels than you need is always better. If it were me, id look at getting a Docsis 3.1 modem. Is it necessary for your service? No. BUT with more downstream and upstream channels you will feel congestion on their network less. Also. you wont have to worry about needing to upgrade your modem if they bump your speeds. For example I had to buy a new modem in February because we went from 200 Mbps to 300 Mbps and my 8x4 modem was not able to do 300 Mbps.  Make sure you look at the My Device page at Comcast for what modems are supported. 

Edit: Dont buy any Docsis 3.0 32x8 modems. The intel Puma 6 chip they use is known to some times have issues. Its better just to go for a Docsis 3.1 modem if you have a 32x8 modem. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.