Case Cooling solution?

Hi there! 

So I think my case honestly needs more fans as well.... the only cooling solution I have is one fan built into the case, my CPU cooler and my GPU fans. (Yes I know dreadful)

Im truthfully not sure how many fans I can fit on this case? I know I definitely can add one more. Im hoping for two at the front (Built in case fan included) and maybe 1 at the back if poss. My current build is this https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/yVjcqm Im just wondering on what fans people suggest? I dont exactly need RGB as nothing else is really RGB. Just prefer functionality and preferably cheap if poss. Im from the UK so it'd need to be from a UK provider! 

Thank you everyone who can help! 

2x120mm fans up front and 1x120mm fan as exhaust is a staple, usually gets the job done no problem.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

2x120mm fans up front and 1x120mm fan as exhaust is a staple, usually gets the job done no problem.

Would a 120mm fan fit for my case? Im not really certain on dimensions to be quite honest! 

What fans would you recommend if any? Preferably in a 3 pack if they sell them in three's! 

7 minutes ago, XxRescueRabbitxX said:

Would a 120mm fan fit for my case? Im not really certain on dimensions to be quite honest! 

What fans would you recommend if any? Preferably in a 3 pack if they sell them in three's! 

Right off the bat, I can't suggest that P350X, its an older style without a blank plastic front which isn't great for unimpeded intake air. 

Phanteks makes the wonderful P360A with a full mesh front intake and two included front RGB intake fans. You could get a 5-pack of Arctic P12's for $35USD to fill out the rest of the case nicely and have a few extra. 

2 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Right off the bat, I can't suggest that P350X, its an older style without a blank plastic front which isn't great for unimpeded intake air. 

Phanteks makes the wonderful P360A with a full mesh front intake and two included front RGB intake fans. You could get a 5-pack of Arctic P12's for $35USD to fill out the rest of the case nicely and have a few extra. 

Unfortunately I dont have the means to buy a new case as im still actually having to buy the PSU and CPU on that list. But maybe in the future I can upgrade it to that case considering im familiar with the Phanteks cases! So def good idea. 

Are the Artic P12's actually good for that price? That seems really cheap for some fans honestly. And I know I might sound dumb. Im kind of a first time PC builder so im learning as I go but how would I actually connect these to my motherboard? As im certain I have only two pin sockets for fans and one is my CPU cooler and the other is my one fan at the front right now. 

4 minutes ago, XxRescueRabbitxX said:

Are the Artic P12's actually good for that price? That seems really cheap for some fans honestly. And I know I might sound dumb. Im kind of a first time PC builder so im learning as I go but how would I actually connect these to my motherboard? As im certain I have only two pin sockets for fans and one is my CPU cooler and the other is my one fan at the front right now. 

They're well known to be incredible for the price. The budget kings, so to speak. A few PWM fan splitters and you're good to go. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-Way-Splitter/dp/B07PXLHNZ6/

As far as Case Fan support according to Phanteks manual: https://phanteks.com/assets/manuals/PH-EC350PTG.pdf

You can have 2x 120mm fans (1 is included from the factory in this case) or mount 2x 140mm fans up front.

The top of the case will handle again 2x 120's or 2x 140's.

The rear will handle a single 120 for exhaust.

Now the next question to ask is how many fans can your motherboard handle without splitters as that will be your absolute baseline that you can fall back on should for some reason the splitters don't work for you. (I personally have had control issues with splitters in the past but its long enough ago now that those issues might not exist anymore).

If you get a three pack of P12's then you have two up front and the third in the back and its a nice standard issue setup unless you start trying to overclock or load up the case with hard drives blocking the air flow somewhat. On that note I do agree that for future reference if a case has a solid front just say no.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

48 minutes ago, Hybris5112 said:

As far as Case Fan support according to Phanteks manual: https://phanteks.com/assets/manuals/PH-EC350PTG.pdf

You can have 2x 120mm fans (1 is included from the factory in this case) or mount 2x 140mm fans up front.

The top of the case will handle again 2x 120's or 2x 140's.

The rear will handle a single 120 for exhaust.

Now the next question to ask is how many fans can your motherboard handle without splitters as that will be your absolute baseline that you can fall back on should for some reason the splitters don't work for you. (I personally have had control issues with splitters in the past but its long enough ago now that those issues might not exist anymore).

If you get a three pack of P12's then you have two up front and the third in the back and its a nice standard issue setup unless you start trying to overclock or load up the case with hard drives blocking the air flow somewhat. On that note I do agree that for future reference if a case has a solid front just say no.

Ah okay that’s really helpful! I’d most likely do 5, 120mm just for the sake of it all matching. 

See this is the problem. I only have two fan pins. One is for my CPU cooler and the other is for case fans. My one built in fan that came with the case is currently in that one slot. So to maximise how many fans I can have I’d need two splitters. Unless they do a 5 way splitter which I doubt. And I’d have to attach a splitter IN a splitter. Which I hope would be okay?

