Why is my SSD transferring data (it seems) slowly?

FailPr00f
Go to solution Solved by kirashi,
7 minutes ago, FailPr00f said:

I decided to transfer a game (Lost Ark) from my WD_BLACK SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive to my Toshiba 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive.

My question is why does it seem to transfer so slowly from my SSD to my HDD? Both are in good health (checked smart data through crystaldiskinfo). On the SSD, the max sequential read speed is supposed to be up to 3430MB/s and the max sequential write speed is supposed to be up to 3000MB/s, but both seem much, much slower. I think maybe I'm misreading or misinterpreting the data here or maybe not. Is the SSD being bottlenecked by the HDD? Either way can someone help me out and explain this to me?

I've attached 4 images below. The first two show transferring Lost Ark from SSD to HDD with SSD and HDD view from task manager performance tab, and the second two show transferring Lost Ark from HDD to SSD with SSD and HDD view from task manager performance tab.

Also here are my full PC specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tB3GrV. If any more info is needed just let me know.

Thanks,

Quentin

SSD to HDD - SSD view

SSDtoHDD-SSDview

SSD to HDD - HDD view

SSDtoHDD-HDDview

-----------------------------------------------------------------

HDD to SSD - SSD view

HDDtoSSD-SSDview

HDD to SSD - HDD view

HDDtoSSD-HDDview

File transfers between 2 storage mediums only operate as fast as the slowest medium. Since you're moving files between a spinning rust disk (HDD) and a lightning flashy boi (SSD), your speeds are limited to the read & write capabilities of the slower drive.

I decided to transfer a game (Lost Ark) from my WD_BLACK SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive to my Toshiba 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive.

My question is why does it seem to transfer so slowly from my SSD to my HDD? Both are in good health (checked smart data through crystaldiskinfo). On the SSD, the max sequential read speed is supposed to be up to 3430MB/s and the max sequential write speed is supposed to be up to 3000MB/s, but both seem much, much slower. I think maybe I'm misreading or misinterpreting the data here or maybe not. Is the SSD being bottlenecked by the HDD? Either way can someone help me out and explain this to me?

I've attached 4 images below. The first two show transferring Lost Ark from SSD to HDD with SSD and HDD view from task manager performance tab, and the second two show transferring Lost Ark from HDD to SSD with SSD and HDD view from task manager performance tab.

Also here are my full PC specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tB3GrV. If any more info is needed just let me know.

Thanks,

Quentin

SSD to HDD - SSD view

SSDtoHDD-SSDview

SSD to HDD - HDD view

SSDtoHDD-HDDview

HDD to SSD - SSD view

HDDtoSSD-SSDview

HDD to SSD - HDD view

HDDtoSSD-HDDview

Because mechanical drives are limited to 150MB/s~ in most cases. No matter how fast your SSD is, your HDD is constrained to its slow speeds.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

7 minutes ago, FailPr00f said:

Thanks,

Quentin

SSD to HDD - SSD view

SSDtoHDD-SSDview

SSD to HDD - HDD view

SSDtoHDD-HDDview

HDD to SSD - SSD view

HDDtoSSD-SSDview

HDD to SSD - HDD view

HDDtoSSD-HDDview

File transfers between 2 storage mediums only operate as fast as the slowest medium. Since you're moving files between a spinning rust disk (HDD) and a lightning flashy boi (SSD), your speeds are limited to the read & write capabilities of the slower drive.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

You can clearly see in your own screenshots that your HDD is being maxed out when you copy from and to. That is literally the definition of bottleneck.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

9 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Okay yeah makes sense. As I was finishing writing up the post I kind of figured it was bottleneck looking at the graph so that's why I threw that question in there lol. Still getting used to posting on here so good practice anyway and thank you for the useful answer anyway. 👍