Brand new Intel wifi 6 ax booster?

Longbow1

So i just build a new rig.  i5-12600k.....love it.......came with new wifi 6 onboard, but only 2 antennas........I have a older asus ac68 pcie card installed........3 antennas and a remote cable so i can elevate.  Roommate just upgraded to gig internet and has a great asus ax router.  My problem is the ax protocol doesnt reach far enough and i only get about 250-275 on the intel wifi6, but when i try with the older asus card i get 450-500!!  Are there better antenna's or someway to boost the speed?  Directional antenna?  and i have heard that 5ghz ac can only max at 866 MBs, so am i just screwed with brand new internet that i have to pay for but cant fully realize the speeds?

Thanks

Thoughts?

26 minutes ago, Longbow1 said:

So i just build a new rig.  i5-12600k.....love it.......came with new wifi 6 onboard, but only 2 antennas........I have a older asus ac68 pcie card installed........3 antennas and a remote cable so i can elevate.  Roommate just upgraded to gig internet and has a great asus ax router.  My problem is the ax protocol doesnt reach far enough and i only get about 250-275 on the intel wifi6, but when i try with the older asus card i get 450-500!!  Are there better antenna's or someway to boost the speed?  Directional antenna?  and i have heard that 5ghz ac can only max at 866 MBs, so am i just screwed with brand new internet that i have to pay for but cant fully realize the speeds?

Thanks

Thoughts?

There is more than one way to go about it just depends need little more info. Model of AX router would help as well.

What motherboard do you have? You could probably attach 3-6ft sma cables and get some higher gain antennas.
Is running hardwire out of the question?

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's

I've always said, Wifi's place is laptops, phones and tablets. If you're serious about bandwidth, you wire your PC. 

Also the number of antenna's has no correlation here. Wifi 6 has a 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz mode, which are you using? 2.4Ghz has more range, lower bandwidth and better object penetration, while 5Ghz is the opposite. You just need to find what works better for your environment and change channels to see if you can improve things.  

1 hour ago, Longbow1 said:

Thoughts?

If you’re using an Intel WiFi 6 adapter, it’s likely the AX200 or AX210, which both have 2x2 antennae. To achieve the high speeds of WiFi 6, you’ll need to be in close proximity to a WiFi 6 router that is broadcasting on the 5GHz band at 80-160MHz channel width and no other sources of interference/obstruction around. That’s quite a few things to get in place, then it’s just luck! The other adapter likely has support for more streams on its antennae, which will increase overall throughput.

Important to realize is that if there are walls or floors in between your computer and the wireless router/AP, your speed will drop on 5GHz. Some APs will try to use other technologies to “intelligently” direct the signal to where it’s needed, but solid brick walls or metal are going to make this much more difficult.

Finally, not all WiFi 6 routers/APs use the 6-standard on both antennae. Some only implement it on the 5GHz antenna, leaving the 2.4GHz antenna to run at WiFi 4 speeds. If you’re at a distance from the AP and there are intervening walls or floors, you might be connecting to the 2.4GHz antenna.

there are 2 standard interior drywalls and a open room of about 30 ft.  No furniture at all.  Total distance to router is 42 ft.  i measured it.  The inteil wifi6 in the ax201 at 160mhx.  Motherboard is MSI pro 690-a d4 wifi..  Router is a asus xr1000.  That router should be running wifi6 on 5ghz by default.  When i connect to 2.4 ghz with either the wifi6 of the asus ac band card, i get like 90-120.  Doesnt matter which adapter is used.  The huge difference is the 5 ghz.  I used to get like 450 when we had 500 Mbs service and now that we are all paying for gig, there is no speed change.  Is there a setting i could suggest he look at to make sure the its setup properly?  he gets like 1.2 gbs but his rig is like 12 feet from the router.

thoughts?

2 hours ago, ddennis002 said:

There is more than one way to go about it just depends need little more info. Model of AX router would help as well.

What motherboard do you have? You could probably attach 3-6ft sma cables and get some higher gain antennas.
Is running hardwire out of the question?

go higher gain antenna's always mean better signal?  I thought it was just the wave the signal comes of the antenna itself (vs omni-directional)?

Thanks

48 minutes ago, Longbow1 said:

there are 2 standard interior drywalls and a open room of about 30 ft.  No furniture at all.  Total distance to router is 42 ft.  i measured it.  The inteil wifi6 in the ax201 at 160mhx.  Motherboard is MSI pro 690-a d4 wifi..  Router is a asus xr1000.  That router should be running wifi6 on 5ghz by default.  When i connect to 2.4 ghz with either the wifi6 of the asus ac band card, i get like 90-120.  Doesnt matter which adapter is used.  The huge difference is the 5 ghz.  I used to get like 450 when we had 500 Mbs service and now that we are all paying for gig, there is no speed change.  Is there a setting i could suggest he look at to make sure the its setup properly?  he gets like 1.2 gbs but his rig is like 12 feet from the router.

thoughts?

@Falcon1986gave some good advice in his post.

To follow up after looking at the spec for the router and wireless card. I would imagine you are on the tail end of the 160Mhz that the RX1000 can do. The reason why your why your old adapter is pulling better speed is because it is locking on at 80Mhz which brings a stronger signal = higher speed.