I only have one hard drive, one SSD and one NVMe SSD and the other two are in hard drive bays so I wouldn’t be loading it up massively. So you agree P12’s are great for both effectiveness and price value?

Honestly yeah I see that now. But when my pc was built before it was an ex who picked the parts for me to buy and they built it. I’ve been getting into pc building myself just trying to upgrade my current pc and I’ve learnt now it was stupid getting this case. 

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

They're well known to be incredible for the price. The budget kings, so to speak. A few PWM fan splitters and you're good to go. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-Way-Splitter/dp/B07PXLHNZ6/

I mean 5 for £18 pounds for me which is great! I’ll have to buy them alongside my new PSU. 

So with these fan splitters could I put a splitter into a splitter? So I can get 4 of the new fans in my case (including the fan that came with the case) ? Or just stick to one but only be able to use 3 fans in my case (including the fan that came with the case).

6 minutes ago, XxRescueRabbitxX said:

I mean 5 for £18 pounds for me which is great! I’ll have to buy them alongside my new PSU. 

So with these fan splitters could I put a splitter into a splitter? So I can get 4 of the new fans in my case (including the fan that came with the case) ? Or just stick to one but only be able to use 3 fans in my case (including the fan that came with the case).

Don't do that. If you have two fan headers, use a splitter on each, you'd be able to run 6 fans. 

Better yet, the Arctic fan hub. Can power up to 10 fans comfortably that can all be controlled from one fan header on the motherboard. 

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Case-Fan-Hub-Distributor/dp/B0887VG14J/

Just now, GuiltySpark_ said:

Don't do that. If you have two fan headers, use a splitter on each, you'd be able to run 6 fans. That or a powered fan hub

Better yet, the Arctic fan hub. Can power up to 10 fans comfortably that can all be controlled from one fan header on the motherboard. 

Well I do but one is for the CPU cooler fan. So I don’t think I can split that one. 

How does the case fan hub work? And more importantly where the heck can I store it in my pc. Like is it just like basically a splitter for 10 fans?

Just now, XxRescueRabbitxX said:

Well I do but one is for the CPU cooler fan. So I don’t think I can split that one. 

How does the case fan hub work? And more importantly where the heck can I store it in my pc. Like is it just like basically a splitter for 10 fans?

Behind the motherboard tray, where all your cables go. You supply the hub with SATA power from your PSU, the include PWM cable to your motherboard, then all the fans plug into it. Its an extremely simple device. Essentially the PWM or in very simple terms, the speed signal will be sent to the hub and to all the case fans. In a basic setup like yours, that's ideal. 

1 minute ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Behind the motherboard tray, where all your cables go. You supply the hub with SATA power from your PSU, the include PWM cable to your motherboard, then all the fans plug into it. Its an extremely simple device. Essentially the PWM or in very simple terms, the speed signal will be sent to the hub and to all the case fans. In a basic setup like yours, that's ideal. 

I have one problem in the fact that my GPU kinda covers 2 SATA ports. My GPU currently is a RX Vega 56 but I have the 3070 to put in. I just need a higher PSU. 

9 minutes ago, XxRescueRabbitxX said:

Ah okay that’s really helpful! I’d most likely do 5, 120mm just for the sake of it all matching. 

See this is the problem. I only have two fan pins. One is for my CPU cooler and the other is for case fans. My one built in fan that came with the case is currently in that one slot. So to maximise how many fans I can have I’d need two splitters. Unless they do a 5 way splitter which I doubt. And I’d have to attach a splitter IN a splitter. Which I hope would be okay?

I only have one hard drive, one SSD and one NVMe SSD and the other two are in hard drive bays so I wouldn’t be loading it up massively. So you agree P12’s are great for both effectiveness and price value?

Honestly yeah I see that now. But when my pc was built before it was an ex who picked the parts for me to buy and they built it. I’ve been getting into pc building myself just trying to upgrade my current pc and I’ve learnt now it was stupid getting this case. 

Your current drives aren't enough to majorly impact your intake. In my own Phanteks case I have 5 HDD's in the front which is enough to force me to crank my fans far harder than I expected as its pretty much a wall steel. I am hoping switch cases here in coming months to solve this.

4 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Don't do that. If you have two fan headers, use a splitter on each, you'd be able to run 6 fans. That or a powered fan hub

I fully

agree with GuiltySpark that a fan hub would be best way to control and power the number of fans you are looking at. You can leave the CPU fan alone as it really should be controlled on its own while the fan hub does the business of controlling the case fans.

Phanteks does make one such hub: https://www.newegg.com/phanteks-ph-pwhub-02-black/p/N82E16811984030?Description=pwm fan controller&cm_re=pwm_fan controller-_-11-984-030-_-Product&quicklink=true

However there are other brands of course to choose from.

