GPU share according to Steam Survey (Feb 2022 data)

porina

I manually transcribed the currently shown Steam Hardware Survey GPU numbers and used it to obtain the following. Disclaimers: I might have made typos or omissions. Steam Hardware Survey (I'm gonna call it SHS from now) reports values to two decimal places so there will be rounding errors especially on the low end. SHS may be inconsistent in how they present data in different places. For example, there's 0.21% "others" (not Intel, AMD, nvidia) yet Apple have a line at 0.95%. There's an ~11% "others" in the breakdown so that could swing categories depending on what they are. Notably absent are newer AMD GPUs which presumably were individually too small to make the cut, but could still contribute if they would be listed.

Overall reported usage:

nvidia 76%

AMD 15%

Intel 9%

Others within a rounding error - Apple actually get on the list with the G13G which is apparently from the M1.

Anyway, let's break down AMD's GPUs first. We get:

45% Polaris

14% RDNA1

2% RDNA2

15% "Radeon" whatever that is

24% APUs

Given the lack of Vega dGPUs on the list, I have to wonder if that "Radeon" category is due to how the driver reports them and how it is picked up by SHS. Vega APUs are identified and I've put in the APU pile. The RX 590, as the only Polaris card AMD recommends for 1080p output with FSR 2.0, makes up about 5% of Polaris cards overall. RDNA2 is only represented by the 6700 XT. Other models failed to make the cut to be individually listed so this probably under-represents the category.

On Intel, it's all integrated graphics and nothing too interesting there. I do notice the way they're listed, if there might be some double counting of certain models, perhaps if they report back in two ways through the stack. Still, not really significant as everything else will scale accordingly.

On nvidia, my how many models they have! 

If we break down by generation we get:

16% Ampere (split 6% mobile, 11% not mobile, yay rounding error)

39% Turing (split 17% RTX, 22% GTX)

32% Pascal 

8% Maxwell 

5% Older + MX

Despite the shortages there are practically as many Ampere GPUs in use as Turing RTX GPUs. Interesting about a third of Ampere ended up as laptop versions though. Still some decent numbers on Pascal but it looks like Maxwell is falling off now. 

As much stick as some give RTX, there are over 50% more of them deployed than all of AMD combined including APUs! 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I be running that good old kepler

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

34 minutes ago, porina said:

32% Pascal 

31.9% 1060's :^) 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25