Things you can to improve your speed on the ax201 is go into the advanced setting and force it to 80Mhz this should get you up closer to the asus adapter. 

Make sure the AP is as high up as possible. Make sure the antenna's on the RX1000 are installed correctly this matters on this router.

In the router UI make sure QOS is turned off QOS is not needed when you have a connection for only a few people of 200Mbps or higher.

Also in Wireless Setup Turn off OFDMA in 5Ghz this will help imrpove bandwidth.

Make sure that the 5Ghz channel you are on is not conjested in your area around the client or the router. 

37 minutes ago, Longbow1 said:

go higher gain antenna's always mean better signal?  I thought it was just the wave the signal comes of the antenna itself (vs omni-directional)?

Thanks

High gain directional antenna on the ax201 side will result in better speed, it will provide a stronger signal to and from.   

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's

11 hours ago, ddennis002 said:

@Falcon1986gave some good advice in his post.

To follow up after looking at the spec for the router and wireless card. I would imagine you are on the tail end of the 160Mhz that the RX1000 can do. The reason why your why your old adapter is pulling better speed is because it is locking on at 80Mhz which brings a stronger signal = higher speed.

Things you can to improve your speed on the ax201 is go into the advanced setting and force it to 80Mhz this should get you up closer to the asus adapter. 

Make sure the AP is as high up as possible. Make sure the antenna's on the RX1000 are installed correctly this matters on this router.

In the router UI make sure QOS is turned off QOS is not needed when you have a connection for only a few people of 200Mbps or higher.

Also in Wireless Setup Turn off OFDMA in 5Ghz this will help imrpove bandwidth.

Make sure that the 5Ghz channel you are on is not conjested in your area around the client or the router. 

High gain directional antenna on the ax201 side will result in better speed, it will provide a stronger signal to and from.   

how does one force it to connect at 80 mhz?  I just click connect and it connects.  How do i force a certain channel?  I will look to see if the QOS is turned on.  

13 hours ago, Longbow1 said:

The inteil wifi6 in the ax201 at 160mhx.

I hope you’re not looking at the hardware description to confirm the 160MHz channel width. While the AX201 might support that channel width, the AP has to support it as well and be actively broadcasting at this width for you to say this definitively.

Run WiFiman or another wireless analyzer/survey tool (with support for “seeing” 80-160MHz channel widths) to verify. Also, check the wireless settings within the router to see the options for manually changing the antenna’s channel width.

Router is a asus xr1000.

Not seeing this exact model. Are you sure this isn’t a Netgear device?

Total distance to router is 42 ft.  i measured it.

At that distance and with 2 intervening walls, you’re pretty much getting a decent speed on that router on 5GHz.

12 hours ago, ddennis002 said:

With “high gain” antennae, you actually lose the omnidirectional pattern. Unless you want to focus the signal in a particular direction, this isn’t going to do much in a home where an omnidirectional pattern is best.

56 minutes ago, Longbow1 said:

how does one force it to connect at 80 mhz?  I just click connect and it connects.  How do i force a certain channel?  I will look to see if the QOS is turned on.  

You need to access the WiFi antenna settings on the router itself.

8 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

I hope you’re not looking at the hardware description to confirm the 160MHz channel width. While the AX201 might support that channel width, the AP has to support it as well and be actively broadcasting at this width for you to say this definitively.

Run WiFiman or another wireless analyzer/survey tool (with support for “seeing” 80-160MHz channel widths) to verify. Also, check the wireless settings within the router to see the options for manually changing the antenna’s channel width.

Not seeing this exact model. Are you sure this isn’t a Netgear device?

At that distance and with 2 intervening walls, you’re pretty much getting a decent speed on that router on 5GHz.

With “high gain” antennae, you actually lose the omnidirectional pattern. Unless you want to focus the signal in a particular direction, this isn’t going to do much in a home where an omnidirectional pattern is best.

You need to access the WiFi antenna settings on the router itself.

sorry, you are correct, its a netgear.  the ax201 is connected to the router on channel 44.  signal is -58 db.  Looking at the WiFiman app, its showing the 2.4ghz with only -46 db.  There is no way for 2.4 to go as fast as 5ghz?  Correct?  2.4 is longer range but slower, and 5 is faster(higher energy) but does not transmit as far.  Correct?  Thanks for all you help!!!!

23 minutes ago, Longbow1 said:

sorry, you are correct, its a netgear.  the ax201 is connected to the router on channel 44.  signal is -58 db.  Looking at the WiFiman app, its showing the 2.4ghz with only -46 db.  There is no way for 2.4 to go as fast as 5ghz?  Correct?  2.4 is longer range but slower, and 5 is faster(higher energy) but does not transmit as far.  Correct?  Thanks for all you help!!!!

Did you try using the antenna from the other WiFi adapter, just plug in two of the three cables?

After-market antennas are available if this is shown to improve things.

45 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

As long as the directional antenna supports 2x2 MIMO and is pointed at the router, it could very well improve things.  Trouble is, you'll never know without trying.  WiFi is very much trial and error to get optimum results.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7