1 minute ago, XxRescueRabbitxX said:

I have one problem in the fact that my GPU kinda covers 2 SATA ports. My GPU currently is a RX Vega 56 but I have the 3070 to put in. I just need a higher PSU. 

The fan hub wouldn't need to plug into the SATA ports so that should be a non issue. If memory serves fan cables aren't very thick so routing should be pretty simple even in a loaded case which doesn't seem to be a factor here.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

I'm not sure any of that would affect this unless i'm missing something. By SATA power I meant one of the SATA power connectors coming off your PSU, its needed to power the hub and therefor all the fans you plug into it.

I'm not sure any of that would affect this unless i'm missing something. By SATA power I meant one of the SATA power connectors coming off your PSU, its needed to power the hub and therefor all the fans you plug into it.

Oh wait it’s ON the PSU? I thought it was one of the SATA connectors on the motherboard?

On Amazon at least, i'm only seeing the P12 PWM's in a 5-pack but its still a great price. That plus their fan hub would be a real simple solution to proper cooling. You could replace whatever fan is already in that case to at least be somewhat uniform aesthetics wise. 

Oh wait it’s ON the PSU? I thought it was one of the SATA connectors on the motherboard?

You likely have a cable coming off of your PSU that looks like this, its used to power SATA devices, SSD's, hard drives, etc.. That connector is commonly used to power other accessories like fan hubs and pumps. Its possible if you have a fully modular PSU and no SATA devices, you didn't hook up this cable but it definitely came with one. 

81srP-66K7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

4 minutes ago, Hybris5112 said:

Your current drives aren't enough to majorly impact your intake. In my own Phanteks case I have 5 HDD's in the front which is enough to force me to crank my fans far harder than I expected as its pretty much a wall steel. I am hoping switch cases here in coming months to solve this.

Phanteks does make one such hub: https://www.newegg.com/phanteks-ph-pwhub-02-black/p/N82E16811984030?Description=pwm fan controller&cm_re=pwm_fan controller-_-11-984-030-_-Product&quicklink=true

The fan hub wouldn't need to plug into the SATA ports so that should be a non issue. If memory serves fan cables aren't very thick so routing should be pretty simple even in a loaded case which doesn't seem to be a factor here.

So with the amount of drives I have it won’t be a problem for the fans to keep cool?

Well which do you recommend yourself? I’m not sure what the UI is for either of these and how to switch speeds easiest for the fans. I’m a beginner so something not very complicated heh! 

You likely have a cable coming off of your PSU that looks like this, its used to power SATA devices, SSD's, hard drives, etc.. That connector is commonly used to power other accessories like fan hubs and pumps. Its possible if you have a fully modular PSU and no SATA devices, you didn't hook up this cable but it definitely came with one. 

81srP-66K7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Oh well I’m certain I have seen a cable like that .. I might have to open it up tomorrow and check I’ve got a slot free. Though I’m certain I just plugged my drives into the motherboard. Though I would be getting a fully modular PSU (an Corsair RM850 850 Watt 80+ Gold Fully Modular PSU) so I assume if I don’t have the cable in currently this new one will come with one! 

6 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

On Amazon at least, i'm only seeing the P12 PWM's in a 5-pack but its still a great price. That plus their fan hub would be a real simple solution to proper cooling. You could replace whatever fan is already in that case to at least be somewhat uniform aesthetics wise. 

If I didn’t want to remove the case fan currently would the fan hub work with any fan I throw at it? And it’s it all 4 pin connectors cause my current one in the case is a 3 pin. 

22 minutes ago, XxRescueRabbitxX said:

If I didn’t want to remove the case fan currently would the fan hub work with any fan I throw at it? And it’s it all 4 pin connectors cause my current one in the case is a 3 pin. 

You can but that's really not ideal, it'll likely just run at full speed. Removing a fan is super simple, i'd just replace it and use all Arctic fans. ezpz

7 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

You can but that's really not ideal, it'll likely just run at full speed. Removing a fan is super simple, i'd just replace it and use all Arctic fans. ezpz

Fair enough! I’ll most likely do that then. How would I go about actually editing the speed of the fans if I wanted to keep them balanced or high? Or do they just kinda go one pace and that’s it?

58 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Don't do that. If you have two fan headers, use a splitter on each, you'd be able to run 6 fans. 

the artic fans have fan splitors on them...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

7 minutes ago, XxRescueRabbitxX said:

Fair enough! I’ll most likely do that then. How would I go about actually editing the speed of the fans if I wanted to keep them balanced or high? Or do they just kinda go one pace and that’s it?

That would be done in your motherboards fan control section. It's done per header and since you only have two, the CPU fan header and the case/chassis header, it'll be pretty simple. Plug the hub into the case/chassis header then just adjust the curve to your liking to balance airflow and noise. These fans are very quiet, even at full speed which is nice.